Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Commanding chat - Official discussion thread

I hope the /who command doesn't make it into campaigns, it's too easy and too free and provides too much information with no real skill involved. 

I hope in the future it will be filtered to your faction, cause I agree, It's too much information.

For the new module coming out I'm not too concerned, if people want to count how many people their opponent has, go ahead.   At the same time... if they are sorted alphabetically, and no guild information is given, then meh....

We have no idea what the rules are going to be for the new module, it may already be filtered by faction... /shrug

How is this giving too much information? From what I understand, it just tells you who's online. Not where they are, what they're doing, whose side they're on; just that they're online.

I'm with blazzen, this is a necessary function with the impending persistent world testing but a whole news drop about it? You're reaching for straws here... 

Well, they gotta talk about SOMETHING in these updates. I guess this was something that they were ready to reveal...

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

How is this giving too much information? From what I understand, it just tells you who's online. Not where they are, what they're doing, whose side they're on; just that they're online.

If it tells you who is online from the opposite faction/guild/team, that is more information that is given in a /who function in any game with OWPVP I have ever played.

It could discourage people from going out and looking for PvP if they /who and go "oh hey, these guys have people online, let's not go out there".  It could trivialize people going to scout. 

Like i said, I'm not too concerned for this next module if they show everyone or not. Come actual CWs, I will be dissapointed if they show everyone in a single list of who is online in your CW.  Although, dumping up to several thousand people in one list that pops in your chat screen might just be a bit much. I have seen other games just show the first 25-50 people alphabetically, and then just have a total number of players online.  That is something I would not be against in the slightest.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

Well, they gotta talk about SOMETHING in these updates. I guess this was something that they were ready to reveal...

It's almost as if if you know which people are in a certain guild, knowing when they are online or not might be advantageous or something. 

If this is truly a survival game and they want you to go into a sandbox and figure things out for yourself, telling you how many people are online or who they are isn't really in line with that. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

If it tells you who is online from the opposite faction/guild/team, that is more information that is given in a /who function in any game with OWPVP I have ever played.

It could discourage people from going out and looking for PvP if they /who and go "oh hey, these guys have people online, let's not go out there".  It could trivialize people going to scout. 

Like i said, I'm not too concerned for this next module if they show everyone or not. Come actual CWs, I will be dissapointed if they show everyone in a single list of who is online in your CW.  Although, dumping up to several thousand people in one list that pops in your chat screen might just be a bit much. I have seen other games just show the first 25-50 people alphabetically, and then just have a total number of players online.  That is something I would not be against in the slightest.

The thing is you will always know the top enemy players. You will see them on a regular basis as they will be playing a lot. The world maps are gonna be huge as well so just cause 100/1000 people are online doesn't mean that you wont go out and hunt. If you are a type of person that goes /who and sees the best 15 players online and is like nope not playing today because theses guys are online then well Crowfall probably isn't the game for you..  

I do think it should be for your faction only though. Although I do like to see the total server population numbers but not names. It would greatly help to know how health a said CW is or if this is something that many people disliked and probably will be dying next CW set up.

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

The thing is you will always know the top enemy players. You will see them on a regular basis as they will be playing a lot. The world maps are gonna be huge as well so just cause 100/1000 people are online doesn't mean that you wont go out and hunt. If you are a type of person that goes /who and sees the best 15 players online and is like nope not playing today because theses guys are online then well Crowfall probably isn't the game for you..  

I do think it should be for your faction only though. Although I do like to see the total server population numbers but not names. It would greatly help to know how health a said CW is or if this is something that many people disliked and probably will be dying next CW set up.

The fact that you would be able to type /who and see who is online instead of having to use information networks and scouts and stuff is ridiculous. 

The thing is you will always know the top enemy players. You will see them on a regular basis as they will be playing a lot. The world maps are gonna be huge as well so just cause 100/1000 people are online doesn't mean that you wont go out and hunt. If you are a type of person that goes /who and sees the best 15 players online and is like nope not playing today because theses guys are online then well Crowfall probably isn't the game for you.

I have no doubt in my mind that some people would use /who to avoid people (if it displayed EVERYONE who is online in your CW).  No question.  It also doesn't even make sense to dump 1000-2000 names in to a chat box when a fully fleshed out CW launches, it's just too much. TBH though, not sure who would want to look through 1000-2000 names to see if some people online, someone will do it though.

I don't really care, I will just be dissapointed if they let it go that far.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

The fact that you would be able to type /who and see who is online instead of having to use information networks and scouts and stuff is ridiculous. 

Why? You still need scouts to see where they are. just simply notifying people hey these 100-2000 people are online doesn't give you their location at all.

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

I have no doubt in my mind that some people would use /who to avoid people (if it displayed EVERYONE who is online in your CW).  No question.  It also doesn't even make sense to dump 1000-2000 names in to a chat box when a fully fleshed out CW launches, it's just too much. TBH though, not sure who would want to look through 1000-2000 names to see if some people online, someone will do it though.

I don't really care, I will just be dissapointed if they let it go that far.

Ya looking through thousands of names doesn't seem like it would really benefit anyone that much. The smaller the CW worlds are the more powerful this is. If you have over 1000 users I really don't see it being useful at all.

Edited by YouTubejasonwivart

Ok, using /who as a way to sneak attack your enemies is probably not something that should be allowed.

You could do that with or without a /who command isn't that what a scout does

Why? You still need scouts to see where they are. just simply notifying people hey these 100-2000 people are online doesn't give you their location at all.

But why do you deserve to have that information?  Convenience?  What makes for a better tactical pvp game, posting scouts to check out enemy territories and try to critically think about what they are scouting and trying to figure out what your enemies are up to?  Or typing /who and seeing everyone who is online?  What is it about magically knowing how many people are online makes sense for a survivial throne war pvp game?  I'd like games to go back to making people think and learn about the game world they are in, instead of giving them all of this free information like a lot of current convenience games do. 

EVE has a real-time Local list that shows everyone in the system.

Eve is a pretty awful pvp game imo, I'd rather crowfall look at the emergent pvp from survival games than to look at a spreadsheet game.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL