Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Harvesting & crafting demo

Note: Our website is still undergoing some major work, so we're publishing the Tuesday news update here on the forum again. We hope to return soon to our usual method for delivering news.

Since Blair's Crowfall Live! segment was eaten by zombies or some-such, we did an encore version. You'll find it HERE

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Great video, thanks for sharing for those who aren't testing any time soon.

A bit of a rant if you let me:

- I really liked the rune tools concept, but I'd rather have a tool belt and be able to also craft the tools, giving me exp and letting me have "green bonuses" on them, such as higher chance of better materials, more materials drop rate, etc. Just like the regular crafting you already have(which's pretty awesome) plus a tool belt(RS3 I remembered you);

- I'm not a fan of differently sized items in inventory... at least not for materials, bars, etc, only for weapons, tools, armour, etc. Maybe only bars need 2 slots, but I'd love them to take up only one, and stack. I really like when MMOs have big inventories but also have weight limitations. I'd rather have those instead of space limitations, like making people run slower, etc - maybe also let people craft bigger bags, like in WoW?;

- Finally, the menus shown on the video seem a bit unresponsive still, maybe it's the video quality, but I feel it's lacking fluidity... it's hard to explain, but when moving stuff they look heavy or something. Maybe it's just me.

Keep up the great work ACE <3

Edited by baska

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

Thanks for the video.

---Starting with the meh part of things - not excited about the harvesting process.  It can get excruciatingly boring over time, even with folks trying to kill me as I hack away at nodes with my magically summoned axeshovelpickknife.

---Really happy with the impact of resource quality on the final crafted product.  Glad that end product is impacted by resources and crafter choices as that leaves room for excellence outside the dictates of an rng.  I've not posted in a while but some folks may recall my dismay/trepidation about the crafting system going the scattered nodes/static recipe route or being such a secondary system that no skill would be involved.  This looks challenging and interesting and I am looking forward to discovering what each resource does as far as stats.  Thank you for choosing to go in this direction for crafting.

---Ways you can screw this up/ways you can make this amazingly great.  You probably have run through all of these but my fingers are flying.

Keep a very close eye on the success/fail rng for the first few campaigns.  Too easy and folks will get bored crafting.  Too harsh and you'll lose folks as we're trying to get resources in the midst of battles, defend poi resource points, transport the resources to our safe spots and/or get resources out of the campaign back to the EK.  NOONE is going to be happy about fails/losing resources and while I see the value of tossing in a nod or frown from the gods, if the god frowns 9 times out of 10 nothing decent gets made.  LOTRO had an issue with this - not in crafting but in festivals- and it gutted a section of their playerbase.  (I can hear folks now hollering that CF should be hard and it should be for players that are tough and can take it but I'm saying this now so that we crafters can at least gear you people up well enough for you to crush your enemies 5% easier with decent gear.)

Having a range of resources seems like it will be key.  I get that the better quality resources will be in the harder campaigns, but a full range of resource types should be on every planet so that we can have flexibility in the stats we offer our customers.

While PvP and combat focused players may have a built in thick skin some of us crafters do not.  Please make the crafting something that we can actually do well enough and consistently enough to become skilled at and earn a decent living ingame.  You've already got us killing and dying to get the resources needed - and we're willing to make endless pitiful products as we learn choice point balance and the nuances of the crafting process.  But please don't rng us to death or make resources so rare in the campaigns that we can't get the basics.  There's no grind to skill up but there will still be several dozen experiments with gold combined with A, combined with B, combined with C etc. and I don't mind slogging through that as long as I know that somewhere in the first few campaigns I stand a chance of making something good. 

Thanks for the video and the crafting system setup.  I'm actually looking forward to playing the game again.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Thx for redo enjoyed can't wait to try alpha 2

Don't know what was is that mug but I can tell you I was drinking it with ya. Your mic so close to your throat lolz. My fav is the 40:51 mark those power gulps.

Anyways keep up the good work cya in game.

My only concern from the crafting video was the amount of RNG on each of the stages. I can understand some to make the process a'bit unkown' but just seemed to much hit or miss.

Edited by Count_Dirkoff

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

This video was extremely helpful. 

I didn't get to see the original stream and I gotta say I was a bit lost when it came to crafting ESPECIALLY the experimentation stuff. I didn't even realize what that meant and how to do it until I saw this video. 

Once I watched the video though it made good sense and I was able to craft some weapons in the test last night. 

This is a fairly complex crafting system and if you didn't play UO or SWG and are used the other type of crafting systems you described it may take a little bit to understand it. I suggest some kind of crafting tutorial for when the game launches. 

It looks great, I'd really like to get into this system with a trading company. Also exemplifies the importance of crafters in the game, as well as hunters and harvesters, which all feeds into the PvP.

How can a player take a sit and craft some stuff in no-safe-zones-worlds? Can we scale somehow the crafting window?

That's just the risk in it, though I suppose scaling the crafting windows is reasonable. Besides, it isn't as if everywhere is unsafe always. Sure, a person might come by and try to kill you, but if you're doing it in a relatively empty area, the chances of that happening are low. Or, possibly, you're just inside a castle or fort, the safety of walls.

How can a player take a sit and craft some stuff in no-safe-zones-worlds? Can we scale somehow the crafting window?

This is an issue we have been reporting since long ago in the Hunger Dome, the full screen UIs look dumb and do not fit with MMORPGs for PC.

Hopefully they are temporary because this is pre-alpha and they are caring now about the main things (systems and ot their UIs). Once the game is more polished I hope they make all of these UIs (including inventory and character paper doll) separate from each other and also windows you can drag and resize to an extent.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

For me this is the best news I have seen about an MMO in the last 12 Years.

I forgot how it was to get hyped - now I'm starting to remember... and for this small part I want to say: Thank You ACE for wakening my MMO emotions!

Now I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it will end up at least half as good as it's planned :)

/salute

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

This is a fairly complex crafting system and if you didn't play UO or SWG and are used the other type of crafting systems you described it may take a little bit to understand it. I suggest some kind of crafting tutorial for when the game launches.

I never played SWG, haven't played UO in ages and I don't mind a crafting system a bit complex - not too much - but full of things you have to discover and whatnot. I know what you mean when you say you want some kind of in-game tutorial for crafting, but I like things hard and let the community make guides and wikias. Just my 2 centz.

This is an issue we have been reporting since long ago in the Hunger Dome, the full screen UIs look dumb and do not fit with MMORPGs for PC.

Hopefully they are temporary because this is pre-alpha and they are caring now about the main things (systems and/or their UIs). Once the game is more polished I hope they make all of these UIs (including inventory and character paper doll) separate from each other and also windows you can drag and resize to an extent.

I always felt uncomfortable with the scale of things and how much space menus take, and I couldn't put it in words better than you did. I don't think there's much need to get creative about this, just copy this from MMOs which implemented it nicely (WoW and SWTOR have cool menus, UI and customization, IMHO).

Edited by baska

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣