Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orokosh

Remove PVP from testing server..

Hey guys

I absolutely get where you are coming from -- which is why I tried (really, really tried) to both set expectations and to warn you guys before we started this test:

1) this is going to be more TEST than PLAYtest, and, specifically

2) This test is going to be a blood bath.  There are no safe areas.  There are no banks.  There is full inventory loot on death.

My internal name for this version is 'Roving Bands of Thugs', which is a term that I came up with waaaaay back in the Shadowbane days.

If that sounds un-fun to you, then by all means sit this round of testing out!  

We WILL have other tests, and we WILL test other variations of the game loop (like playing in an EK, or harvesting and crafting in the relative safety of a 3-Faction campaign) -- but we just aren't there yet!

...but we will get there soon enough, I promise!

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Yeah. Just saying if they want us to be able to focus on testing crafting, that's something we'd need in some form.

Just clip into the side of one of the huge trees, and do your crafting there. You're practically invisible. Seriously, it took me 5 minutes to discover that trick.

I sat in a tree for like an hour yesterday crafting all of my armor pieces one by one.

Or, go and play a game like Rust or DayZ for a few days and then come back. Some folks seriously need to HTFU and learn to adapt. I know it is just a play test, but come on. You can even switch to the West or EU servers that are usually empty.

Just clip into the side of one of the huge trees, and do your crafting there. You're practically invisible. Seriously, it took me 5 minutes to discover that trick.

I sat in a tree for like an hour yesterday crafting all of my armor pieces one by one.

Oh I got it all figured out already.  I've come into this test with the full understanding of the risks too, so hopefully @jtoddcoleman didn't misunderstand my comments if that factored into his response.  I've yet to be killed while crafting.  I ended up underestimating the complexity and time investment required (I love complexity, so don't get me wrong there), which is why I tossed out that suggestion as a possibility to give those trying to focus on more detailed data-gathering and replicating bugs like disappearing/duplicating items or the broken inventory grid a little peace of mind until all the kinks are worked out.  I spent almost 10 minutes just trying to put together my very first common quality pistol, thank goodness the whole thing didn't fail at the end LOL.

Hopefully you all understand I'm not approaching this as a gamer but rather as a programmer myself, which means focusing on testing one system at a time to isolate the causes and effects of issues and minimizing interference of other factors that could be triggering said issues.  I like to build and break stuff with what free time I have, while making fun of everything in the process, which hopefully will contribute to a better experience for all involved.

With that said, since I can burrow inside people, Hamsters need a chest burster insta-kill attack. ;P

<BOT> Wabice, a.k.a. Florida Man, a.k.a. JOHN CENA, a.k.a. Heid D'Salaami, a.k.a. ...

Florida Man Wins Hunger Dome Match.  Performs Victory Fire Dance.  Dies.

Hey guys

I absolutely get where you are coming from -- which is why I tried (really, really tried) to both set expectations and to warn you guys before we started this test:

1) this is going to be more TEST than PLAYtest, and, specifically

2) This test is going to be a blood bath.  There are no safe areas.  There are no banks.  There is full inventory loot on death.

My internal name for this version is 'Roving Bands of Thugs', which is a term that I came up with waaaaay back in the Shadowbane days.

If that sounds un-fun to you, then by all means sit this round of testing out!  

We WILL have other tests, and we WILL test other variations of the game loop (like playing in an EK, or harvesting and crafting in the relative safety of a 3-Faction campaign) -- but we just aren't there yet!

...but we will get there soon enough, I promise!

Todd

ACE

I hope you also realize lots of us have really enjoyed this test so far!! Gives me great hope of what kind of open-world PvP goodness we can enjoy in the future.

Member of The BlackHand Order

I would like to say after playing on the west coast server for 2 days solo it really wasn't difficult to avoid pkers....Sure you get chased sometimes for a a minute or so but i always lost them or they gave up the chase. I played a ranger a class i never pvp'd with. Only ended up fighting one person who chased me to the mountains i got on my perch and used the terrain against another ranger and killed him. The ranged duel i won handily he then charged in with two daggers and i did the same and killed him though he did better there then i did he just did so little to me while we traded arrows for the first half of the fight.

I wanted to test the crafting but also wanted to test how easy it was to escape the gankers. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to escape especially using the terrain. My life was only really endangered by a persistent centaur and his friend a knight. I kept far enough away from the knight but the centaur knocked me down twice in a merry chase into the mountains. It seemed that i nearly healed to full every time the centaur caught up to knock me down and smack me a few times then i was up and running.

I do not let my stamina get below half while harvesting.

while stamina regens i look around for potential gankers.

i continue harvesting till about half stamina

I check out my surroundings while regening the other half of my stamina.

I do a small recon around any terrain that impedes my line of sight

when satisfied back to harvesting.

Being alert and not using all your stamina is important.

Sure i may take longer to harvest but i was alone and there were nasty folks about!

It's just an experiential thing. I'm sure I felt the same way back in the early 2000s when I logged into SB for the first time.

That same poster may very well be a blood-thirsty PK with an abiding violence for anyone he comes across outside his guild, given the right experiences. If he sticks around long enough I think this will be exactly the game to give him those experiences too.

The fact anyone would be desperate enough to ask this makes me smile as I think about the future of this community....

I know what you mean.  With the changes coming for combat, the tests ramping up, people inevitably getting more serious about the game as it gets closer to launch.  It's just going to be fun to see how things go.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir