Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xotix

Hunger

I believe the Hunger will be a type of radiation that will limit playing time for people in certain zones. The character's resistance will effect how long the player can survive outside the "safe zone". This would mean players would have to plan ahead before undergoing any adventurers. 

I don't think I know either, but why would the people call radiation sickness, "the Hunger"?

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I don't think I know either, but why would the people call radiation sickness, "the Hunger"?

I could see it as it feels like you are starving to death and you feel the energy draining from your body.

I'm a bit confused by this, what is radiation sickness? The only effect of radiation is super powers.

On a more serious note I would hazard the guess that the people thinking its a npc something or other are close to the truth if only for the stoneborn backstory

"My kind was born of Gaea, Mother of All.  All my brothers, born in that single moment. 

Bastard sons of the Wretched God – I shall not honor him by name. The pain of our birth broke the World and killed our Mother. This is our eternal shame. It falls to us, to dress her wounds.

Stoneborn take no wives, sire no children. When a brother falls to the Hunger, we mourn."

and

"When the Hunger comes, the flame falters. The warmth bleeds away. The Hunger is our shame; they are the same. Now you understand, yes?"

This could mean that the hunger is an npc race, or it could be looked at that the hunger is more etheral and the stoneborn are trying to fix it. The use of shame in the two instances is hard for my tiny brain to extrapolate more.

This could mean that the hunger is an npc race, 

^ Positive they are, we will find out next week though.

"Another weekend is upon us! We're calling next week "Hunger Week". What does that mean? well... you'll find out."

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

Sounds like it could be a penalty of some sort. Maybe, to prevent the abuse of killing lowbies in starting areas or in regards of a death penalty? 

You may be onto something.

Until the End of Days, we shall toil in the belly of the Realms of Man. We shall keep your fires lit, unless the last of us is no more.

When the Hunger comes, the flame falters. The warmth bleeds away. The Hunger is our shame; they are the same. 

Maybe "the flame" is an individual's intelligence and "the warmth" is whatever drives us to be cooperative and civilized.

So, the Stoneborn toil to build civilization in the surviving realms of man, knowing it is futile, but better than giving up because it gives more of us a chance to get away from the Hunger at the center of the galaxy. Somehow the black hole at the galactic core emanates magic, as matter and energy are sucked into it. Perhaps the spirit in each of us is also leeched away. When the Hunger comes fully upon a person, his intelligence falters and compassion bleeds away. Selfishness (and Valkyn's actions) created the Stoneborn, but destroyed their star (Gaia), creating the black hole, which sucked up the nearest star systems, extending the Hunger.

As this is an existential crisis as well as a cosmic one, we're all fleeing the galactic core via the ancient runegates, where magic is less strong and heavy elements less common, but the Hunger has a weaker pull on us (due to the distance squared reduction in force).

So uncivilized acts, like breaking one's oath or killing a foe who surrenders to you might lower your Hunger resistance, but Death would lower it even more. Every time you die, you roll a check against your Hunger resistance to see if you stay in the world you're in. If you fail, you wind up back in the Dregs. Maybe the wild magic there somehow brings you back to yourself.

Those consumed by the Hunger on higher worlds would likely attack you on their way toward the nearest runegate going down, but that's likely where they're going.

Since graveyards are a Point of interest on our Shadow(bane) world map, maybe all units that die respawn in the nearest graveyard. The ones who resisted the Hunger do what they want (go get geared up?), and those who succumbed march back down as NPC's.

There are definitely summoning circles, so likely your guild can summon you back from wherever you are once you are yourself again. But Summoning circles cost reagents, like bloodgems (Ralph Koster mentioned both summoning circles and using bloodgems in summonings).

I'll also guess that Thralls are the spirits of the people who succumbed to the Hunger and never came to themselves.

If all this is true (fat chance), Spells will have more powerful effects in the Dregs than in Gods Reach worlds.

Now how's that for Rampant Speculation? 

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

-snip-

Now how's that for Rampant Speculation? 

By the Gods! The Rampantness of this one Speculations is unfathomable! We must take him with us and train him, for to leave him to his own devices my lead us all to damnation!

The Hunger

There is a movie (1983) "The Hunger"   it's about Vampire(s) and the "hunger" to feed on blood....

And if you sort of combine this concept with the Game of Thrones "Winter is Coming" theme... (as the White Walker army approaches an extreme cold takes over)

Perhaps if you combine these three concepts: 

Undead Army Hunger to feed on flesh of the living Time 

as time passes the undead on the dying worlds become stronger ( every X minutes they get +X power ???) 

as time passes we become weaker (every X minutes we lose X power @modified by X hunger resistance ???)

???

So "The Hunger"    is like an Undead Army but also like a disease...and also more dangerous/deadly the more (time) we are exposed to it.

***  and it is not just an evil army of undead,, but undead that used to be our former friends, allies, and family (The Walking Dead, Game of thrones, World War Z, Vampire movies...)

Hunger Resistance = reduce the (the hunger damage over time effect)          

Cold Resistance = reduce (cold effect) movement penalty/efficiency penalty    ...x% movement speed decrease?

On the dying worlds we must consider: 

fighting other players, fighting the undead, Hunger disease damage over time, and "cold effect" movement penalty over time (?)

A combination of threat concepts ???

^ Positive they are, we will find out next week though.

"Another weekend is upon us! We're calling next week "Hunger Week". What does that mean? well... you'll find out."

Yes, that is going to be nice.  This hunger has us all confused and knowing what it is will answer a lot of questions.

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Crows are usually seen flying in the sky, sometimes so high that their wings touch the godlike clear blue sky, at other times so low that the black of their feathers is darkened by clouds' shadow.

Rarely we've witnessed crows gliding in the updrafts to join the stratospheric kingdom. But some have.

One sure thing : if a crow becomes really hungry, we will see it walking on the ground among dregs.

Edited by courant101

Wondering if Hunger controls how long you can stay on some worlds along with warmth, but they work directly against each other.

If everyone originally started on that one central world that looks all busted up and such in the picture of the planets, everyone could already be infected by this Hunger and the further away from it you are the more trouble it becomes to manage.

So being on the safer worlds for extended periods of time would be hard and it'd be trying to pull you back to the Dregs while staying in the Dregs you then have to worry about the dying and frozen planet so warmth becomes an issue.

That way no matter where you are your struggling with some survival mechanic and possibly picking worlds to help control it as much as possible.

I feel like that image was missing the "illuminarty" triangle somewhere.

Regardless Hunger could be some kind of mechanic limiting your life forces ability to survive on harsh worlds. Perhaps some ways to feed hunger is to steal someone elses nourishment by killing them, thus lowering how long they can spend on this world and extending your own lifespan.

Sort of like "Meta-Health".