Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tinnis

Never add resource node names please!

i'm personally a huge fan of NOT having floating names that make resource nodes look like out of place shiny pinatas and force harvesters to actually learn and remember what things look like

the current nodes "fit in" to the world and feel like natural extensions of the scenery.

scenery doesn't have nametags or shopping labels.

what do you all think about this?

or only make it part of a explorer's advanced skill training like the cartographer's crafted map items rather than the game UI etc

and generally when you pick up a doober resource item from the ground it should give a small notification of what you just picked up

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

It seems like explorers and harvesters will play a huge role in this game, so I think avoiding name plates for type, grade, etc of resource node is a good idea Tinnis. There was another thread in which some people were asking for things like this to make harvesting more interesting and interactive, requiring the player to explore and learn by trial and error where the higher grade nodes are, how to recognize them by looks alone and so on. Instead of just looking at name plates floating on the map. In my opinion this would be the right direction to go. 

I disagree.

A UI that popups that gives information about the node would be great. Even a statistical breakdown of the chances of the type of ore you could get based on your skill. The health of the ore in a percentage format, etc

The main reason i disagree is because stuff like this is polish work. Polish work is what can make and break a game. It could be 'left as is' and im sure some people would be fine with it but its a opportunity to make something popup and add a bit of depth, allow people to min and max a bit more based on the information provided, compare stats in the group to see who has the best chance on this ore type, or even see the effect harvesting gear will have. 

And seeing the information is always better then not seeing the information(Well.....thats not always true, but in this instance i think it is.). If i made harvesting gear i would LOVE to know the actual difference it is having instead of harvesting with hours with the gear on and hoping its making a difference.

And to be clear, this information would only be exposed when you interface with a node, not from a map or anything but in person.

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

I think there should be labels but only when close up to them. Maybe the same distance player names show up when we approach another player. From a distance yeah we should learn the different colors and marking of nodes but then up close we should be able to exactly identify them when we hover the reticle over them.

Edited by pang

Some luxuries are worth having, and one of them is knowing what the custard you're harvesting or picking off the ground. Some people are color blind, some people just suck at identifying colors altogether, the UI should at least accommodate these people. I don't want nameplates floating over the resource node, but if I hover over it with my cursor it should at least tell me what it is.

The argument for displaying information of a node when you hover over it isn't that much different from argument with the UI menus for crafting. Both of these things are inconvenient when they don't need to be.

If something doesn't need to be made hard (like displaying what a node is), it shouldn't be.

Edited by helix

I disagree. Most people will learn what nodes are what after a few of minutes playing, so after that it really doesn't matter if there is a name on it or not. As Helix mentioned, the only people it hurts is those with eyesight disabilities. It might  be an antibot thing making it harder to target certain nodes, but I am not sure automated bots will be much of a problem in this type of game.

A popup or label that says 'tin' is not what i mean. What i mean is statistics on the chances of what quality of ore that i could produce from it based on my harvest skill, how much is left, the penetration required to hit it, how much durability is left on your pick, etc.

And as with almost every game out there, you should have a option to disable additional information.

But the information, if not on a popup over the ore, should be available somewhere. All the information for mitigation, damage, crit chance, crit damage, health regen, stamina regen, stamina amount, mana amount exists and is displayed for combat. Statistical information  on fail chance, amount enhanced, etc is all displayed for crafting, no reason it shouldn't be for a harvester.

CfWBSig.png

I disagree.

A UI that popups that gives information about the node would be great. Even a statistical breakdown of the chances of the type of ore you could get based on your skill. The health of the ore in a percentage format, etc

The main reason i disagree is because stuff like this is polish work. Polish work is what can make and break a game. It could be 'left as is' and im sure some people would be fine with it but its a opportunity to make something popup and add a bit of depth, allow people to min and max a bit more based on the information provided, compare stats in the group to see who has the best chance on this ore type, or even see the effect harvesting gear will have. 

And seeing the information is always better then not seeing the information(Well.....thats not always true, but in this instance i think it is.). If i made harvesting gear i would LOVE to know the actual difference it is having instead of harvesting with hours with the gear on and hoping its making a difference.

And to be clear, this information would only be exposed when you interface with a node, not from a map or anything but in person.

Perhaps I misunderstood the OP, but I interpreted what you've said. The opening post indicated no "floating name plates" over nodes. I guess I automatically thought that meant floating name plates in general, without having interacted with the node yet.

As you suggest, having good, well presented information once you interact with a node makes sense.

OP, did I get your intent wrong?

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

I am not sure automated bots will be much of a problem in this type of game.

HO HO HO! Boy are you wrong!

I say this with perhaps too much enthusiasm. But, there has never been an online game in which botting has not been a problem. One would think that surely a pvp motivated game with few safezones and very popular open world pvp would discourage botting or even cut into their profit margins right? No... Because bots are far more dedicated than anyone who might come along and stop them... Primary Example : Archeage. When Archeage first released, we expected the bots, but it was so prolific a problem that My guild and dozens of others actually banded together and mercilessly hunted them down. For hours we would take turns slaughtering these bots, time, and time, and time and time again. And you know what? The only thing we managed to do was inspire bots with rudimentary combat functions that operated in groups of five or more. I wish i was kidding when i said that the region where my guild chose to build its village was overrun by infinitely respawning naked bots running directly through our village 24/7 for WEEKS. Hundreds of them attacking everything in sight, ripping up plants and killing everything, autoequipping any equipment they managed to loot, and continuing the rampage from there.

We fought them, and it got worse. But in time, it did get better. The answer was time, and the almighty banhammer of Trion. But it came too late for our guild. Weeks of being unable to enter our homes had driven most of my guild away from Archeage. Now I roam the Crowfall forums.

Edited by Gcheilan

HO HO HO! Boy are you wrong!

I say this with perhaps too much enthusiasm. But, there has never been an online game in which botting has not been a problem. One would think that surely a pvp motivated game with few safezones and very popular open world pvp would discourage botting or even cut into their profit margins right? No... Because bots are far more dedicated than anyone who might come along and stop them... Primary Example : Archeage. When Archeage first released, we expected the bots, but it was so prolific a problem that My guild and dozens of others actually banded together and mercilessly hunted them down. For hours we would take turns slaughtering these bots, time, and time, and time and time again. And you know what? The only thing we managed to do was inspire bots with rudimentary combat functions that operated in groups of five or more. I wish i was kidding when i said that the region where my guild chose to build its village was overrun by infinitely respawning naked bots running directly through our village 24/7 for WEEKS. Hundreds of them attacking everything in sight, ripping up plants and killing everything, autoequipping any equipment they managed to loot, and continuing the rampage from there.

We fought them, and it got worse. But in time, it did get better. The answer was time, and the almighty banhammer of Trion. But it came too late for our guild. Weeks of being unable to enter our homes had driven most of my guild away from Archeage. Now I roam the Crowfall forums.

Sounds awful. Like Skynet.

I'm sure cheats will pop up. I've heard enough from Todd to know AC will do whatever it takes to deal with that kind of thing. They understand what that kind of thing means in a game with this kind of asset destruction.

I am not sure how viable bots will be with inventory loot. Maybe EK botting will be a thing? I guess it will also depend on what the percentage of loot will be for the other bands. 

That's the answer.

Bring on the bots. We'll fight Skynet and get rich doin' it.

Good point Mytherceria.

I am not sure how viable bots will be with inventory loot. Maybe EK botting will be a thing? I guess it will also depend on what the percentage of loot will be for the other bands. 

I'm not sure how viable bots will be with having to actually win the world to get good resources back, especially in the dregs.

They won't just need to farm, they will have to compete with the players to win and transfer the loot back.  If they are doing that, they are as much players as bots, and if they are automated, well odds are they will lose.

Some luxuries are worth having, and one of them is knowing what the custard you're harvesting or picking off the ground. Some people are color blind, some people just suck at identifying colors altogether, the UI should at least accommodate these people. I don't want nameplates floating over the resource node, but if I hover over it with my cursor it should at least tell me what it is.

The argument for displaying information of a node when you hover over it isn't that much different from argument with the UI menus for crafting. Both of these things are inconvenient when they don't need to be.

If something doesn't need to be made hard (like displaying what a node is), it shouldn't be.

Helix has a good point here.