Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quurk

Not sure how I feel about Crowfall

That suggests interchangeable deities - which infers archetypes have no crow memory...

I don't think you need amnesia to serve different gods.

You may be right, though. I am not sure what she meant.

I'm not a fan of amnesiac Crows as lore, though. I would leave it up to the players to decide what their Crows know.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

To hear the Crows have no recollection of their previous iteration kind of bums me out, I was going to write a lore story for that competition that centered around a Crow waking up as a Mino living in muddy squalor and being fully bummed out because the life they previously had as a Confessor was one of lavish plenty, living off the tithes of destitute and religious peasant folk. Oh well. 

Hg0LXwa.png

To hear the Crows have no recollection of their previous iteration kind of bums me out, I was going to write a lore story for that competition that centered around a Crow waking up as a Mino living in muddy squalor and being fully bummed out because the life they previously had as a Confessor was one of lavish plenty, living off the tithes of destitute and religious peasant folk. Oh well. 

I hope you will still write it! The competition needs more entries.

Also I think we can stay positive towards how it will eventually turn out. I'm pretty sure there will be a wealth of information coming. And the devs have always been really open about the design so I'm pretty sure the lore building will get the same wide view when the time comes. Also I hope we can demonstrate that we are a strong writing community - and if we can keep that up and grow ourselves the devs might give us a bit of love in actually piecing together some of the background *fingers crossed*.

Lastly: The GREAT thing about Crowfall keeping its Lore in the backseat is it allows the storytellers to come forward... If you check out the fiction that people are writing it shows we have creative minds raring to turn themselves loose in the world... and if we can just keep up the creative efforts: Building stories and dreams as a community, then we can make this universe epic for ourselves... which is what I think the Art+Craft vision is: Freeing the gamers by giving them the tools to build.

If what we build is not what they imagined - I think they should be even more proud that it was accomplished through their design - and that's true whether its an emergent gameplay system or a new approach to the fiction.

Edited by Deloria

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

The pantheon and lore are intentionally low-key. Their purpose, respectively, is to add a rallying point and a bit of flavor. 

Here's an explanation from Todd:

RP-wise, since the Crows have no former knowledge of their previous lives, they wouldn't have a steadfast allegiance to any particular god. It's simply the flavor-of-the-moment for them. Design-wise, this presents players with options so they can band together against other factions fluidly from campaign to campaign without being locked into a specific faction forever. 

So long as we can have . . . Honey Badgers.

(clears throat "innocently" whilst examining the ceiling as if there is something interesting up there):  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3e/33/2b/3e332be63bf09f4f7af7c12ecec8abe5.jpg

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

There is always an exception to the rule. Quite the tortured soul that would be, specially if he identifies a previous lover's crow inside a vessel.

CfWBSig.png

Eve online has multiple Factions but dont really matter much either, but it helps immersion and give people a guide towards a goal.

if the game is lacking immersion and something that people will really get into then the game will die.  The game needs its own Lore so people can enjoy the story. Not just jump into random battles that they don't care for. 

"Immersion" is a personal subjective aspect of gaming. I care little about lore, story, quest lines, yadda yadda. The battle is what I enjoy, not reading about one that took place a hundred years ago in a video game world. Some backstory and context is nice as I'd rather not be running around as stick figures without any substance, but it's all relative to what and who the game is made for.

As crows, I don't know indeed if we can remember our past lives or not. The way we are described, we are some sort of spirit who goes from one vessel to another, and don't remember our actions during those lives, but only the "muscle memory" or skills acquired. So concerning amnesia, we...

Wait, what are we talking about already?

As crows, I don't know indeed if we can remember our past lives or not. The way we are described, we are some sort of spirit who goes from one vessel to another, and don't remember our actions during those lives, but only the "muscle memory" or skills acquired. So concerning amnesia, we...

Wait, what are we talking about already?

I agree that Crows should have the capacity to remember, but they should also have the capacity to forget. I can see the lives blurring together after enough of them have gone by, or Crows choosing to forget because it has no bearing to them. However, I honestly don't see how that would work in the crafting, RP, and harvesting parts of the game. Crows just "know" automatically who to trade with? Who specializes in what resource or what recipes create what? How does a Crow know which Eternal Kingdom to return to? Even in battle, they just "know" who they are fighting with and what strategies work best? What of character friendships, loyalties, or working relationships? Not everything can be chalked up to muscle memory, and for those of us who enjoy building characters through RP, that is a real let-down, and from a character sense, would probably lead to a sense of purposelessness. Overall, I think the concept opens up more questions than solves problems. If a character wants to change allegiances between Campaigns, why not just let them be a fickle character? Or seduced by the idea of reward? Or simply mercenary in their dealings? 

Basically, I think that while memory loss would be an interesting part of being a Crow, a complete wipe would be counter-productive, unless that is specifically how a player wants their Crow to be. 

Oh wow - thats a pretty big plot point for the RP! 

I don't know how else to say this - but sorry Pann - please tell Todd he's absolutely wrong... *hides.*

"no memory of past lives" is basically a character wipe.

How is spiritual identity handled in Crowfall - it's all very well to say "oh there are gods." but shouldn't there be a capability for advanced understanding of the nature of the universe? The lore needs to include that - allow for the attainment of a spiritual awareness outside of the realm of the physical.

The understanding of the metaphysical Crow aspect should be possible to acquire - at the very least as a "nirvana state", although I would argue it should be default for every crow to know its own nature even as it posesses a lifeform - why else would archetypes be so careless with life and willing to collect parts for butchery? Or are archetypes now reduced to mindless ghouls that will never question why they are dissecting the corpses of the slain dead on the battlefield?

Other thoughts:

Crowfall needs to be more than a slow MOBA... and one of the things that can set it apart is longevity and consistency of characters through campaigns. Some level of permanence needs to be there - not merely in the EK or the "items I can collect" but in the characters and memories I make for myself and the alliances I build - also with supreme beings..

Towards Permanence:

Some of us are picking deity allegiences carefully as its one of the few lore bits that are relateable, and working crow-awareness in as a way to put some level of continuity into our characters.. RP is a long term thing. If characters become too throwaway, or exist in a world where their identities are throwaway then honestly I think character narratives are going to suffer. Already the nature of the world has turned everyone's archetypes into a sack of parts for assembly - if you don't allow us spiritual consistency then there is no RP - there is no story.

I understand that the primary purpose of the lore is to push the game forward - but please dont kill our creative outlets by reducing Gods and the backstory to something superficial to be picked up and dropped after every match. I hope the lore will be a bit more than there simply to facilitate the game mechanics. Otherwise it wil be likely be just something tacked on. 

And even then - game mechanics can be changed. What about a loyalty bonus for players that stick to their god through thick and thin.. what about a recruitment bonus for managing to "convert" players into your religion (even temporariliy). What about "fanatic" bonuses - special small skills and tokens to enhance the godly buffs like we get from religious statues? What about an "enlightened state" that allows characters to understand their true crow nature, and gain buffs in the EK for it?

To balance those out - What about a heretic buff for those that reject all deities? What about a blasphemy bonus for someone who keeps switching - even mid campaign. 

There are so many ways to gamify loyalty. And to put it in Todds terms loyalty is a PRIMARY currency that can give players a consistent and long term game experience much better than "wipe and repeat." stories.

Just my 2c.

I understand you love RP but crowfall is not a game with much lore and is not cratering to RP players specifically. You can make your own RP with your eternal kingdom but I wouldn't expect them to fundamentally change a game now that it is been developed for over 2 years with little to no quests/story in mind.

Wipe and repeat is a core function of this game.

Edited by YouTubejasonwivart

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

I understand you love RP but crowfall is not a game with much lore and is not cratering to RP players specifically. You can make your own RP with your eternal kingdom but I wouldn't expect them to fundamentally change a game now that it is been developed for over 2 years with little to no quests/story in mind.

Wipe and repeat is a core function of this game.

RP and Roleplayers are described in an early video as a core audience. And we get that the lore will be sparse - but that doesnt mean "serves only to push the game mechanics forward nor "will be arbitrarily wiped because its too hard to describe permanency and we dont have the time to work it out."

Arguably its permanency is what will set Crowfall apart from the dozens of short-term-memory-loss MOBAs currently out there.

Its one thing for the developers to say "we will keep the history light." - but quite another to say "Your histories will have no meaning." This is a kiss of death for roleplay AND longevity. Wipe and repeat is a sure way to ensure that any players looking to dig deeper will only stick around for a few campaigns.

But I'm not worried.

On this I am sure: The devs are looking for emergent gameplay. Why should emergence be limited to traditional game mechanisms? Why can't we break out of the barriers of story telling as well? I think we will. I think it will be spectacular.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

Gods-induced Alhzeimers set on by the different god's jealousies not wanting you to remember fighting for another god.

That's why you can't remember your past life but you remember how to chop Quality 9 wood.

Problem Solved.

Is there really nothing left to argue about around here? People wanting ACE to make a tumblr for each of their characters to blog about their old life.

Gods-induced Alhzeimers set on by the different god's jealousies not wanting you to remember fighting for another god.

That's why you can't remember your past life but you remember how to chop Quality 9 wood.

Problem Solved.

Is there really nothing left to argue about around here? People wanting ACE to make a tumblr for each of their characters to blog about their old life.

Alzheimers in the game?  Come on man FUNISM > REALISM!

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I am going to agree with Deloria here. Lore is what anchors us to the world. In a sandbox game it helps bind us together, creating causes and banners to fight for and against, allowing us to choose sides and meet friends we would not have ordinary have met. Creating the lore in such a way that we "forget" what we fought for does the game no favors. I would be fairly surprised to not see anyone carry the banners of their god or faction from the outer bands into the dregs or shadows where they mean nothing. A group of players banding together around a rallying cry, is simply fun gameplay, and one players can generally create for themselves.

This does not mean that I am supporting some game mechanic that forces us to keep a god we chose at creation; as I feel that would be a bad fit for Crowfall. Simply that I believe there will be more than a handful of players that will want to carry their loyalty to a god or faction throughout their EK and all the campaigns, and this should be encouraged not discouraged.

~Lp

I think if ACE doesn't find a good way to have players develop some sort of meaningful bond with their characters it is going to change the nature of the game completely in a bad way.

If people aren't attached to their characters because of the crow and vessel system, and campaigns reset so there isn't any real permanence in that regard, and training is all passive so it doesn't require any active or memorable effort, the overall game experience is probably going to be closer to logging in to play a game of league of legends or overwatch, than similar to something like the 1st generation mmorpgs or even a vanilla WoW level of character attachment.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think if ACE doesn't find a good way to have players develop some sort of meaningful bond with their characters it is going to change the nature of the game completely in a bad way.

If people aren't attached to their characters because of the crow and vessel system, and campaigns reset so there isn't any real permanence in that regard, and training is all passive so it doesn't require any active or memorable effort, the overall game experience is probably going to be closer to logging in to play a game of league of legends or overwatch, than similar to something like the 1st generation mmorpgs or even a vanilla WoW level of character attachment.

I am slightly worried about that as well.

I think we have to look at it as bonding with our crow instead of our characters.

CfWBSig.png