Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Build Advice

Mytherceria

Hey all. I am building myself a new computer and I am having trouble deciding on CPU, motherboard and monitor. I think I want Kaby Lake but I am not sure if it's worth waiting for. I am really excited for Cannonlake but it doesn't look like that is going to be out anytime soon. I want a good, solid motherboard that will support DDR4 but it does not have to be full of fancy tech that I will never use. I don't plan on running dual graphics cards or anything else really besides an SSD. I am going for a single GTX, probably a 1060 (maybe 1070). I like to keep my cases pretty simple. I probably won't be overclocking but I haven't decided on that 100%.

As for monitor, I really want to go a 144hz 1440p but I am not a fan of TN panels and the IPS are so expensive. Does anyone know of a good monitor that could work? The one I have now is VA and I actually like it a lot, even though it's only 60hz 1080p. I might just stick with it until they can perfect IPS monitors a bit more but I am hopeful something else exists out there. 

Edited by Mytherceria

If you're always waiting for the next best thing you'll never build, and CPUs dont increase in performance like GPU's do so its not really that big of a difference with new generations.

Your budget will determine a lot of what kinda build you can get, post you max budget and look on reddit/r/buildapc

I have a 165hz 1440p IPS GSYNC monitor, for ME i cant really tell a difference above 100fps, 1440p is amazing but makes it hard to get that high fps, IPS looks super pretty BUT the most important thing I couldnt live without now is GSYNC. It is the biggest improvement to gaming you can make IMO.

TRY pcpartpicker.com to find monitors

MOkvLlm.png

Thanks for responding Ziz! My budget is whatever I need to spend to make it good. I don't need anything too extravagant or crazy top of the line. The hardest part for me is choosing the motherboard since there are so many different brands and most of the options on the higher end boards seem unnecessary. I am not sure what a "good enough" motherboard is these days. My current build is an ASRock Extreme4 and it's actually been surprisingly stable but I think it's a bit low end. I can go higher if necessary. I also want to spend more on the monitor since for me that is one of the most important parts. 

I will check out the PCparts picker and the reddit link, those were very helpful. Thank you.

I'm far from the best techie on these forums, my only advice would be, if you have the budget;

• Up the PSU to more than 650W - it'll give you growth oppo in the future.
  • Purely based on where you'll be running this beast ... but, if you're going to spend $85 on a CPU fan, just go down the water cooled route.
    I use the Corsair H110i, and have had no issues with it. It looks like you should be able to vent with the radiator at the top of that case (but you'd need to do a bit more research to be 100% sure).

I'm far from the best techie on these forums, my only advice would be, if you have the budget;

• Up the PSU to more than 650W - it'll give you growth oppo in the future.
  • Purely based on where you'll be running this beast ... but, if you're going to spend $85 on a CPU fan, just go down the water cooled route.

I use the Corsair H110i, and have had no issues with it. It looks like you should be able to vent with the radiator at the top of that case (but you'd need to do a bit more research to be 100% sure).

The bigger the power supply to more efficient it is with the power you DO draw.

Spec it out way higher then what the computer will draw, 900 is a good base line. I would pick fully modular design.

I completely agree with Daworf on the CPU fan the H110i is the best out there, im my opinion.

CfWBSig.png

Thanks for the advice guys! I am really not sold on water cooling, and they seem to take up a lot of case room. I am not sure how accurate this is http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2 but it seems to suggest that the DH15 is about the same as the H110i. I think going with a bigger power supply isn't a bad idea though, especially if I will be running 1440 or SLI in the future.

Looks like you have a nice selection of parts. Two recommendations though:

1) I'd suggest getting an i7 since MMOs are particularly CPU intensive and if you like to multi task the i7 6900k with six cores is a solid choice.

2) A quality PSU should never be over looked. Do your research and don't just go by brands. Sometimes they put out a lemon. Most PCs don't consume a ton of juice either so unless you want to over clock and drop multiple GPUs 650-750w will be plenty.

Lastly this is just some food for thought. You first mentioned sticking to a single GPU then later thought of going SLI. Both are viable options but SLI has more work to it. Not all games, drivers and programs have been optimized for it nor are always considered. If you're a techie and like tweaking and optimizing your PC then it won't matter. When I say techie I mean not someone that knows everything but someone that likes to delve into programs and specs to fiddle with them. If this is you then SLI is fantastic!

However if not I suggest going for the best single GPU you can/want to get. Noise, heat and case size are all considerations.

This is always a fun and exciting process! :D

Edited by Keaggan

Looks like you have a nice selection of parts. Two recommendations though:

1) I'd suggest getting an i7 since MMOs are particularly CPU intensive and if you like to multi task the i7 6900k with six cores is a solid choice.

2) A quality PSU should never be over looked. Do your research and don't just go by brands. Sometimes they put out a lemon. Most PCs don't consume a ton of juice either so unless you want to over clock and drop multiple GPUs 650-750w will be plenty.

Lastly this is just some food for thought. You first mentioned sticking to a single GPU then later thought of going SLI. Both are viable options but SLI has more work to it. Not all games, drivers and programs have been optimized for it nor are always considered. If you're a techie and like tweaking and optimizing your PC then it won't matter. When I say techie I mean not someone that knows everything but someone that likes to delve into programs and specs to fiddle with them. If this is you then SLI is fantastic!

However if not I suggest going for the best single GPU you can/want to get. Noise, heat and case size are all considerations.

This is always a fun and exciting process! :D

Yikes, is the price really worth it for the i7 6900k? I am going to go out on a limb and say no but correct me if I am wrong. I will probably go up to 750W and might go with a Corsair PS since that is what I have now and have never had any issues with it. I am most likely going to stick with a single card but you never know, I could get adventurous. :)

Yikes, is the price really worth it for the i7 6900k? I am going to go out on a limb and say no but correct me if I am wrong. I will probably go up to 750W and might go with a Corsair PS since that is what I have now and have never had any issues with it. I am most likely going to stick with a single card but you never know, I could get adventurous. :)

No the price is. It worth it for the 6900k not at all. Unless you have a few thousands dollars you don't need at all.

Get either a 6700k or if you really want 6cores a 6800k.

Sli is a pita

MOkvLlm.png

LOL Yeah it can get crazy but you DID say: 

My budget is whatever I need to spend to make it good. 

:P

Get either a 6700k or if you really want 6cores a 6800k.

These are very solid alternatives too!

For gaming I wouldn't go for i7 though but an i5 because most games don't support HT (hyper treating).

Beside that most games hardly use more then 4 treats anyway, it's already something if they use 2 treats :(

So i would get the best i5 you can get and with the money you save get that 1070 ;)

This will be a far more balanced and effected build for gaming then i7 with 1060

As for VA vs IPS, VA has better static contrast about 3 times better if not more then IPS so if you do get an IPS it might look kinda flat the image. Beside that IPS has a glow if you dont sit in front of it correctly. But well, VA has contrast shift if you sit at a certain angle so non of them are perfect.

I have just gotten a laptop though with 12inch sAMOLED display, and man i'm spoiled now xD

Think they measured the contrast to be 13000, was watching a sci-fi series and the stars just popped off the screen.

I know Dell is making an AMOLED screen but $4999 is a steep price xD

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52937/dell-surprises-new-30-inch-4k-120hz-oled-display/index.html

Edited by Anvh

I am looking at this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827&cm_re=xg2703gs-_-24-116-827-_-Product but I am a little hesitant since it is a Viewsonic and I have had one of those die on me after only a few years. There is the XB271HU  but I also don't trust Acer. The Dell UP3017Q is nice but 4k is a little much. I guess I will just stick with what I have and wait to see if anything else comes out.

I am looking at this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827&cm_re=xg2703gs-_-24-116-827-_-Product but I am a little hesitant since it is a Viewsonic and I have had one of those die on me after only a few years. There is the XB271HU but I also don't trust Acer. The Dell UP3017Q is nice but 4k is a little much. I guess I will just stick with what I have and wait to see if anything else comes out.

Ive been using an acer predator, the 27" gsync ips 165hz one that's like $700. It's pretty amazing. I got over the asus because it had less bad reviews about back light tho all ips have some backlight.

I love it and the stand looks good and really solid tho not as nice as the asus.

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

I am looking at this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827&cm_re=xg2703gs-_-24-116-827-_-Product but I am a little hesitant since it is a Viewsonic and I have had one of those die on me after only a few years. There is the XB271HU  but I also don't trust Acer. The Dell UP3017Q is nice but 4k is a little much. I guess I will just stick with what I have and wait to see if anything else comes out.

It looks good but the question is do you want to invest in g-sync?

It will only work with Nvidia graphics cards and most monitors will last you a good 6 to 8 years if not more so do you want to stay with Nvidia for so long?

Beside that it's not so certain g-sync will be around for long. Intel has adopted Freesync and it's now also an HDMI and I believe a displayport standard, we are already seeing more and more freesync monitors while the g-sync market stagnates. But... Freesync doesnt work with Nvidia :(

The monitor also works without g-sync ofc but then you will have invested $150 for nothing in the g-sync module.

We live in tough times :(