Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quurk

Not sure how I feel about Crowfall

I've been following Crowfall for some time now, I was a huge fan of ShadowBane and I love the hardcore aspects of Risk vs Reward.

Eve online, UO, ShabowBane, Mortal Online, SWG.  Ive always leaned more towards games with a penalty more than Xp/Equip degrade upon death. Full Loot drops, partial loot drops, destroyed ships...  Something were dying sucks, but still fun enough to make you go out and PvP.  Losing all your stuff isnt the greatest, but when you win, the reward is just that much better. I don't hate carebears, I just don't want the game to focus around them.  If they don't want to risk their items to get better items, then getting Legendary tier items should be out of their grasp.

When i first heard about Crowfall the game to me, sounded like a Multi Faction moba with a persistent universe always fighting for territory. You had your own kingdom where friends can come visit and you can set up shops, buildings and do what ever you want in your X by X land to an extent. When your Faction(or God) is battling for more control, you can enroll to various skirmishes varying from Carebear status to Full Loot deaths.

Looking at the game now, I am still excited to play and experience what this game has to offer; I am hesitant though. Vessels, Different Gods, I am trying to figure out how all that will play out.

What i see the game being is:

You start the game as a Crow(soul ripped from hell/heaven) by various Gods that try to make you fight for them, then you choose your alliance to[more to the affect of how Factions are with Eve Online] . There would be Nine or more Gods all various back stories, affiliations with other Gods and each God would have two allies and two enemies[baha'i star]. Yet if you decide to choose a God you seem is awesome but your friend chooses a God that isn't affiliated with it, you could defect/apostate and join your friend, similar to being a freelance mercenary or sellsword.

The game would play similar to Guild Wars 2 or ESO PvP map, you would have multiple points of interest that needs to be taken. Some would be resources, that would periodically send shipments to the home base, Which could be intercepted by an enemy faction and stolen if not protected(this would give smaller groups that couldnt siege a point of interest a feeling of helping their cause) Some would be Garrisons that would periodically spawn fighters and siege weapons to push forward towards their enemy(but not being truly able to siege a fortified structure without Crows help). Others could be keeps that could lock down and send defenders back towards their allies.  A constant battle would be going; at a stand still until Crows get involved.

Vessels... i feel should play similar to Eve Onlines ships, you can outfit them, store them and can take them to battle. But if in a Hardcore skirmish, dying would mean losing them, the Crow would be expelled from the Vessel and the victor would be able to loot the spoils, only a limited amount of the dead Crows items should be able to be taken and the rest become broken scrap. This would cause problems.. Thus, items should be relatively easy to acquire, only legendary items should take time to get. When you first start the game, the Crow acquires a green tier vessel of their choosing. All white tier vessels should be free and available at their EK or the skirmishes home base. Unless the Skirmish type states otherwise. When acquiring a new vessel, they should also come equipped with standard gear so players can readily get back into battle.

Yet I have no idea where the direction of the game is going since it is evolving every day with new ideas and concepts.

Edited by Quurk

I've been following Crowfall for some time now, I was a huge fan of ShadowBane and I love the hardcore aspects of Risk vs Reward.

Eve online, UO, ShabowBane, Mortal Online, SWG.  Ive always leaned more towards games with a penalty more than Xp/Equip degrade upon death. Full Loot drops, partial loot drops, destroyed ships...  Something were dying sucks, but still fun enough to make you go out and PvP.  Losing all your stuff isnt the greatest, but when you win, the reward is just that much better. I don't hate carebears, I just don't want the game to focus around them.  If they don't want to risk their items to get better items, then getting Legendary tier items should be out of their grasp.

When i first heard about Crowfall the game to me, sounded like a Multi Faction moba with a persistent universe always fighting for territory. You had your own kingdom where friends can come visit and you can set up shops, buildings and do what ever you want in your X by X land to an extent. When your Faction(or God) is battling for more control, you can enroll to various skirmishes varying from Carebear status to Full Loot deaths.

Looking at the game now, I am still excited to play and experience what this game has to offer; I am hesitant though. Vessels, Different Gods, I am trying to figure out how all that will play out.

What i see the game being is:

You start the game as a Crow(soul ripped from hell/heaven) by various Gods that try to make you fight for them, then you choose your alliance to[more to the affect of how Factions are with Eve Online] . There would be Nine or more Gods all various back stories, affiliations with other Gods and each God would have two allies and two enemies[looking like a complete graph nonagram]. Yet if you decide to choose a God you seem is awesome but your friend chooses a God that isn't affiliated with it, you could defect/apostate and join your friend, similar to being a freelance mercenary or sellsword.

The game would play similar to Guild Wars 2 or ESO PvP map, you would have multiple points of interest that needs to be taken. Some would be resources, that would periodically send shipments to the home base, Which could be intercepted by an enemy faction and stolen if not protected(this would give smaller groups that couldnt siege a point of interest a feeling of helping their cause) Some would be Garrisons that would periodically spawn fighters and siege weapons to push forward towards their enemy(but not being truly able to siege a fortified structure without Crows help). Others could be keeps that could lock down and send defenders back towards their allies.  A constant battle would be going; at a stand still until Crows get involved.

Vessels... i feel should play similar to Eve Onlines ships, you can outfit them, store them and can take them to battle. But if in a Hardcore skirmish, dying would mean losing them, the Crow would be expelled from the Vessel and the victor would be able to loot the spoils, only a limited amount of the dead Crows items should be able to be taken and the rest become broken scrap. This would cause problems.. Thus, items should be relatively easy to acquire, only legendary items should take time to get. When you first start the game, the Crow acquires a green tier vessel of their choosing. All white tier vessels should be free and available at their EK or the skirmishes home base. Unless the Skirmish type states otherwise. When acquiring a new vessel, they should also come equipped with standard gear so players can readily get back into battle.

Yet I have no idea where the direction of the game is going since it is evolving every day with new ideas and concepts.

Crowfall has many rulesets, I don't think your god selection is going to matter much in many of them. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Crowfall has many rulesets, I don't think your god selection is going to matter much in many of them. 

Eve online has multiple Factions but dont really matter much either, but it helps immersion and give people a guide towards a goal.

if the game is lacking immersion and something that people will really get into then the game will die.  The game needs its own Lore so people can enjoy the story. Not just jump into random battles that they don't care for. 

Eve online has multiple Factions but dont really matter much either, but it helps immersion and give people a guide towards a goal.

if the game is lacking immersion and something that people will really get into then the game will die.  The game needs its own Lore so people can enjoy the story. Not just jump into random battles that they don't care for. 

Crowfall is not eve...

Crowfall is like an action combat pvp board game that will have evolving rules and many different rulesets for people to pick from.  It's going to be a fairly casual experience overall. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

If you're playing the game for story you've come to the wrong place. The game has enough lore for you to "make sense" of things, but it doesn't have a long elaborate campaign story. 

Edited by helix

Item destruction upon death is not likely. Hopefully in some rulesets it will be more common.

Good lore really will help retain and inspire players. ACE, please go see what Sam Meridian is up to these days. You need him!

CF will be good enough for you until better comes along, or it won't.

You have money in it already, so like the rest of us you're in it until you see the product at launch.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Crowfall won't have this kind npc stuff going on - not sure where you read this, or is it a suggestion?  In Crowfall players will do the harvesting and transporting of resources, build the keeps, and siege the keeps.

tiPrpwh.png

*Confused*

None of us know exactly what it'll be like yet and really none of us are in the position to comment on what the final game product is going to be like yet.

So in the words of a great master "Patience you must have my young Padawan"

Edited by Mother_Fable

Ex-Member of :   Lf6MJUL.png  Re-applying soon!

I think you are confused with some gameplay elements. I will not go into details, as they may change during the development, but pretty much everything you think will happen is going to happen... the way you want them to be (as some of your concerns are relevant and actually pretty much already addressed). Quick explanations:

Low tier items will be really easy to acquire via player's Eternal Kingdom. High tier items will require players to take big risks if they want the big rewards. And yes, if you die, you may lose your vessel and its gear (depending on the ruleset of the campaign you've chosen to fight in). In summary, be ready to risk it all if you want to win it all.

Vessels will be actually similar to EvE ships. You can have multiple times the same, equip them / skill them differently, loot others' you've killed, trade them, craft them, etc.

Each archetype (class / hero if you prefer) will have a quite specific set of skills, thus forcing the players to have combo teams rather than FOTM archetype for all. This is the only similar point with MOBAs. The rest is different. For example, I don't think garrison and outpost will spawn fighting NPCs (even tho it could be an idea for some campaigns). The only stream of ressources, attacks, defenses, etc, will be assured completely by players actions, as will be the entire game economy. The only NPCs you will find will be similar to other's MMORPGs, offering their services (maybe side quests in the future like Cyrodiil? which could be nice for soloer/junglers or solo moments, but that is a story for another time).

Concerning the Gods, either their faction, or themselves, will work pretty much like the factional warfare of EvE. The big difference is that you can fight for one in a campaign, and fight for another in the next campaign (either god, or god's faction). So, nothing to worry about if your friends have chosen another one before you, you will be able to join their side in the next campaign.

I hope it will help you having a better grasp at what Crowfall is going to be. But the way I am reading your post, you would like it.

Edited by Eaden

Some of your understanding is a bit off in my opinion, but most of it is accurate in regards to what we know so far. I can't claim you to be right or wrong because they could very well not deliver the game in the ways they have promised, so I won't go into specifics, people before me have done it already.

My suggestion, if you don't know how you feel about the game, is keep following the game and see how it ends up. If you don't want to waste time or have no patience to keep following it, then simply don't. Play other games, do other things in your life, come back in 6 months and check some gameplay videos and recent news. See how you feel, repeat until you see things you really like or until you decide you don't want to play, whatever happens first.

Some of us like investing time and effort following game developments, join or set up guilds. But not all of us are built like that, figure out which one you are and care for the game in proportion to that. Self knowledge is the road to happiness.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

Crowfall won't have this kind npc stuff going on - not sure where you read this, or is it a suggestion?  In Crowfall players will do the harvesting and transporting of resources, build the keeps, and siege the keeps.

But I like the idea, maybe Crowfall could have this in certain rulesets.   :)

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I think you are under a few misconceptions. 

You can create cities that cant be attacked.

There will be factions vs factions.

There will be gods vs gods.

There will be guilds vs guilds.

There will be free for all.

All of the above are true, just not at the same time. Each has what are considered by ACE different level of difficulties, the free for all (dreggs) being the most difficult and the one where the player can has full control of their zone the least (Eternal Kingdom) difficult. The Eternal Kingdom also being the only one persistent, the other ones are dying worlds that are dynamically generated.

The higher the difficulty, the bigger the reward

Also aside from that base ruleset it can have additional rules and restrictions unique to that world. This allows each dreggs run to not only be a different world but potentially a different experience all together. Example may be a dreggs with no stealth,  no healing, no mounts, all items drop on death, or any one of those. Also each ruleset has different item rules, as in, what items you can bring in too the campaign, the dreggs generally believed to not being able to bring anything.

The idea is to out of the 5 select your preferred playstyle and then each experience should be unique to that world. Also there is no reason it should stay just the 5, they can add more and try different things.

Thats whats good about the dying worlds, if they try something and its absolutely lousy its not game ending, that world dies in a week or so and they dont do it again.

However, with that being said, i believe at soft launch only dreggs will be available with different rulesets.

CfWBSig.png

OP said MOBA... why!!!!!!

Multiplayer

Battle

Arena

In the literal meaning of the word, you could classify CF as having massive arenas in the form of Campaign Worlds where players fight, but dead horse is dead.

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

The pantheon and lore are intentionally low-key. Their purpose, respectively, is to add a rallying point and a bit of flavor. 

Here's an explanation from Todd:

The primary purpose of the gods is to create a narrative backdrop and to give us a natural team mechanism for players to fall into.Humans naturally gravitate into team structures when a strong hierarchy is presented (sports, politics, etc.) Structurally, we want to be able to provide default teams for players who don’t already have social ties and thematic wrappers for those who do.

RP-wise, since the Crows have no former knowledge of their previous lives, they wouldn't have a steadfast allegiance to any particular god. It's simply the flavor-of-the-moment for them. Design-wise, this presents players with options so they can band together against other factions fluidly from campaign to campaign without being locked into a specific faction forever. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

The pantheon and lore are intentionally low-key. Their purpose, respectively, is to add a rallying point and a bit of flavor. 

Here's an explanation from Todd:

RP-wise, since the Crows have no former knowledge of their previous lives, they wouldn't have a steadfast allegiance to any particular god. It's simply the flavor-of-the-moment for them. Design-wise, this presents players with options so they can band together against other factions fluidly from campaign to campaign without being locked into a specific faction forever. 

Oh wow - thats a pretty big plot point for the RP! 

I don't know how else to say this - but sorry Pann - please tell Todd he's absolutely wrong... *hides.*

"no memory of past lives" is basically a character wipe.

How is spiritual identity handled in Crowfall - it's all very well to say "oh there are gods." but shouldn't there be a capability for advanced understanding of the nature of the universe? The lore needs to include that - allow for the attainment of a spiritual awareness outside of the realm of the physical.

The understanding of the metaphysical Crow aspect should be possible to acquire - at the very least as a "nirvana state", although I would argue it should be default for every crow to know its own nature even as it posesses a lifeform - why else would archetypes be so careless with life and willing to collect parts for butchery? Or are archetypes now reduced to mindless ghouls that will never question why they are dissecting the corpses of the slain dead on the battlefield?

Other thoughts:

Crowfall needs to be more than a slow MOBA... and one of the things that can set it apart is longevity and consistency of characters through campaigns. Some level of permanence needs to be there - not merely in the EK or the "items I can collect" but in the characters and memories I make for myself and the alliances I build - also with supreme beings..

Towards Permanence:

Some of us are picking deity allegiences carefully as its one of the few lore bits that are relateable, and working crow-awareness in as a way to put some level of continuity into our characters.. RP is a long term thing. If characters become too throwaway, or exist in a world where their identities are throwaway then honestly I think character narratives are going to suffer. Already the nature of the world has turned everyone's archetypes into a sack of parts for assembly - if you don't allow us spiritual consistency then there is no RP - there is no story.

I understand that the primary purpose of the lore is to push the game forward - but please dont kill our creative outlets by reducing Gods and the backstory to something superficial to be picked up and dropped after every match. I hope the lore will be a bit more than there simply to facilitate the game mechanics. Otherwise it wil be likely be just something tacked on. 

And even then - game mechanics can be changed. What about a loyalty bonus for players that stick to their god through thick and thin.. what about a recruitment bonus for managing to "convert" players into your religion (even temporariliy). What about "fanatic" bonuses - special small skills and tokens to enhance the godly buffs like we get from religious statues? What about an "enlightened state" that allows characters to understand their true crow nature, and gain buffs in the EK for it?

To balance those out - What about a heretic buff for those that reject all deities? What about a blasphemy bonus for someone who keeps switching - even mid campaign. 

There are so many ways to gamify loyalty. And to put it in Todds terms loyalty is a PRIMARY currency that can give players a consistent and long term game experience much better than "wipe and repeat." stories.

Just my 2c.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Oh wow - thats a pretty big plot point for the RP! 

I don't know how else to say this - but sorry Pann - please tell Todd he's absolutely wrong... *hides.*

"no memory of past lives" is basically a character wipe.

are archetypes now reduced to mindless ghouls that will never question why they are dissecting the corpses of the slain dead on the battlefield?

I think you misunderstood what she meant. I think she meant we have no memory of our mortal lives before we became Crows-- not that our memories are wiped after each campaign.

IhhQKY6.gif

I think you misunderstood what she meant. I think she meant we have no memory of our mortal lives before we became Crows-- not that our memories are wiped after each campaign.

I think the bit that is relevant is: Design-wise, this presents players with options so they can band together against other factions fluidly from campaign to campaign without being locked into a specific faction forever. 

That suggests interchangeable deities - which infers archetypes have no crow memory...

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon