Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

FAQ Revision: Crafting & Economy

The issue then boils down to making sure that realism doesn't become a substitute for "fun".  In my opinion (which may be wrong) it seems like they are banking on crafting appealing to people who enjoy calculations and spreadsheet management in their games.  Fair enough I guess...  I will just not craft, and that is fine.

Unfortunately the same mentality seems to be bleeding into the armor system with what (again in my opinion) seems like an unnecessary amount of damage/resistance types that are only going to make choosing which equipment to wear another exercise in calculations and spreadsheet management.  I guess we'll see soon enough how it plays out.

I feel the number of resistences and damage types will make the game as a whole more interesting. My reasoning is because it keeps an economy in motion, so that crafters aren't doomed to a single meta and that combatants may always find a counter to current market trends. For instance, if an army hires out crafters for specific types of items, such as flame resist to deal with confessors. This is a economic counterplay to a specific type of enemy the army/guild is anticipating to fight. Now, another guild might note how many enemies are wearing flame resist armor, so they begin purchasing weapons with a different type of damage attached to them.

This is simplified, but opening up equipment to counter each other means that it will be harder to just rely on a small number of crafters to do everything, as the skill tree may incentivize crafters to specialize their craft, such as flame resist versus ice resist, or helmets versus boots. 

Different damage types also opens up to adding special mechanics to each damage type, and thus furthering the strategy into what sort of armor you want by determining the damage type least favorable to your army, and what type of weapons you want by determining what kind of damage type will compliment your tactics the most.

Counterplay and customization along with economic intrigue is why I feel the damage types are important, so long as we can differentiate their effects well.

I feel the number of resistences and damage types will make the game as a whole more interesting. My reasoning is because it keeps an economy in motion, so that crafters aren't doomed to a single meta and that combatants may always find a counter to current market trends. For instance, if an army hires out crafters for specific types of items, such as flame resist to deal with confessors. This is a economic counterplay to a specific type of enemy the army/guild is anticipating to fight. Now, another guild might note how many enemies are wearing flame resist armor, so they begin purchasing weapons with a different type of damage attached to them.

This is simplified, but opening up equipment to counter each other means that it will be harder to just rely on a small number of crafters to do everything, as the skill tree may incentivize crafters to specialize their craft, such as flame resist versus ice resist, or helmets versus boots. 

Different damage types also opens up to adding special mechanics to each damage type, and thus furthering the strategy into what sort of armor you want by determining the damage type least favorable to your army, and what type of weapons you want by determining what kind of damage type will compliment your tactics the most.

Counterplay and customization along with economic intrigue is why I feel the damage types are important, so long as we can differentiate their effects well.

Fair enough.  I guess we'll see if any of that actually matters or is even possible to accommodate in a reasonable amount of time.  I'm not saying there should be one damage type, I'm saying there shouldn't be 16.