Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kino

Forgemaster Gender-Locked?

While I realize the back story in the hero page is a sample back story, but it is supposed to reveal some of the Lore of Crowfall. The back story specifically says "All my brothers, born in that single moment. " and "Stoneborn take no wives, sire no children. When a brother falls to the Hunger, we mourn."

Now, the FAQ says 

Some of the archetypes are locked to a particular gender, but most of them are not.  As a general rule, humanoid characters can be played in either gender, and non-humanoids (i.e. the “monster races”) are locked to a single gender.

Now, since the overwherlming reference to "brothers" in the backstory, and the fact that the FAQ says "as a general rule" does that mean the Forgemaster is Gender-Locked? Or are we going with the "humanoid characters can be played in either gender."?

Since the quote reads "Stoneborn take no wives, sire no children," I would expect them the gender-locked into male because it reads wives over spouses or partners. Had it said something other than wives I would expect there to exist females other than the "Mother of All," but from this statement alone I'd put my money on a locked gender.

Yes, the Stoneborn ARE all one gender.  (Male-ish, since they don't reproduce. technically, since they are made of stone and wood, they're more like golems.)

I'm not willing to bend on this one, because who they are and where they came from are critical to the game's narrative.  This particular chapter is a cornerstone of our backstory.

With the other archetypes, I'm pretty open in this regard.  If enough people are interested in female Centaurs -- sure, no problem!  It's not that I don't like the idea; it's just that we're trying to be realistic and spend our resources on the features/assets that will be the most popular.  We had to make educated guesses as to what fell on either side of that line.  If we made the wrong call, and you guys REALLY want a female Centaur Legionnaire (or whatever), we are totally cool with that.

But when the narrative relies on it, well, that's another matter.  I hope you understand, and will be willing to give me this one.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

If it's a burden on the dev team or the budget for the moment (which is a totally reasonable thing), would crowdfunding or a patch after release be a possible option for more gender variety down the road? I think it's safe to say that nobody wants to compromise the core content of the game, regardless of their stance on the gender issue.

Edited by txteclipse

Yes, the Stoneborn ARE all one gender.  (Male-ish, since they don't reproduce. technically, since they are made of stone and wood, they're more like golems.)

I'm not willing to bend on this one, because who they are and where they came from are critical to the game's narrative.  This particular chapter is a cornerstone of our backstory.

With the other archetypes, I'm pretty open in this regard.  If enough people are interested in female Centaurs -- sure, no problem!  It's not that I don't like the idea; it's just that we're trying to be realistic and spend our resources on the features/assets that will be the most popular.  We had to make educated guesses as to what fell on either side of that line.  If we made the wrong call, and you guys REALLY want a female Centaur Legionnaire (or whatever), we are totally cool with that.

But when the narrative relies on it, well, that's another matter.  I hope you understand, and will be willing to give me this one.

Todd

ACE

No problem! I don't mind that they're gender-locked to Male, I was just wondering if they were. So far I've gone through the gender-lock thing thinking "humanoid = not locked, non-humanoid = gender locked" so I just got a little tripped up thinking that a humanoid was gender locked. Thank you for the clarification.

Has Gimli taught us nothing? 

Seriously though: any excuse for narrative to drive game play is welcome. If you made all humans one-armed and had a good enough reason for it, well, that might be awesome.

...or it might be terrible. See, this is why I'll never be a game designer.

just an Eldreth

Todd

ACE

That's cool. This one seems pretty explained in lore as being all-male (well, genderless but male-looking), and there are other options for two-legged ladies. :)

I am a BIG fan of the little guys. Are they little? Don't really have any scaling comparison to tell relative heights. Devs have not really used the term dwarf or anything indicating a smaller stature. 

One of the silly thing that I always liked about SB was character model size was relative to race + strength. You could tell a Con Barb from a Str Barb with a glance. I don't think I've played a game since that had that feature. Might be cool to see visual ques for other stats. Really high Dex gives you a blurring motion when you move. Spirit gives you an aura. Intelligence, not sure maybe a huge head, like a super villain?  

Crowfall: The Official Game of

crowfallwiki.com

While I realize the back story in the hero page is a sample back story, but it is supposed to reveal some of the Lore of Crowfall. The back story specifically says "All my brothers, born in that single moment. " and "Stoneborn take no wives, sire no children. When a brother falls to the Hunger, we mourn."

Now, the FAQ says 

Some of the archetypes are locked to a particular gender, but most of them are not.  As a PNaSjXs.jpg rule, humanoid characters can be played in either gender, and non-humanoids (i.e. the “monster races”) are locked to a single gender.

Now, since the overwherlming reference to "brothers" in the backstory, and the fact that the FAQ says "as a general rule" does that mean the Forgemaster is Gender-Locked? Or are we going with the "humanoid characters can be played in either gender."?

eEvERiW.jpg

Now, the FAQ says 

Some of the archetypes are locked to a particular gender, but most of them are not.  As a general rule, humanoid characters can be played in either gender, and non-humanoids (i.e. the “monster races”) are locked to a single gender.

Thank you for the obvious, but I already addressed the General Rule part in bold. I was looking for confirmation if Forgemaster was going with the humanoid characters can be played in either gender part and not the exception to the rule. Thanks for reading the whole post though.

Edited by kino

Todd

ACE

Right call, as stated most are accustomed to male only Dwarves, especially the SB crowd.

I feel the statements about Stoneborn being male(ish) 'being critical to the lore' is more of a driving factor than 'people are used to male-only dwarves'. >_>

Very much so. It's my understanding that the devs are attempting to do the opposite of what people are accustomed to.

Thank you for the obvious, but I already addressed the General Rule part in bold. I was looking for confirmation if Forgemaster was going with the humanoid characters can be played in either gender part and not the exception to the rule. Thanks for reading the whole post though.

Ikr. -_-

People these days. :rolleyes:

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...