• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acriminalmind

Looting

Looting  

423 members have voted

1. 1. When defeating a fellow Crowfall player, should you:

• Have the ability to loot that player's inventory BUT NOT their equipped gear?
    • Have the ability to loot that player's inventory AND their equipped gear?
    • Get some ****ing worthless reward for a PK like a badge, medal, or trophy?

I voted that the player should have the ability to loot the killed player's equipment and gear, but with a caveat. If a character is going to drop everything on him, the economy needs to be sufficiently "supply-side" like Ultima Online so that a player can re-equip himself relatively easily. Otherwise, the Asheron's Call loot drop system was very good; players would drop a certain number of items depending upon their level, and these items could be in the character's inventory or could even be equipped. The game determined which items a player would drop, though, based upon the item's intrinsic monetary value to a merchant. Accordingly, players could carry insurance for their important items by carrying high value items that (1) weighed little and that (2) had little practical use in PvP or otherwise. Thus, before going on PvP raids or otherwise, a player could sufficiently prepare himself with such insurance so that he didn't drop his armor. There were also certain weapons and armor (atlan weapons, hollow weapons, and shadow armor) that could be obtained through certain quests which were undroppable.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

What is with the criminal mentality of wanting to steal from other players -- violently -- rather than go out and earn that equipment yourself?  I'm with the ones that would quit because who wants to play with a bunch of cut-throat thieves?  Looting would out and out be a deal-breaker for me.  I'm not putting work into getting stuff only to get it taken from me from some lazy bully who fights better because he doesn't have the brains to craft.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

I like the idea off loot + gear but as some said there should be a limit/rule. its also adding a nice balance of risk and not over powered gear running around smashing everyone. maybe making a limit to take one or more not the whole set. maybe lottery style on the number or type of gear. Example head, chest, arms and so on.you take the risk going into battle but have a second chance not to lose your best equipment.

Why not make looting take time depending how much there is? Each item (even a stack) has a time behind the scenes it takes to loot from a backpack, bag or the like. Equipped gear would have a time as well, only longer because it's worn. Taking a ring off a finger is faster than removing pants from a corpse. Moving a stack of ore is tedious and time consuming. You can even have a skill that increases your loot rate. Looting in the middle of a battle would be obvious and the looter would be an easy target. Backstab would be interesting there.

What is with the criminal mentality of wanting to steal from other players -- violently -- rather than go out and earn that equipment yourself?  I'm with the ones that would quit because who wants to play with a bunch of cut-throat thieves?  Looting would out and out be a deal-breaker for me.  I'm not putting work into getting stuff only to get it taken from me from some lazy bully who fights better because he doesn't have the brains to craft.

You sound like a nice person.  I'll kill you last.

Funny you brought up cut-throat thieves. LOL

As a former Thief in SB, stealing is right up there with killing. Actually, I mostly made Combat Thieves because I found it easier AND a lot quicker to just kill someone and loot their corpse (Compared to stealing. Lucius brings up a good point about unpleasant people. Playing a Steal Thief was not a cakewalk. Quite the opposite. In time, I really liked being a Combat Thief and that became my playstyle preference).

Hope we get to have some Stealing going on in Crowfall. Free stuff is awesome!

Also, a bit of pilfering and plundering will help keep some marks, errr, people on their toes.

Besides Crowfall is not promising to be a Chivalry simulator with the tag "Play To Crush".

Edited by ghirular x

I thought the way SB was, was a good balance. So my vote goes there. Depending on how gear is in the game I wouldn't be opposed to full loot if gear is very minor and easily replaceable. 

I don't think someone can understand who hasn't been there.  Killing mobs and "earning it ourselves" would be a lot easier, though may or may not be quicker.  People who kill other players and take their loot aren't looking for easy stuff.  Even if the player runs and never fights back, it's significantly more difficult than killing a mob.  When they do fight back, it's significantly more fun than killing a mob.

That said, yes some folks are only looking for easy kills.  Those folks are just unpleasant people though (usually in game and otherwise).  Most pvpers do it for the thrill and the challenge.

I don't think someone can understand who hasn't been there.  Killing mobs and "earning it ourselves" would be a lot easier, though may or may not be quicker.  People who kill other players and take their loot aren't looking for easy stuff.  Even if the player runs and never fights back, it's significantly more difficult than killing a mob.  When they do fight back, it's significantly more fun than killing a mob.

That said, yes some folks are only looking for easy kills.  Those folks are just unpleasant people though (usually in game and otherwise).  Most pvpers do it for the thrill and the challenge.

Exactly this. After you tried good PvP it is invigorating. And yes, no easy kills. Target someone who puts up a fight. While I see Blaze's point about cutthroat thieves :) it's competing against smart and capable opponent is fun. Some people is not cut out for that kind of thing, but if you did not try it - give it a go. Maybe it's your thing, you just don't know it yet.

it's not about mentality, it's more about thrill and competition really.

Edited by rolan storm

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I'm in favor of full looting but I'm also in favor of realistic equipment limits.  You can't have a bag full of swords.  You could carry a few weapons.  You can't carry several sets of armor without being heavily loaded down.  It then becomes a tough decision on what to take from a player you killed.  Their items shouldn't immediately be evident which ones are the most valuable.  It should take a short while and possibly a skill to identify items.  Having said that, I'm in favor of a LOT of PvP. And I don't want dying to take a lot of time to get back on your feet so there should be a short window in which to loot items before the player re-spawns.  Perhaps players can have a special ability to re-spawn with some base set of equipment that replaces any lost item(like summoning a magic sword).  Of course if the game is not PvP centric I take it all back...

Loot anything is fine as long as some items can be soul bound to your character - and hence cannot be looted. This would have to have a significant cost so that you cannot just soul bind everything. Alternatively, the crafting system is good enough that you (or a friend/guildie) can craft gear that is at least competitive.

If neither of these is not true, then PvP will become a joke as only a few will have decent gear (probably only a few dominant guilds essentially). Or people will have to grind PvE (in a non-consentual PvP environment) to regear - leading to them dieing again (thats PvP for ya) and having no gear.

I would rather have the "loot" be a replica of the items in the inventory. I would be pretty disgruntled off if I was AFK, found out I got looted by a FRIEND and not being able to get them back. Not only would I be defenseless, without any good gear it would be impossible to kill other players because you have nothing equipped.

If the "loot" were just replica items and the killed person got to keep their stuff, I think it would be much better because of the reasons stated above.

7lXqKFL.gif

I would rather have the "loot" be a replica of the items in the inventory. I would be pretty disgruntled off if I was AFK, found out I got looted by a FRIEND and not being able to get them back. Not only would I be defenseless, without any good gear it would be impossible to kill other players because you have nothing equipped.

If the "loot" were just replica items and the killed person got to keep their stuff, I think it would be much better because of the reasons stated above.

wait what?

built-in dupe mechanics?

all depends on how rare that things are. hard to answer.

But inventory looting is good enough or something like 1 item per hour max allowed.

I am for perma-death, so loot away. 

I do recognize that perma-death can be frustrating, but it can also be thrilling at times.  Risk vs Reward.

You sound like a nice person.  I'll kill you last.

You won't get the chance.  I'm also not trembling.  I've had rl threats and attempts on my life, I got to live to tell the story long enough to be one hell of a Grandma.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.