Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/29/15 - Forgemaster, World Rulesets & Resources

1. Does combat use tab-targeting?

No. We’ve tried to make combat in Crowfall a little more action-combat focused, than your traditional MMO.  For instance, we have “dashes” that you use to avoid attacks, as opposed to a passive (randomized) dodge system.  Finding the right balance on this one has been extremely challenging from a design perspective, but we think we’ve found a mid-point. Hopefully you’ll agree.

2. How does targeting work?

Generally, melee attacks happen in the area in front of the character.  There is no hard “target”.  Attacks use various shapes such as: cones, rectangles, and spheres. You can optionally turn on or off a projected ground texture, if you want to visualize where your character is attacking.

3. What is the simulation model? Can players “walk through” other players? How are projectiles simulated?

We use a physics model for character movement and combat simulation. This means that players and projectiles move realistically in the 3D environment, with momentum and inertia. This implies a number of interesting side effects that you probably aren’t used to (like players being unable to move through each other, projectiles hitting accidental targets, etc.) There are some implications that we aren’t quite ready to talk about yet. We’ll go into more detail about the ramifications of this system later.]

THANKS TODD, you are the savior of the mmo genre.

Action combat + collision + friedly fire.

I'M 90% SOLD, now tell us that the game will be full loot and my wallet is pratically open, i hate kickstarters but i'm so hyped and i have so much faith now that i don't care anymore.

THANKS again ACE, from the bottom of my heart, i'm so happy you exist. :)

ps: Don't watering down you original combat vision, like adding automatic face enemy or autotargeting, stick with pure action till the end.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

TOSS, you are the savior of the mmo genre.

Action combat + collision + friedly fire. I'M 90% SOLD, now tell us that the game will be full loot and my wallet is pratically open for a kickstarter even if i hate pay for an alpha, but i don't care.

THANKS a lot ACE.

Look at server rulesets.

y9tj8G5.png

But the game will still have instanced based PvE raids, right?

No, actually. Crowfall is a game is about territorial conquest and a player-driven economy – not PvE raids.

I guess that debate is over.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Lovely character and map design, as usual. Finally a MMO with character collision. Looking forward to trying out that action combat. The game is looking more promising day after day.

Edited by kris

the server rulesets aren't very detailed, but I feel that it'll be abused to hide from PvP by a lot of players...

I'm waiting for more info, but I'm not really sold on it atm

Ya, I might be in the same boat as you right now, my hype meter actually went down today, at least until I understand it more.

So the innermost part of the map is called The Dregs, and is Free For All with (possibly?) full loot.  Does that make hardcore PKers the "Dregs" of the MMO community? Shots fired!

It makes that world full of lone PK'ers with no one to feed on other than themselves, ultimatly becoming a dead zone, just my opinion anyway.

the server rulesets aren't very detailed, but I feel that it'll be abused to hide from PvP by a lot of players...

I'm waiting for more info, but I'm not really sold on it atm

The rulesets and the game is all PvP based... How does one hide from PvP in a PvP game?

The rule sets are great i think because it allows a player to find their sweet spot of gameplay or able to play multiple different types of gameplay. Its all PvP there is no hiding.

It makes that world full of lone PK'ers with no one to feed on other than themselves, ultimatly becoming a dead zone, just my opinion anyway.

There could be something that will "strongly encourage" players to venture into that area.  Something that is needed in the game if you want to progress in a certain way.  So that might help give a boost to the population on that world.

Edited by talfryn

Between dreams and reality.

Lantern Watch

So.... next question - Friendly Fire in or out?!

"projectiles hitting accidental targets"

I guess so and it how should be, bad positioning and spamming of spells = you kill your mates, so you should be very carefull when you release your skills.

Finally an active combat where tactics matters.

Archduchess Alice

How can you allow for so much character customization, and still claim that every character is balanced?

We don’t claim that!  The idea that “all characters should be equally balanced in all situations” is not one of our design goals.  We’re giving you the control to be able to customize your character.  The natural result is that some character builds will inevitably be better than others. 

Instead, our goal is to create a deep, complex simulation – filled with tactical and environmental considerations and emergent gameplay.  Our design goal is that no single character is better than others in every situation

This approach means that mastery of the game relies on skill: knowing how to build your character in a way that suits your playstyle, and then seeking out situations in the game that will be to your advantage.  It also means that adventuring parties will be less cookie cutter, as the roles are not as clearly defined.

I love how they clearly stated this, so many games try to perfectly balance characters and classes that it becomes a never ending struggle. This is basically stating that you must create your character for what you will be participating in, because if you go into a different environment some characters will be better than you no matter what.  

All looks great, although I am going to echo some concerns about the different world rule sets.

It seems good in theory, but I'm concerned about the way it will play out in game - unless the more dangerous worlds get better resources or something like that.

I got a boner. Security zones of EVE make it so popular. 

I love full-loot and free pvp, but this kind of solutions would be very good for a healthy population.

Edited by kaerion

The rulesets and the game is all PvP based... How does one hide from PvP in a PvP game?

The rule sets are great i think because it allows a player to find their sweet spot of gameplay or able to play multiple different types of gameplay. Its all PvP there is no hiding.

we're in the same faction, we're on the Faction vs faction "server"

does that mean I can't kill your ass?

does that mean you can happily farm next to me?

I'd hate if that was the case.

I at least want the option to kill your ass.

Look at server rulesets.

i don't see anything about full loot in the faqs, we have different worlds with different rulesets, i see only a 100% invetory drop that is not full loot but partial loot, or maybe i miss something?

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

All looks great, although I am going to echo some concerns about the different world rule sets.

It seems good in theory, but I'm concerned about the way it will play out in game - unless the more dangerous worlds get better resources or something like that.

My major major concern is huge population imbalances on certain worlds. Or certain worlds having a looser ruleset allowing them to gear easier etc or what have you than going to the harder rulesets ... I just don't quite understand this concept yet. I am sure I am missing some pieces to the puzzle here.