Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can somebody reccomend a good fiction book to read ?

rajah

mystery, unexpected plot, a little creepy: Chronicles of Amber, first five books only (all fairly short).

In July 2016 it was announced that The Chronicles of Amber are being developed for TV by Walking Dead creator and producer Robert Kirkman, and Skybound Entertainment

I think I will try that it looks kind of different. Thanks.

Edited by rajah

In July 2016 it was announced that The Chronicles of Amber are being developed for TV by Walking Dead creator and producer Robert Kirkman, and Skybound Entertainment

I think I will try that it looks kind of different

wuuuuuut!! How did I miss that! Man, nerdgasm incoming. My favorite series ever. As long as they don't tone down the "less than honorable" nature of the protagonist for TV..

Stormlight Archives. But those are not yet finished...2 books.

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan, although not finished, 3 books.

The painted man by Peter v. Brett. 4 books.

Damn, I only know good, unfinished literature.....

But they're not really creepy, more...fascinating fantasy. But if you like that, too, I can certanly recommend :)

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

• 2 weeks later...

Try Blindsight, by Peter Watts. It's some really hard sci-fi that should make you think (though perhaps not like a mystery would), and ought to be sufficiently creepy. It was written back in the late 90's and was based on some pretty cutting edge science, only a little of which is now obsolete. I confess that I haven't read it yet, but I am loosely familiar with the subject matter, and my friend won't stop screaming for me to read it. Best part? It's available online for free.

Edit: Just finished reading it. Took me about 9-10ish hours at a moderate reading speed. Good book. Creepy as hell. Has the mystery component, to an extent. May cause existential crisis to those who aren't braced and ready for the material, but I think that means the author's doing something right. Unless you're already loosely familiar with most of the science mentioned in the book, you'll probably want to talk with somebody about it. That's how you'll get most out of it. The only reason I even dare to think I understand it is because of all those conversations I had with my friend, inspired by questions brought up by the book.

Edited by Adalhard

The Malazan Book of the Fallen By Steven Erikson.

There is not really creepy stuff in it, but its worth a look.

Great recommendation, but not for the faint of heart.  Definitely not one you start reading and only stop when it's finished (unless you want to go insane from sleep deprivation).  But, imo, Erikson is one of the greatest writers.  His prose-style reminds me of Robert E. Howard.

Something involving mystery and unexpected plot, maybe a little creepy. I want the kind of book you start reading the Friday evening and stop reading only when it's over.

I prefer reading sci-fi over fantasy atm.

I suggest Jack Campbells books.

Interesting and Binding.

Spacefights, Politics and Aliens.

Done right.

Other then that.

Try out the shadowrun saga.

Special Mark Heintz ones.

I can recommend some.

The Water Knife. by Paolo Bacigalupi

The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin

Old Mans War by John Scalzi

Docking is Difficult by Gideon Defoe (if you like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy humour then check this out. )

Wanted by Gavin Deas a very good book with edge of the seat writing and bitter sweet ending.

Stormlight Archives. But those are not yet finished...2 books.

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan, although not finished, 3 books.

The painted man by Peter v. Brett. 4 books.

Damn, I only know good, unfinished literature.....

But they're not really creepy, more...fascinating fantasy. But if you like that, too, I can certanly recommend :)

Doesn't really fit the criteria, but the two books out at the moment for The Stormlight Archive, are THE best books I've ever read. You would not be dissapointed.

In order I'd reccomend

1. The Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson (2)
  2. The Mistborn Trillogy - Brandon Sanderson (3)
  3. The Broken Empire - Mark Lawrence (3)
  4. Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind (1-8 main story) (9-11 side story) (12-14 side story)
  5. The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan (14)

Doesn't really fit the criteria

....I know. but, they are just too good to NOT recomment &_&

Mistborn was the first Sanderson book I read, and additionally one of the first english books to land in my privat library :)

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share