Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tanom

Disassemble without Salvaging?

I am sorry if this has been asked before.  I did a quick search and did not see anything.

It would be nice to be able to disassemble weapons and such after it is completely assembled.  As an example, I make a One Handed Rapier.  The final requirement is Weapon Hilt and Weapon Blade: Thin to build the final weapon.  At the time of making this all I had was Tin ore.  The next day I get a shipment of Silver ore and I make a new Weapon Blade: Thin with it.  It would be nice to be able to disassemble the Rapier back down to the Hilt and blade and reattach the new blade making a new weapon.  There could even be a possibility of destroying the weapon while disassembling it and of course the normal chance to fail while making the new one.

Edited by tanom

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Risk vs. Reward, babe.

This is even realistic. We're not making this stuff from machined interchangeable parts.

Old world craftsmanship requires you to hammer that hilt and blade together in the forge until they are welded seamlessly,

even if they're dissimilar metals.

Such an artwork would likely yield unusable parts if you tried to separate them.

Of course IRL, most of the metal would survive the process, being usable for later creations (salvaged resources, at alloy level).

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I'm not sure how I feel on this one... I see benefits to both sides.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was added in the future though, since they did mention adding the ability to repair things.

Repairing worn/damaged items is already in big world.

Blacksmiths gain that ability for metal items, and it follows logic that the other crafts will be able to repair items as well once those other craft trees are added to the game. We can't ever repair an item back to its original condition though. It's more of a band-aid.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Risk vs. Reward, babe.

Old world craftsmanship requires you to hammer that hilt and blade together in the forge until they are welded seamlessly,

even if they're dissimilar metals.

I disagree.  The hilt and blade were not one piece.  Look at the Katana.  Guns back in the day were metal barrels attached to wooden stocks.  Taking them apart was not easy but it could be done.

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

The rate of recovery, vs the current total loss mechanic, is going to have to be balanced rather carefully.  

For example, if you recover 80% or more of materials on a deconstruct, then you will have less reason to take easy chances and always go for, and wait for, the best success possible on every experiment phase, so you can build a perfect blueprint.

If you lose 80%, then maybe the materials are more valuable than the extra chance every five tries.

I would personally have the recovery always downgrade the quality of the recovered materials by 1, with lowest quality being unrecoverable.

Then % of recover will matter less, as in no case will you get to recycle the best materials.

I would also treat failures the same way, every material associated with the failure downgrades one quality level, with lowest quality being destroyed.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

I would personally have the recovery always downgrade the quality of the recovered materials by 1, with lowest quality being unrecoverable.

I like this idea a lot.