Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10/25 Update - Iterative Design in Crowfall

I feel like what is slowing down the development process is the fact that the team cares so much about the game lore, reinforcing the narrative and the Crowfall Universe you have created.... AND I AM GRATEFUL FOR THAT!

If you are able to take the ideas and narratives you believe in into consideration when making most of the development decisions, I am sure the game will have a great in-depth feeling, be enjoyable and give the players a feeling of actually being part of something different.

However, I must say that sometimes some things gotta be kept simple and functional. Not because the story behind Crowfall's Universe isn't interesting, but because most people play games for specific reasons, not just the lore - and understanding that is actually very important.

I can relate to games I have liked a lot which have lots of lore and narrative throughout the game: WoW(best game lore I have ever seen), RuneScape(great balance between the lore and being a game), SWTOR(SW's story is great, the game overall not so much though), etc.
However, I can also remember games I really enjoyed which had little to no lore introduced to the game!, but were fun as hell: MU Online, Ragnarok, Silkroad, Tera, etc.

IMHO keeping a balance is important: making the lore present throughout the game, but not making it too boring for some folks.

Cheers

P.S.: I might have overextended myself, but I felt like you might be running into this sort of discussions during daily scrums, backlog meetings and sprint plannings. If not, sorry about that.

Edited by baska

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

Stunning art!

I love the graveyard revamp.  This really does 'click' with the theme almost perfectly.

Also, the discourse about fostering a healthy process prompted a fun discussion at work today.  I am so glad that you have a team willing to trim liberally and let ideas fall to the cutting room floor.  The only major risk to a process like yours is when the entire group becomes blind to a problem.  Thanks for continuing to sift through our feedback!  Hopefully our collective perspective is useful!

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

"We have fleshed out the gods"

Does it mean we can see them in game ? (I am not a native English speaker)

Buildings like that raise a question for me : will they be placed by hand on the world, or randomly like in NoManSky ? In general, will the worlds be fully random Generated or with a bit of help from art team ?

I appreciate the desire to update us on a timely schedule, but this feels like more fluff with no substance. I think its permissible to simply say "we don't have anything for you this week as we ramp up for the big world milestone tests".

/shrug

I partly agree : I remember someone quoting Todd at Gamescom saying "updates 2.5times a week is hard". While it pains me to say that ('cause I love checking these updates, most of which have both substance AND my interest), I prefer 1.5 updates a week with the Thursday update being extremely consistent (like the one on harvesting, or even -almost- this one).

Aside from that you guys still have my full support, even more than ever and I can't wait to see "big world" out !

As we all know you disguised this topic into pure rhetoric to actually only test our opinions about the open air temple idea... :)

- open air temple = love it!!!

- pristine (golden, blinking, shiny) open air temple when in Crows (like the idea, also help to make sure we are dead) = love it too!!!

Now, where are the missing pieces of the presentation? Where are the two other examples? x)

Really like this idea for temples, and im glad it will have a function. Tho some social hubs would still be great once in the worlds :P

I don't want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge. I want to play a GAME against PLAYERS, where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose. Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE. Even if i lose, the experience won't feel hollow. I don't want another worthless trophy.

PLAY TO CRUSH

Where can I get my pyramid temple?

img_1359.jpg

Visually appealing, rises above the tree line for easy identification, can put a god's statue on the top and now even more visible.  Plenty of space to sacrifice people to the Dark Lord.  Because it is higher than the surrounding terrain it is also a strategic asset.

Great artwork as usual, Dave! Your moon with its own moons and ring is intriguing.

The cathedral is the primary reason for many players to maintain an EK, Todd. Make it worth the wait, plz.

Where is the reliquary? How will it function?

Where is the altar for praying-back vessels in lower-risk CW?  How will it function?

What other functional features will the Divine Cathedral (DC) have?

Would there be any operational reasons to build multiple temples in my EK?

Will there be a way for KS backers to trade unwanted KS rewards and/or cash to get a DC?

Can a temple be built inside our stronghold in the CW?

I definitely like that idea of combining the gods lore with the crow+vessel system, and bringing that into the CW as a temple/graveyard. It's fun to see how these design concepts and systems are evolving over time.

Agreed. But a good way to see what the prevalent vessel type will be at a given graveyard would be to make an archetype statue bowing to the big god statue.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

"We have fleshed out the gods"

Does it mean we can see them in game ? (I am not a native English speaker)

Buildings like that raise a question for me : will they be placed by hand on the world, or randomly like in NoManSky ? In general, will the worlds be fully random Generated or with a bit of help from art team ?

They've revealed the lore of the gods, I think that's what they mean by fleshed out.

They'll be randomly generated.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Thanks for the update.

No mention of Honey Badgers though . . . (/scratches head & "looks innocent")

:D

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

The open air concept brought back a lot of good memories of the portal rings in SB.  If the open aired cathedral substitute is used in conjunction with import/export and or grave/respawn mechanics, then that's an excellent use for the building.  It even fits with Lore that we are using divine transporters to ship our goods back and forth between CW and EKs.

The art for the open aired concept is great; but I'm bummed that we won't be getting fluff divine cathedrals.  I was looking forward to having a building that I could use as I wish, not a needed purpose.

I like the idea of integrating the grave yards/respawn mechanics with a divine place, but the same thing could have been done with a graveyard next to the cathedral.  Could we have different art options in the future for the type of divine building we can use as backers?

lUvvzPy.png

I appreciate the desire to update us on a timely schedule, but this feels like more fluff with no substance. I think its permissible to simply say "we don't have anything for you this week as we ramp up for the big world milestone tests".

We know this to be true for some, but not all. There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to our news updates. Some updates will be more interesting to certain sectors of the community than others. Also, we continually have to update our web update calendar as content we've planned to share isn't available on time for one reason or another. And, being crowd-funded means that we need to publicly show things far earlier than we would if we had some big, cushy publisher deal. (In past projects I've worked on where we had those big, cushy publisher deals, the public wouldn't have seen anything from us until we were in the last stages of alpha, maybe, or even later in the development process.) 

The problem some of us have is that when a large percentage of the weekly "updates" appear to be store related its a bit of a let down. What typically happens in a cushy publisher deal is irrelevant here because from the start Art Craft has promised transparency and a behind the scenes view of the game development process, but more often than not all we get is fluff. 

To be clear, I think the information on the changes made to Temples is relevant, however the entire bit about iterative/exploration design is fluff.

Edited by Verot

I see those standing stones and I'm so tempted to ask if there's any way you can make an RP temple?

For instance adding a "random rp generator" to one of the stones, that if two or more people 'use' it together it sends out a message such as 'temporarily switch bodies'  or 'you are now temporarily old' or 'you've left the oven on' etc etc.

A message from the gods, getting strangers roleplaying together when they're too hung over to come up with new plot ideas.

Just another way to make players happy, community happy and things easier the day after  :D

On the other hand, this may be a very silly idea

Ex-Member of :   Lf6MJUL.png  Re-applying soon!