Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kino

Forgemaster Gender-Locked?

I am Trish, the rock.  I have no breasts because, hey, rock, and no giving birth.  I also have a totally smooth crotch.

That being said, hopefully the number of gender locked archetypes are limited to give more flexibility.  However, I'm not above playing a female locked archetype if it's that's the archetype I want to play.  

I don't really associate myself with my avatars anyway as I have a hard time finding a male character that is as devilishly cute as I

I am Trish, the rock.  I have no breasts because, hey, rock, and no giving birth.  I also have a totally smooth crotch.

That being said, hopefully the number of gender locked archetypes are limited to give more flexibility.  However, I'm not above playing a female locked archetype if it's that's the archetype I want to play.  

I don't really associate myself with my avatars anyway as I have a hard time finding a male character that is as devilishly cute as I

aqqolqejekybc40h7akq.jpg

mael4.jpg

But how can adorable rat person fight with a two handed axes like scary big-horsemans?

I found LotRO's way of doing it pretty acceptable. Every race was allowed to play every class that made sense for their race. This resulted in humans being able to play (nearly) every class.

That seemed like a good solution to me because humans are a nice neutral race. Everyone (presumably) is a human in real life so they generally don't envoke the "I seriously don't want to play that" / "I can't identify with that character at all" reaction most fantasy races will envoke in at least a portion of individuals.

It also made the races feel more well rounded. While not optimal it was viable to create a group that would only accept a single race. Whichever way you did it all the major bases were covered. I feel like that's kind of important because a world where all archers are dryads, and all dryads are archers is completely non-immersive. 

I just can't name any good MMOs that don't at least give you the option to default to a human of your preferred gender for most classes. Even in single players RPGs the only good ones I can think of that don't do that are ones like Zelda and Metroid games that follow specific non-customizable protagonists. I think the association of that mechanic with bad games (*cough* Diablo 3 *cough* Archlord *cough* Knight Online *cough*) is part of what shuts me off to it so quickly.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

Its not like we can be anything we want, not taking away our freedom of choice. I'd WANT to be a badass dwarf battlesmith...ok i guess i got my wish BUT some people might wanna be like, uh.. A goblin bomber. But they probably cant be :( We can only be what they give us.

Import as much of the SB Dwarf lore possible.  Was always a huge fan of the dwarves-as-living-rock of SB.  Fitting Thurin's pseudo Sons again play a central role as they did in SB's lore.  The Song of Mourning grows long.

Edited by angelmar

I am wondering if they could potentially give some more neutral options when doing the customization options. 

For example have a slightly thinner body model, some longer hair options, some softer faces, and a beardless option.

By lore Stonemen are gender-less, but in customization you might be able to make one that looks more neuter or feminine, and more customization is never a bad thing.

This way you respect the lore as in there are no distinctly male or female stonemen, but you allow the players the ability to customize and role-play as they desire.

Perhaps your character has spent a lot of time with humans and due to personality or appearance, has decided to take a more feminine persona, or the humans you interact with treat more as a woman, than a man.

One of the really interesting things about stonemen and their lore is how they, as a gender-less race, will react to gender-ed races, and how gender-ed races will react to them. 

There can not be some girls among the Stoneborn, because... you know... with their two big... erm...

298897index.jpg

They would be the litterally hottest chicks ever  :D  :wub:

More seriously, I can't wait to create my stone dude, I love their golem shape, just hope they won't be dwarf size :lol:

Todd

ACE

Thanks for your reply Todd, don't worry about genders and stuff, some people are freaking out a bit it seems but it is really a non-issue for almost everyone. Focus your limited resources elsewhere. :D

Member of The BlackHand Order

Yes, the Stoneborn ARE all one gender.  (Male-ish, since they don't reproduce. technically, since they are made of stone and wood, they're more like golems.)

I'm not willing to bend on this one, because who they are and where they came from are critical to the game's narrative.  This particular chapter is a cornerstone of our backstory.

With the other archetypes, I'm pretty open in this regard.  If enough people are interested in female Centaurs -- sure, no problem!  It's not that I don't like the idea; it's just that we're trying to be realistic and spend our resources on the features/assets that will be the most popular.  We had to make educated guesses as to what fell on either side of that line.  If we made the wrong call, and you guys REALLY want a female Centaur Legionnaire (or whatever), we are totally cool with that.

But when the narrative relies on it, well, that's another matter.  I hope you understand, and will be willing to give me this one.

Todd

ACE

I think is reasonable that the centaurs could have the two genders, because, Gaius Aurelius said that his wife Cloelia was one that could not be tamed, then, i think there is not a problem that womens centaurs can be warriors, because, there is some respect in they society, what wont happen with the assassin and the forgemaster. 

Another thing is that, there is girls gamers that will play Crowfall, then, i think is worth to make the game for all. Like this situation:

Edited by Vaands

"An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A Ranger practices until he never gets it wrong." -The Lost Stories  

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

I think is reasonable that the centaurs could have the two genders, because, Gaius Aurelius said that his wife Cloelia was one that could not be tamed, then, i think there is not a problem that womens centaurs can be warriors, because, there is some respect in they society, what wont happen with the assassin and the forgemaster. 

Another thing is that, there is girls gamers that will play Crowfall, then, i think is worth to make the game for all. 

As a female gamer I'd actually say that I don't mind genderlocked races/classes. To be honest, while I'm happy one of the stretch goals is making female centaurs, I have no intention of playing that race regardless of whether it's achieved or not. I just think it'd be fun to see both genders of centaurs running around. While I do prefer to play a female character, the Forgemaster is my absolute favorite class because A) I love playing any form of support that's not useless in battle and B ) I'm a huge fan of crafting. So personally, I have NO problem letting them have this. This is so minor that I'm surprised there are people upset about it. While I wouldn't mind them making another Dwarf-like race (although, not gonna lie, outside the beard they don't seem very Dwarf-like to me because they seem rather tall in videos and pictures), I couldn't care less what gender they are. Make them useful and lore-friendly and you've sold me, same as the other race/classes.

ArtCraft, you're doing a fabulous job so far and I look forward to seeing further updates on your funding! Hopefully you make the stretch goals and "hire another Eric"! Lol

Edited by shadowfang1992

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

I think I'd agree with JTodd on this one.

Forgemaster's don't really have a gender, they're more like golems in my opinion.

Ironically, I'm usually not one for having anything gender-locked. But as it makes sense lore-wise, I can agree with the developers decision for this.

In any case, I look forward to actually playing a Forgemaster when the game comes out, all the same.

Can it be gender locked with no gender? They are a sterile race, created by the gods. When one dies, there are none to replace them. This is why they mourn. They will eventually dwindle unto extinction.

The most interesting thing was telling us that they are the same as the Hunger, which makes them a race, PC or NPC, so it's not just a food mechanic.

They hunger for you.

Incorrect, they were born from hunger and consider it their great shame. They want, desperately, to FIX the worlds, stop the hunger, keep the flame of life alive (a forge master works to keep the fires of the forge hot and alive, not dwindle away...hotter the forge fire the better the metal produced). The lore revealed specifically states they toil inside of man's worlds to keep the fires alive.

They hunger for only one thing, the death of hunger itself and to fix the world that birthed them...or to at least stop worlds from constantly being sacrificed.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

It's totally fine that Forgemasters are sex-locked. We have one men-only race, and one women-only race (Assassins).

Well, with the new stretch goal, that we will obviously reach the ForgeMaster will be the only humanoid race gender locked.

"Las batallas van y vienen pero mis soldados son eternos"

Well, with the new stretch goal, that we will obviously reach the ForgeMaster will be the only humanoid race gender locked.

As posted a lot above, they are not gender locked, they are no gender they are made of rock and wood...

Be the same as saying trees are man and rocks are female. No gender

Yes, the Stoneborn ARE all one gender.  (Male-ish, since they don't reproduce. technically, since they are made of stone and wood, they're more like golems.)

I'm not willing to bend on this one, because who they are and where they came from are critical to the game's narrative.  This particular chapter is a cornerstone of our backstory.

With the other archetypes, I'm pretty open in this regard.  If enough people are interested in female Centaurs -- sure, no problem!  It's not that I don't like the idea; it's just that we're trying to be realistic and spend our resources on the features/assets that will be the most popular.  We had to make educated guesses as to what fell on either side of that line.  If we made the wrong call, and you guys REALLY want a female Centaur Legionnaire (or whatever), we are totally cool with that.

But when the narrative relies on it, well, that's another matter.  I hope you understand, and will be willing to give me this one.

Todd

ACE

We NEED humanoid-fox scout type class a la Disney Robin Hood Movie.

U1U8i28.png

On 1/29/2015 at 10:13 AM, skookum said:

You could look at them as genderless but if you need to pick one because of our language limitations, going to be male.

Damn, pity, since they seemed to have been a crafting focused archetype seems a shame they'll be gender locked.

Narrative stuff makes sense though, but I do hope we get something short and cute for a female archetype later, assuming the game takes off and the team can afford to -make- more archetypes.

Edited by shadowclasper