• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acriminalmind

Looting

Looting  

423 members have voted

1. 1. When defeating a fellow Crowfall player, should you:

• Have the ability to loot that player's inventory BUT NOT their equipped gear?
    • Have the ability to loot that player's inventory AND their equipped gear?
    • Get some ****ing worthless reward for a PK like a badge, medal, or trophy?

When defeating a fellow Crowfall player, should you:

1)  Have the ability to loot that player's inventory BUT NOT their equipped gear?

2)  Have the ability to loot that player's inventory AND their equipped gear?

3)  Get some ****ing worthless reward for a PK like a badge, medal, or trophy?

I loved playing a PK in Ultima Online.  But at the same time, losing everything really sucks.  Additionally, rare items are worthless and unusable.  If this game is going to have a significant endgame PVE component it can't be full loot without any rules.

That said, if there aren't going to be rare and powerful items in the game, then bring on full loot.

Side note, as I'm reading this forum, it's really difficult to discuss anything without more information.  My thought process is this game will have some kind of open PvP and even non-consensual PvP.  But that's not said anywhere.  A lot of the discussion seems almost pointless without more information.  Based on what we KNOW, it could be a WoW clone with just a couple changes to make it "different".  Wouldn't be the first time a dev had made claims like that.  Looking at this dev team, I'd be shocked if that was the case, but still.

I don't particularly care,  but I do think its more exciting carrying expensive mats and having them be in danger

yea i agree having stuff to lose makes poorly made socks more fun

Voted for inventory loot, because I'm assuming gear to work SB-style. 

HOWEVER, I wouldn't be opposed to full loot, if the game was centered around character design and player skill, moreso than gear.  The gear would have to have a functional and realistic take.  No Uber Slaying Sword purples.  There could certainly be variances in weapon/armor quality; but, the differences between the weapons/armor wouldn't be more than marginal.  Any differences should be plus/minus in nature.  e.g. X sword has a longer range, but is slower.

Superior player skill and group tactics should win the day in engagements.  Not gear.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

The type of looting system the game has sort of depends on how equipment works. In my opinion, equipment should feel more like something out of a first person shooter. You're sword is that M-4, and your armor is just that Kevlar and Helmet. Your weapons and armor are simply tools for dealing and mitigating damage, respectively. They aren't the foci of all your time and effort spent in game, they don't define your character. Losing a sword should be like losing a mining pick- you just go get a new one. Yes, some are better than others, but not to the degree that you'd find in a WoW-clone.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

The type of looting system the game has sort of depends on how equipment works. In my opinion, equipment should feel more like something out of a first person shooter. You're sword is that M-4, and your armor is just that Kevlar and Helmet. Your weapons and armor are simply tools for dealing and mitigating damage, respectively. They aren't the foci of all your time and effort spent in game, they don't define your character. Losing a sword should be like losing a mining pick- you just go get a new one. Yes, some are better than others, but not to the degree that you'd find in a WoW-clone.

Perfectly said. 

The type of looting system the game has sort of depends on how equipment works.

This cannot be overstated.

And I completely agree as far as equipment acting to facilitate the end, and not being the ends themselves.  The "end" should be the awesome gameplay - the GvG meta strategy game and all the trappings associated with it.  Not treadmilling for gear.

The game should be about resources.  If you control or can acquire access via diplomatic means to requisite resources, you can crank out gear to "equip your army."  Under such a system, the territory and resource control aspects rightfully take prominance, making a "hardcore" full loot system more workable.  E.g. would you really stand around looting that breastplate and bastard sword off of that guy you just killed?  Considering you can just requisition a breastplate and bastard sword from your NPC Smithy at your keep?  You still could, of course.  But my point is that the gear isn't some purple-epix b.s.  The stockpiles of gear is only a reflection of your Nation's resources.  It's a means to an end, not the end.  The political meta game is the end.  War is the end.

In fact, take that as your slogan.  Free of charge.  War is the end.™  Double meaning and everything.

cdinUTh.png

I loved playing a PK in Ultima Online.  But at the same time, losing everything really sucks.  Additionally, rare items are worthless and unusable.  If this game is going to have a significant endgame PVE component it can't be full loot without any rules.

That said, if there aren't going to be rare and powerful items in the game, then bring on full loot.

Side note, as I'm reading this forum, it's really difficult to discuss anything without more information.  My thought process is this game will have some kind of open PvP and even non-consensual PvP.  But that's not said anywhere.  A lot of the discussion seems almost pointless without more information.  Based on what we KNOW, it could be a WoW clone with just a couple changes to make it "different".  Wouldn't be the first time a dev had made claims like that.  Looking at this dev team, I'd be shocked if that was the case, but still.

haha non-consensual PvP...you make it sound almost as if it should be criminal..

I don't think we can really say what kind of looting would be best until we understand the context of: combat, items, mats, and classes. However, IF rare gear is a huge factor in determining how combat plays out then if you want to wear that powerful gear into PvP battle you should have to risk losing it.

lopuda47ee7.jpg

While the details aren't very important to me, I expect some form of looting to be possible.

As for my ideal case, I think I'd like a balance between the two extremes. Maybe drop most of the items carried except  for, say, 5 of the most expensive ones, of which one would be randomly rolled to drop as well and the rest would be kept.

Let's be honest, progression is what keeps people playing, not PvP by itself.  Shadowbane is a great example.  When everyone gets gear, PvP drastically shoots down because all the PvP becomes about just e-pride, or whatever, and nothing else holds any value.  Everyone gets bored and people quit when some new game comes out (see: FPS).  So yea, I want an elaborate system of gear, chalk full of choices and customization, with tons of room for upgrades, and an exponential curve of cost:value (basically, better items cost exponentially more time to get while giving an ever lessening advantage).*

There's nothing wrong with someone whose been playing for years to have a 10% stat advantage over someone playing for months.  There really isn't.  I never had any of the FC gear (unique) that shadowbane had, and I didn't mind fighting guilds that were all decked with it.  Life isn't fair.  That's just how it is - you can still win, and even feel better about winning when the odds are not stacked in your favor.  

How does that tie in with looting?  It makes full-loot crappy, really.  You can't have a real progression outside of "farm up tons of extra sets", which, imo, is very boring.  Inventory loot (all non-equipped items) is awesome, especially if there are USEFUL and EXPENSIVE things you can carry in your inventory to give you an extra edge in combat, in addition to killing people farming/carrying mats/city building plans, and whatever else might be relevant to the game.

*Note: I'm not saying it should be like WoW, where you simply can't compete unless you have the best items.  Ideally, a new player could be within ~75% of maximum effectiveness within a few days or weeks.

No to looting another player period.  If they spent a couple hours harvesting resources, or rare drops for crafting, or rare equipment options, that should not be lost due to PK, I don't care how 'hardcore' a game wants to be.  If there is something in game like enhancements that can be looted, that require some time or kill counts to be regained, super, but also make sure there's a cooldown so that a player isn't ganked by spawn-camping no-talent PvPers in the process.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Looting is HIGHLY dependent on what type of well...loot there is in the game and how equipment is handled.

For example, take UO, you had full-looting of all the items on a player in that game, however the game was built with this in mind and it wasn't terribly tough to be able to afford more gear from a crafter and most players usually had some stored in the bank/their house for when they needed some after losing it.

The gear didn't "make" your character either, the characters skills were more important then the equipment, while there were a few rare items (IE Vanq weapons) the vast majority used crafted gear and it never relaly "made" your character.

On the flip side, you have games like WoW , theme-park games where the game is built around obtaining "Uber" gear and it absolutely "makes" your character and is vital to how well you can do.

A game like that would NOT work well if they just threw in full-loot pvp.

Personally, I think if there is pvp there absolutely needs to be some system of reward/consequences for winning or losing in battle. It certainly needs to be more then a "badge" and the loser needs to lose something more then "A quick run back from the  town where they are bound to."

When defeating a fellow Crowfall player, should you:

1)  Have the ability to loot that player's inventory BUT NOT their equipped gear?

2)  Have the ability to loot that player's inventory AND their equipped gear?

3)  Get some ****ing worthless reward for a PK like a badge, medal, or trophy?

I voted -A- however -B- could work if it is not a massive headache to get decent gear.

I think you need to find the proper balance between allowing deaths to be painful and feel like a loss, yet not creating a disincentive for pvp.

The spoils must go to the victor, but you want those guys to stick around and try again. I liked the system in SB where you kept your gear on death ( though it took damage that could not be repaired ) but again a full loot system could be fun if we can get back out there without spending hours to grind mats to make new weapons etc etc. OR if you can farm good gear from mobs dungeons etc etc

If any of you ever played darktide on AC you may recall their loot system which I loved. You dropped a percentage of items both in inventory and equipped based on their value and the power of the losing player.

The higher lvl etc the more you would drop. You could also manipulate the odds of dropping specific things buy carrying more high valued items that you did not care about. ( death items where high gold value items that would tend to drop ahead of your weapons etc . This worked as the most valuable items had the highest chance to drop) This actually created a sort of economy all its own.

All in all; inventory loot unless a very well thought out system is in place for full loot.

Without a more realistic take on weapons/armor/crafting, I don't think full loot should be implemented.  I'd be satisfied with just inventory loot, with equipped items losing durability on death.  SB style.

cdinUTh.png