Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oridi

Sad Healer Is Sad. "light In Combat Healing"

Magical 4th wall breaking permissions

We're teleporting between worlds  with our centaurs and stone men, and dealing with an inter-dimensional zombie threat.  Not to mention the hundreds of other lines of code and mathematical laws that have to do with game mechanics, such as instant global/guild/group chat across vast stretches of land ;).

Edit: Or were you talking about TeamSpeak?

Edited by seventhbeacon

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

whoa....who said its a problem??

I am all for ninja looting

Doesn't matter what loot proportions the farmers get either if Hillbilly's crew PK's the farmers.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I honestly can't see a real problem about not have a dedicated healer per se.

When Thomas B replied to me I pretty much understood his comment. 

A good support player will obviously choose the right archetype and go along that path to train up some heals too.

288mqgz.png

Taric is probably my favorite thing to play on LoL and maybe theu are modeling support roles to be something similar. I love healing an ally just enough to get him out of death, then stunning n goin in for the kill. That could be a hell of a lot of fun on a larger scale

X6RBqg7.gif

What I get from that quote is that the old-school "stand in the back spamming heals and playing health bar whack a mole" method doesn't really work in skill-based action combat. And it doesn't. But that doesn't mean you can't play meaningful group support. It really depends on what the support options will be in Crowfall, and we don't know that yet.

This is a misconception... there's absolutely no reason a healing role cannot work with action based combat.

Healers don't like to be discounted as "support" - they should be a 1st class citizen in the combat hierarchy in *any* group-based game.

What people seem to forget about the "trinity" is that it appeals to at least 3 very different play styles, and that means variety and choices.

I think Guild Wars 2 showed how poorly "light combat healing" has worked out.

zjsbjmn.png

I'm fine with their heal definition as like as in GW2, cause every member has to participate in battle and don't stay behind and just press cople heal buttons.

You've never played a healer.

You know how rich your experience as a DPS is? How you have to think about your builds, gear and path for progression? Healing has all of that too... in a completely different way. It's a play style many, many folks enjoy,

zjsbjmn.png

I've always played Paladins, back in Everquest I was an all-into-wisdom High Elf Paladin, I had more mana than most priest classes I ran into. I loved being able to drop heals in crucial moments and had turned the tide in more than a few hectic PvP encounters on both live and Project 1999 Red. I fell in love with healing through that experience and a healing ability was a necessity for me in any game or class I played since, and was a big reason GW2 didn't work out for me, personally.

Now, with that said, I took some time to digest this aspect of the update and after a period of sandy genitals I arrived at the conclusion that its for the best.

Its not so much that healers don't work with action combat, or healers don't work in a title with PvP,  because they do.

Healers don't work within the confines of a extremely non-PvE centric, mass PvP focused title with collision detection and sieges as evidenced by the testimonials of Warhammer: Age of Reckoning players in which people could cluster up, and just eat heals, bubbles, etc to outlive massive damage and completely cheese group combat.

After pondering that for a while, it makes sense.

Now, that isn't to say that healing won't be in CF, I imagine it will be and that they'll be smaller heal over time abilities rather than dump heals which J. Todd rather accurately described as hp multipliers. I imagine the TTK (time to kill) in this title will be fairly small and while I know most people say they'd rather have a 15 minute fight than a 15 second fight, most people say that with the idea of a 1v1 or small group skirmish in mind rather than a 100 person siege event.

I don't think anybody wants to see the CrowFall meta turn into a guild cramming all their fatty Champion archetypes into the castle doorway while they trade AoE heals to counteract the opposing guild's AoE nukes. That is total weaksauce and any jaded MMO veteran knows that is exactly how it'd turn out.

2ppiwpt.jpg

Were this Everquest Next, a group PvE encounter focused title I would be (and am) butt hurt over the lack of "trinity" group mechanics and dedicated healers, but this is an entirely different animal.

p.s. I want chat bubbles.

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg

I've never understood the obsession with having a dedicated support class. It's always been my understanding that teams support each other by leveraging each others strengths and filling in weaknesses. Not one individual who has the expectation of doing so.

Honestly it's downright unimaginative to have a support class. It's an easy way out of giving players utility greater than deeps and fortitude alone.

Is the role of a military combat medic not similar to that of a dedicated support class in an MMO?

Not that I've spent time in the military, but my understanding is that the combat medic's primary role is the care and safety of wounded soldiers.  He carries a weapon, but is instructed to only engage in combat when he must protect someone under his care (or his own life I assume).

Sounds pretty MMO-healerish to me.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

I think that a 'healer' class isn't really needed. From what it seems, everyone might have some kind of small heal, or supports will be able to offer some kind of small heals or damage mitigation. Rather than having a focus on "we take damage" and "we need healing from healers" the game seems to be offering ways for you to mitigate damage through dodge rolls (dashes) and small self healing..which is way better than someone hitting a button and full healing a target.

You've never played a healer.

You know how rich your experience as a DPS is? How you have to think about your builds, gear and path for progression? Healing has all of that too... in a completely different way. It's a play style many, many folks enjoy,

I mean that in real battle you don't have enough time to "heal", at least some pills, bandages etc. I think that's why developers decided to don't build bishops, restor druids or smthing like this.

I have played a lot with pure heal champs)

I think that a 'healer' class isn't really needed. From what it seems, everyone might have some kind of small heal, or supports will be able to offer some kind of small heals or damage mitigation. Rather than having a focus on "we take damage" and "we need healing from healers" the game seems to be offering ways for you to mitigate damage through dodge rolls (dashes) and small self healing..which is way better than someone hitting a button and full healing a target.

Before gw2 I would agree with you. After seeing how it turned out in practice, please no. Or at least I hope Crowfall takes a very different take on it.

The term "healer" carries many assumptions with it. Which we wanted to avoid.

The intent for support to have key buffs, debuffs, physics related powers at a cost of damage or defensive is exactly what we want to do. That isn't to say in the Discipline Runestones (or combination of Disciplines) there won't be healing, it's really hard to predict. There just won't be a primary Archtype devoted to it.

I am hoping this indicates that support can protect existing health bars in direct and effective ways, rather than the traditional role of healing to replenish health bars. If it indicates a couple buffs pre-fight, that would be disappointing to me.

For example, an active "throw your shield" that protects a fighter, versus a couple strength and hp buffs.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Maybe I won't be able to just "whoosh, be healed!" but I would like to think that if I take a certain type of support archetype and get the correct traits/skills or whatever that I'll be able to give you the ability to keep yourself from dying.  It may be shields or buffs.  It could be that I could even trade places with your for a brief moment so you have time to pop some pills or use band aids.

Probably not the best example but if you've ever watched the anime Log Horizon.  The main character's class is Enchanter.  In the show it explains that not many liked to play this class because it doesn't have very good DPS on its own.  It is meant to be played in a group because all of its skills help benefit other players.

If the support classes in CF are like that then in my opinion we're good to go.  Give a man a heal he'll be alive for a moment, give him buffs, cc, shields, life on hit, debuff enemies, etc. and he'll be able to fight for a lifetime.

Between dreams and reality.

Lantern Watch

The idea of a conventional MMO healer makes sense when your teammates are never supposed to die, even against ridiculously overwhelming odds.

I am still undecided if I like this or not. 

I will say though that this only promotes zerg guilds. Smaller tight knit guilds that might be able to kill twice their number due to coordination and good healing will for sure find it much harder to do with limited to no healing. We don't know everything there is to know and maybe it's too early to jump to this conclusion though. Only time will tell.

While I have always enjoyed support roles in games, having strong healing usually turned the role into healbot far too much of the time.

Overall have always preferred the debuffer and/or cc roles <3 CoH archetypes.

Other forms of support exist and hopefully this change in crowfall will allow for more of a variety of support... flavors.

However, I can understand wanting to only play as a healer. Hopefully the limited healing capabilities listed will be strong enough to allow those dedicated to their craft to be the Nami or Alistar of crowfall. Where, their sustain is a fundamental part of their kit, bit not the only focus

I enjoy healing because it one kind of troll , who said you can't taunt in PVP ?

Think about the case where other side player piss off because of the healer give me good laugh .

Other troll class that i enjoy in PVP is CC tanks , you keep root , slow , knock off , stun , skill cancel to taunt the enemy . CC tank have small damage but sooo annoying that people want to kill him even if it the last thing they can do.

Taunt in PVP isn't about click the button and use some high aggro skill but about piss off your enemy , make them mad and focus on you .

Play healing and tanking a lots in PVP and mass PVP, they are very interest classes to play. You don't need DPS to make people cry *evil*

Edited by g oogi