Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
saludeen

Consider Removing The Optional Ground Texture.

Generally, melee attacks happen in the area in front of the character.  There is no hard “target”.  Attacks use various shapes such as: cones, rectangles, and spheres. You can optionally turn on or off a projected ground texture, if you want to visualize where your character is attacking.

Force players to aim with spell visuals alone.

Why not give players the option to use ground textures? 

If the option is available then good players will have to use it because it creates an advantage.

Who cares?  Just use it then.

Artificial textures, like Wildstar telegraphs, look stupid and decrease immersion because they don't fit in the game world.

telegraph.jpg

But how do we know where it hits?

By looking at the spell effects and knowing from practice.  The "invisible cone" should be aligned with the visuals of the actual spell.

Edited by saludeen

The rest of the FAQ looks amazing though.  I'm happy with everything else, which says alot because i'm picky when it comes to MMO's. 

Edited by saludeen

Indeed in agreement about lowering the skill ceiling. Perhaps only having the ground textures in the outer rim worlds where players are safe to practice and hone their skills, completely removing them in the more dangerous and pvp oriented inner worlds.

Agreed +1

In large fights telegraphs and hit detectors is all you see.

Don't do it devs. It's a bad move. Rely on the effects of the skills. Each skill animation should be a telegraph on its own without assisted targettjng that the players should have to understand, acknowledge and respond to based on skill and paying attention.

I agree. This is one of those things that sounds harmless but really changes the game. instead of looking at beautiful fantasy characters, you are looking at shapes on the ground.

Humans tend towards the path of least resistance. This usually means making use of advantages that are available to you. In a game where i can lose my gear, i don't want to lose stuff knowing that i might have won had i been using this option. leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

With telegraphs, you are focus is on the shapes on the ground. Instead of observing a mage casting a spell at you, you are observing the circle on the ground. There is no reason to look at the characters.

I agree. This is one of those things that sounds harmless but really changes the game. instead of looking at beautiful fantasy characters, you are looking at shapes on the ground.

Humans tend towards the path of least resistance. This usually means making use of advantages that are available to you. In a game where i can lose my gear, i don't want to lose stuff knowing that i might have won had i been using this option. leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

With telegraphs, you are focus is on the shapes on the ground. Instead of observing a mage casting a spell at you, you are observing the circle on the ground. There is no reason to look at the characters.

That's true, having them as "optional" isn't exactly optional, since they bring so much advantage to the table. I just watched some end-game PvP of Wildstar, and came to the conclusion that by having them it is way too easy to avoid your opponents nukes, just because you can take look at some massive red line on the ground, and not the players character. I don't want to play a game of avoid the line and make sure your lines stick to the enemy, I want reactive PvP where I judge my next action based on the enemy's character, not some UI.

Edited by nehemia

Who cares?  Just use it then.

Artificial textures, like Wildstar telegraphs, look stupid and decrease immersion because they don't fit in the game world.

You lost me at immersion.  <_<

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Generally, melee attacks happen in the area in front of the character.  There is no hard “target”.  Attacks use various shapes such as: cones, rectangles, and spheres. You can optionally turn on or off a projected ground texture, if you want to visualize where your character is attacking.

"your character"(!)

As I read it, the telegraph projected ground texture is only displayed for your own attacks if you enable it. So I don't think we'll see something like Wildstar's telegraph overload.

It's not even the immersion factor that has me worried about this, it's the fact that the skill ceiling is lowered exponentially if there are visual cues on the ground. What happened to this is a unique game? We're not Wildstar.

After re-reading it, It might not be a telegraph system like wildstar. It says "You can optionally turn on or off a projected ground texture, if you want to visualize where your character is attacking." it might be more comparable to league's system where you only use the template to aim the skill.

Edited by Tyrogon