Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harvest skill progressions

Kith

In all of the videos about skill trees, JTodd and the rest of ArtCraft talk about incremental progressions of small rewards adding up over time, rather than a big *jackpot* of finishing the skill.

I'm curious as to why that approach doesn't hold true for harvesting skills- many of the harvest skills- particularly plentiful harvest and beneficial harvest specifically say "no benefit gained until skill is fully trained."  As someone looking into harvesting as a primary skill path, that's really demotivating.

I'd like to know why devs are making that choice, rather than the same incremental progress shown in other skill trees, and I have a feeling I'm not alone.

Its like training a skill in EVE.. you can't use it until it is fully trained.

The big jackpot at the end really is clearing nodes out so they respawn. With good skills you are getting something the entire time.

Dont think of it like a ladder. Think of it like an unlock ability. Beneficial harvest is a one time thing that happens or it doesnt at the end of a node. If you want to have the chance to get one then you must unlock it first. Im sure after you unlock it there will be other incremental skills that up your % chance to proc one. It makes sense form a skill perspective. To learn to do something for the first time is the hard "leap". Once youve figured it out, you gradually get better and better at making it work.

Its like training a skill in EVE.. you can't use it until it is fully trained.

The big jackpot at the end really is clearing nodes out so they respawn. With good skills you are getting something the entire time.

what skill in eve works that way? most of them give you most of the functionality in the first 4 out of 5 levels, and the rest at level 5 plus any associated unlocks. unless you mean unlocking tech 2 stuff through skills?

Edited by Kalus_Konkwest

what skill in eve works that way? most of them give you most of the functionality in the first 4 out of 5 levels, and the rest at level 5 plus any associated unlocks. unless you mean unlocking tech 2 stuff through skills?

Your skill is not classified as a Rank 1 skill until you fully complete the training time. So you can not train certain skills until you have fully reached X level. 

So Question:

I have trained

Harvesting Basics - then did the Ore Harvesting Basics, then Plentiful Resources (Copper) - Now I have the white line to Harvest Tool Decay: Copper Pick Rune - but it won't let me train it. Do you have to have all 3 sub items (critical ore, harvest amount, & plentiful resources) trained to train the pick axe? Or does the tree just not advance that far yet?

vgo45e.jpg

Sorry if this was answered already elsewhere

~Calamity

Edited by calamity

I know they state you will not have to train everything but sure there are several things which need all skills trained.  You can train some advanced skills right now as well even though they clearly read like you should have gone through the basic tree first.

so that's intended? I think that's bull to be honest. Some players will go hybrid builds despite what we are reading on these forums. So not having to commit to every skill in gathering/crafting or even combat is essential to forging a decent hybrid build in a reasonable amount of time. 

Edited by silhaku

No that may not be intended for this tree. I am just saying that for some trees or particular nodes it may be intended. Report it and move on. At the current point in development entire systems may be reworked, scrapped, or we are seeing something they testing the waters on.

Because nothing holds you from trying to harvest higher level nodes even if you don't have the required expected level to do so?

Question by the way: can equip a high tier tool without having a high skill of harvesting?

If yes, well, here is the progression for harvesters.

Best I can gather, the way skills progress now are not representative of the final product. Currently, we can make higher tier tools with no skills because they wanted us to be able to test the other node types but, in the actual game, you will have to learn the recipe to create a higher tier tool.

I'd be willing to bet they have skills set like this because this is the base model for the account based training and they haven't tweaked it so it has partial progression. That being said, unless it's a skill that increases a statistic, it makes sense that it would require full training to achieve it. Most of the combat related abilities are just stat increases.