Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

FAQ Revision: Crafting & Economy

Will harvesting tool be needed for resource factories? If I remember, it will produce material at certain interval.
So will tool be used for resource nodes?

5tcNR0w.png
                                     "A single attack to destroy anything"

Instead of assuming I thought it was better to ask. The whole vocabulary on this question screams of pre vessel reveal. I think it was there in the FAQ before the update and they haven't changed it.

EDIT: Also, there is a multi-quote button, maybe you wanna give it a try instead of posting 3 times in a row. Just a suggestion.

You said it yourself, alt characters (single account) aren't possible with the Crow/Vessel system, not sure why they need to clarify further. Unless I'm mistaken, they were addressing the specific concern that has been brought up multiple times of alt accounts and the single character attached to them decreasing the need for crafting mains.

I agree that their "answer" to the concern wasn't really good and alts seem very viable if not more so than dedicated crafters with the design (updated) in place.

Thanks for the tip, one of my 3 posts took advantage of this option and I use it when I feel it works. When I'm replying to several posts, especially with different context, I break it up for the sake of those that might reply, making it less messy for those reading, and simply because I might not have time to respond to several posts all at once and don't want to make multiple edits to a long string of quoted responses.

Shhh you are going to ruin my plans!

This may be a issue with the mechanics that we are envisioning. We have to envision them because nothing actually exists. I am sure thats one of the things they will have to address and it will become evident during open beta for sure.

It may be as simple as buy the item from a vendor and then place it in player storage that access is given inside the city itself. Or just hire and stealther to do the job for you. :)

Well, that would require global inventory/banking systems, which I'm generally not for. I like localized economies. Risk of transport of goods or currencies. But that could work. As far as the "hiring a stealther" angle, won't work. There will ba a way to "reveal" stealthers, In SB it was a scout. When we camped "Open Ciies" you always took scouts to reveal stealthers.

But as a designer that wants a more hardcore game its going to be difficult to find the balance between "This is hard make it easier so i wont lose anything" to "This is just not fun anymore im never logging in again".

I think the game should be hard, no doubt. My idea for a "NPC Free hold Trade Hub" is just a safe place to meet and transact. The goods/materials/weapons/armor would all have to be transported in and out of the Free City. You could get killed traveling to or from the city, but once there, you could buy/sell/trade/barter in peace. Banking would need to be localized for this to work.

Another angle to a single free city is a place for "Individual" players to have a base. Not everyone wants to join a guild, and I don't think it should be a requirement to play this game (though I absolutely plan to do so). It would be an outlet for the single player, whether it be crafter, solo PvPer or whatever.

Again, just my 0.02

>> Not everyone wants to join a guild, and I don't think it should be a requirement to play this game

This game is intended to be focused on a Throne War.

I doubt playing this game is amusing for the player who, whether or not in a guild, do not choose a faction during the war (with open options to be a double agent or a betrayer). 
This means such a player can have a base in a city ruled by a guild with similar goal.
Obviously choosing a faction is easier in God's Reach (by alignment) and Infected (by worshipped god).

Same here: just my 0.02 ;)

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

I was speaking more or less of the Dregs/Shadow rule set. As far as the meta, you are correct.

But even Shadowbane, which this game is loosely based on, you had players that ran "Errant" or without Guild/Nation or ran out of another Safe-hold City called "Sea Dog's Rest". They would play the "open field" small scale game of gank and grief. it was a legitimate play style for some. These people did not own player cities or prosecute or defend City Sieges. 

One is not going to be able to build, or god forbid defend a city in this game by oneself, or even if it is a group of, lets say, 3-5 friends. From a sheer market share perspective, it seems foolish to have no outlet for these types of people, that otherwise might play your game, other than shoe-horning them into someone else's Guild/Nation that they really do not want to be a part of in order to functionally participate.

Edit: As a disclaimer, I am not one of these people, I have a community to play with, so I have no covert agenda in this train of reasoning.

Edited by armegeddon

I was speaking more or less of the Dregs/Shadow rule set. As far as the meta, you are correct.

But even Shadowbane, which this game is loosely based on, you had players that ran "Errant" or without Guild/Nation or ran out of another Safe-hold City called "Sea Dog's Rest". They would play the "open field" small scale game of gank and grief. it was a legitimate play style for some. These people did not own player cities or prosecute or defend City Sieges. 

One is not going to be able to build, or god forbid defend a city in this game by oneself, or even if it is a group of, lets say, 3-5 friends. From a sheer market share perspective, it seems foolish to have no outlet for these types of people, that otherwise might play your game, other than shoe-horning them into someone else's Guild/Nation that they really do not want to be a part of in order to functionally participate.

Edit: As a disclaimer, I am not one of these people, I have a community to play with, so I have no covert agenda in this train of reasoning.

Some people considered Shadowbane unplayable solo. Others played Shadowbane solo. I expect the same will be true for Crowfall.

IhhQKY6.gif

Some people considered Shadowbane unplayable solo. Others played Shadowbane solo. I expect the same will be true for Crowfall.

Absolutely. Kind of the point I was trying to make though. In SB, There were avenues to play solo(Stealing/Ganking, rune/disc hunting, contract farming for revenue). There was always a Khar or SDR though, bases of operation, places to purchase or repair. In this game, I'm not so sure how that will work. Just a concern or thought, no more, no less. It will not effect me regardless

Absolutely. Kind of the point I was trying to make though. In SB, There were avenues to play solo(Stealing/Ganking, rune/disc hunting, contract farming for revenue). There was always a Khar or SDR though, bases of operation, places to purchase or repair. In this game, I'm not so sure how that will work. Just a concern or thought, no more, no less. It will not effect me regardless

I agree completely.  Would love to hear what the devs have to say.  The feeling I get from most people in this forum is that solo/small group play will be frowned upon and discouraged.  I'm hoping the guild structure is such that small enterprises can ally themselves for protection and not necessarily have to deal with guild politics and drama.

I'm hoping the guild structure is such that small enterprises can ally themselves for protection and not necessarily have to deal with guild politics and drama.

Yes to a point. I'm more or less wondering how these small groups will be able to craft and sell or buy without being friended to a crafting station and Bank/Storage Area inside a Player City. I can't imagine the mechanics will be such that 1-5 people will be able to control/farm enough resources to be able to even build (good luck on defense, even if you can) a city in a current campaign framework. Which would mean, again, being forced to try to find a nation to play with for individuals or unaffiliated small groups. If it becomes a de facto requirement to belong to a guild to be able to bank/craft etc, so be it. I just thinks it's a bad idea.

Or.... there is a real possibility I am over thinking this and they actually have it all figured out!

Edited by armegeddon

Yes to a point. I'm more or less wondering how these small groups will be able to craft and sell or buy without being friended to a crafting station and Bank/Storage Area inside a Player City. I can't imagine the mechanics will be such that 1-5 people will be able to control/farm enough resources to be able to even build (good luck on defense, even if you can) a city in a current campaign framework. Which would mean, again, being forced to try to find a nation to play with for individuals or unaffiliated small groups. If it becomes a de facto requirement to belong to a guild to be able to bank/craft etc, so be it. I just thinks it's a bad idea.

Or.... there is a real possibility I am over thinking this and they actually have it all figured out!

Out of curiosity  are you basing this on the dregs or the factions?

Dregs wise, it'll be harder for a small group to pull, and even down right damning since they would have an extremely small chance to win, shadow's and below they'll have a decent fighting chance based upon in-game mechanics for that campaign. And there is even a chance that dregs don't prove popular with most guilds, and shadows do.

This is a crafting announcement though, not how to make dregs a viable experience for small groups to possibly win.

I'm glad that production focused people will actually have a role in the game. And from what I read of the new economy FAQ, it seems they'll be important from start of the game to the end of the game. Really getting tired of streamlined MMORPGs or the fakes that claim to be sandbox but put restrictions on the production side while giving equipment out through the use of NPC quests. Really hated how it was pointless to raise a crafting skill while raising the character or it was "better to wait till endgame" before crafting or similar type of play.

On another note, I do hope that you guys don't reveal EVERYTHING about the game through these updates. Part of the fun of RPGs is supposed to be exploration and discovering hidden things. I understand that people like me that enjoy finding things on our own instead of being led by the hand is a minority though so if it doesn't happen, whatever. Same thing I've been doing with most other games and move on~

I hope they find a way to reward players who put in the hours to be a crafter, and not just a second account mule that sits idle (passively training) until the main combat account has enough of the good resources to justify hopping into the second account long enough to bang out all the good quality gear they need. While there is nothing fun or engaging about sitting in front of a forge crafting hundreds of daggers to 'level up', it *did* mean that only those who really wanted to be crafters had to be actually logged in and using that character. At least for a while.

I'd prefer that the total number of blueprints any single **account** can learn to be gated. Make armorsmiths, for example, choose which 16 of the 32 different armor blueprints they want to learn. Or do it by groups as in , for example, weaponsmiths must choose 2 groups out of 5. Say, melee bladed, melee blunt, ranged bows, guns, or spear/halberd weapon types.

Naturally, each crafting discipline comes with blueprints for the many different components too, which means that maybe the weaponsmith chooses not to learn how to make her own hilts, and must buy those from a weaponsmith that can make them.

Mass production should be a completely different skillset beyond the craftsman disciplines.

Mercantile skills should similarly be a totally different skillset beyond crafting and production, so that people who enjoy running storefronts have a niche to fill.

And don't forget the Caravan Master, able to get peak performance from pack animals and the ability to hire some NPC guards to protect shipments during transit.

I look forward to seeing this develop, and admit that much of my interest in the game is based on this particular playstyle! If they do it right, and not the easy, lowest-common-denominator way, I could be hooked in for a long ride.

eEvERiW.jpg

It will be cool to see a reward as you become a better miner, woodcutter, farmer or whatever harvest may be. Maybe let higher level characters wield better pickaxes, axes, seeds, etc!

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

I hope they find a way to reward players who put in the hours to be a crafter, and not just a second account mule that sits idle (passively training) until the main combat account has enough of the good resources to justify hopping into the second account long enough to bang out all the good quality gear they need. While there is nothing fun or engaging about sitting in front of a forge crafting hundreds of daggers to 'level up', it *did* mean that only those who really wanted to be crafters had to be actually logged in and using that character. At least for a while.

I'd prefer that the total number of blueprints any single **account** can learn to be gated. Make armorsmiths, for example, choose which 16 of the 32 different armor blueprints they want to learn. Or do it by groups as in , for example, weaponsmiths must choose 2 groups out of 5. Say, melee bladed, melee blunt, ranged bows, guns, or spear/halberd weapon types.

Naturally, each crafting discipline comes with blueprints for the many different components too, which means that maybe the weaponsmith chooses not to learn how to make her own hilts, and must buy those from a weaponsmith that can make them.

Mass production should be a completely different skillset beyond the craftsman disciplines.

Mercantile skills should similarly be a totally different skillset beyond crafting and production, so that people who enjoy running storefronts have a niche to fill.

And don't forget the Caravan Master, able to get peak performance from pack animals and the ability to hire some NPC guards to protect shipments during transit.

I look forward to seeing this develop, and admit that much of my interest in the game is based on this particular playstyle! If they do it right, and not the easy, lowest-common-denominator way, I could be hooked in for a long ride.

Recipes allow your crafter to create Items. Like other skills, your crow can potentially learn many.

Blueprints allow your crafter to make exact copies of items he created from those recipes and destroyed (making the blueprint).

Sitting in a shop waiting for customers seems to be unpopular in MMOs, so a thrall can be slotted into your shop to sell your wares.

Muleskinner sounds to me like a better name for the discipline that helps you train, heal, and handle loadbeasts.

It will be cool to see a reward as you become a better miner, woodcutter, farmer or whatever harvest may be. Maybe let higher level characters wield better pickaxes, axes, seeds, etc!

Crafters can make better harvesting or crafting tools and stations (like minecraft). 

Skilling up will make your character better at using them.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Out of curiosity  are you basing this on the dregs or the factions?

Dregs wise, it'll be harder for a small group to pull, and even down right damning since they would have an extremely small chance to win, shadow's and below they'll have a decent fighting chance based upon in-game mechanics for that campaign. And there is even a chance that dregs don't prove popular with most guilds, and shadows do.

This is a crafting announcement though, not how to make dregs a viable experience for small groups to possibly win.

Mianly Dregs, though I could see the concern regardless of rule set. Again the larger point is:

How will crafting/gathering be open to those that want to play solo or in a small group? Will one be forced to join a guild in order to have access to a city and therefore crafting stations and a bank

I am just making an assumption of course, maybe you will be able to build crafting stations and banks anywhere (Out in the woods perhaps? But then again it would be subject to destruction by the first ne'er do well that stumbles across it). Usually stations such as these are slotted in player or NPC Cities in most games. So, therefore if one has no access to create outside of a city, what, if any, is the outlet for creation? 

You seem to have misunderstood. The small group is not going to "win". That's rediculous. If an individual solo player or small group of friends that desires nothing but to craft (or PvP to be honest), build a name and seek global renown for his expert skill in crafting, selling to the highest bidder, what is his/her options?

Mianly Dregs, though I could see the concern regardless of rule set. Again the larger point is:

How will crafting/gathering be open to those that want to play solo or in a small group? Will one be forced to join a guild in order to have access to a city and therefore crafting stations and a bank

I am just making an assumption of course, maybe you will be able to build crafting stations and banks anywhere (Out in the woods perhaps? But then again it would be subject to destruction by the first ne'er do well that stumbles across it). Usually stations such as these are slotted in player or NPC Cities in most games. So, therefore if one has no access to create outside of a city, what, if any, is the outlet for creation? 

You seem to have misunderstood. The small group is not going to "win". That's rediculous. If an individual solo player or small group of friends that desires nothing but to craft (or PvP to be honest), build a name and seek global renown for his expert skill in crafting, selling to the highest bidder, what is his/her options?

Exactly.  Solo and small group players aren't looking to "win" a campaign.  Honestly, I may have 10 hours a week tops to play this game.  There's no way in hell I'd ever expect to win a campaign.  What I want is the opportunity to make a viable contribution somehow, and also be able to experience what the game has to offer (for the most part).  

In the context of crafting, based on the system described, I'm wondering how that will work.  Crafters need protection and a supply chain. What, if anything, does the game provide to accommodate this?  "Nothing" is an acceptable answer, I'd just like to know one way or the other.

Edited by GhostEye

Exactly.  Solo and small group players aren't looking to "win" a campaign.  Honestly, I may have 10 hours a week tops to play this game.  There's no way in hell I'd ever expect to win a campaign.  What I want is the opportunity to make a viable contribution somehow, and also be able to experience what the game has to offer (for the most part).  

In the context of crafting, based on the system described, I'm wondering how that will work.  Crafters need protection and a supply chain. What, if anything, does the game provide to accommodate this?  "Nothing" is an acceptable answer, I'd just like to know one way or the other.

Guilds.  "Guilds" is the answer you're looking for.  Guilds will provide protection while you're harvesting, materials you can't get on your own, and a built-in market for your goods.

You can choose to play on the outer bands where you have team-mates assigned (order - balance - chaos, or the 12 gods rulesets).  Even there, having a guild would be a good idea.  The more high risk, high reward bands are going to be all about the guilds.

If you're a small group, ally with a larger one, or try to attract enough people that you can compete.  If you're a solo player, join a guild that suits your personality, playstyle and needs.

Guilds.  "Guilds" is the answer you're looking for.  Guilds will provide protection while you're harvesting, materials you can't get on your own, and a built-in market for you goods.

Mercenaries as well. If ya got what I want, I'll protect ya ;)

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Guilds.  "Guilds" is the answer you're looking for.  Guilds will provide protection while you're harvesting, materials you can't get on your own, and a built-in market for your goods.

You can choose to play on the outer bands where you have team-mates assigned (order - balance - chaos, or the 12 gods rulesets).  Even there, having a guild would be a good idea.  The more high risk, high reward bands are going to be all about the guilds.

If you're a small group, ally with a larger one, or try to attract enough people that you can compete.  If you're a solo player, join a guild that suits your personality, playstyle and needs.

Never been in a large guild that wasn't full of 12 year olds with superiority complexes.  Seriously, please if you know of a guild with functioning humans let me know.