Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PvP while load testing

Angelhearth

Isn't it about time you guys find out if you want to test server load, crafting and god knows what OR PvP? You can't test much with a bunch of players running around killing harvesters and crafters, and certainly not load testing. I mean, who in their right mind wants to play this game when they die all the time? I know you said it, that it will be a blood bath, but you really have to think about WHAT you want to test. I guess I'll wait until you decide WHAT you want to test.

BTW, you can test EVERYTHING if you don't let players loot someone they killed! That way the PvP'ers can run around killing those who want to test crafting, as much as they want.

I'm pretty sure they don't need much more than like 5 people "testing" crafting and harvesting, especially since combat gameplay is the top priority for their current development goals.

Crafting and harvesting requires 0, yes exactly zero interaction with other players since neither of those two activities currently have any kind of multi-player functionality or synergy. Therefore, it can be tested in an isolated environment or one-off test server if they so choose.

Either way, that is unnecessary because there are clearly enough players in the big world test right now who are saavy enough at survival pvp games (Rust, DayZ) to be able harvest and craft full sets of gear, that there are sufficient testing persons for the non-combat features, despite it being a blood bath.

I really doubt they need, or intended to have, every person with alpha access to log and record their experiences with crafting and beating on rocks. More likely, they just want to get a bunch of people doing a lot of random things and see what happens. Random and unguided activity can be very useful at this stage of development.

The game is revolving around group play, in all aspects. From my pov especially in this phase.

Farming :

If you go alone you are a brave (or foolish) soul, depending on whom you ask.

You need scouts/guards. You need a couple of friends for the big nodes.

You need to be a grp to counter the second part of the game - PvP.

Crafting :

Solo? Farm from it. Craft and aid friends get gear sooner. Farm gear for one person at a time to kit them out faster.

Some of us are just happy to finally be in BW, and to those who have yet to find a place to aid them or allies. They will have a really harsh time....

Or ....

They can look at it as a time to gain new friends and allies. In anycase : GL

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

I'm pretty sure they don't need much more than like 5 people "testing" crafting and harvesting, especially since combat gameplay is the top priority for their current development goals.

Crafting and harvesting requires 0, yes exactly zero interaction with other players since neither of those two activities currently have any kind of multi-player functionality or synergy. Therefore, it can be tested in an isolated environment or one-off test server if they so choose.

Either way, that is unnecessary because there are clearly enough players in the big world test right now who are saavy enough at survival pvp games (Rust, DayZ) to be able harvest and craft full sets of gear, that there are sufficient testing persons for the non-combat features, despite it being a blood bath.

I really doubt they need, or intended to have, every person with alpha access to log and record their experiences with crafting and beating on rocks. More likely, they just want to get a bunch of people doing a lot of random things and see what happens. Random and unguided activity can be very useful at this stage of development.

Well, during the time I was online today (4-5 hours I guess) there where fewer than 100 or so players on all 3 servers (combined) or approximately 1/6 of the max. Not much of a server load.

Well, during the time I was online today (4-5 hours I guess) there where fewer than 100 or so players on all 3 servers (combined) or approximately 1/6 of the max. Not much of a server load.

And yet the servers have had to be capped at various times the past week in order to keep them stable. If they need more people to load the servers, they will simply invite more folks, including beta only people. The reality is, they are probably still working hard to make the game system stable enough to just support the current amount of people.

25'ish players online on EU-server. But I'll try to find someone who is interested in harvesting and crafting the next time I log on.

So there was 25 people in the WHOLE server but you still found the PvP hardcore enough to complain about it here? Sigh...

So there was 25 people in the WHOLE server but you still found the PvP hardcore enough to complain about it here? Sigh...

It's not so much a complaint as a question about what the developers wants to test. Sure, if it's PvP, I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait for a while.

It's not so much a complaint as a question about what the developers wants to test. Sure, if it's PvP, I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait for a while.

For me they are testing how the game works for the first time. The game as a whole. If they would test all parts alone it would take longer and when they put it all together it would all far apart because of unknow factors.

I wasnt trying to be rude but people bring this up ALL the time. Use the chat and ask for parties there, this is like the basics of MMO games. With so much similar posts you will receive at least five requests...

Isn't it about time you guys find out if you want to test server load, crafting and god knows what OR PvP? You can't test much with a bunch of players running around killing harvesters and crafters, and certainly not load testing. I mean, who in their right mind wants to play this game when they die all the time? I know you said it, that it will be a blood bath, but you really have to think about WHAT you want to test. I guess I'll wait until you decide WHAT you want to test.

BTW, you can test EVERYTHING if you don't let players loot someone they killed! That way the PvP'ers can run around killing those who want to test crafting, as much as they want.

I would say roughly 65% of my time has been solo play, and of that time, half of it has been harvesting/crafting solo.

If i dont want to fight a gank, i run. Unless you are so focused that you're oblivious, you should be okay, play wary and be aware that the harvesting sounds you make are literally a beacon.

Know your stuns, know the quickest way to jet, always look around. 

You know, act like people can come up and attack you.

CfWBSig.png

I hope you know this test isn't just about gathering and crafting. They are still testing pvp elements in relation to these things. They are trying to see how to make all these elements co-exist. So teaming up, finding methods to avoid being ganked, finding good tactics to use to gank people and balancing these things to a point where is a fair balance is part of this testing. Try to find ways to avoid being killed and if you can find flaws or improvements to this system then state it, it will help in the long run. 

Just stated this in another topic, please don't misunderstand what is being tested here and its a waste to only test one feature at a time. 

Edited by silhaku

Consider it this way. 

The devs get to see what starting over/out is like, repeatedly.  I would focus my attention about that part of the process. Answer these questions and provide feed back on

How long does it take to get your first weapon?

... armor?

... enough stuff to feel like you are making progress?  

What about that is good/fun, what about that is painful, un-fun?

How are the menus working? How does the results of crafting attempts feel, etc.

{I think I answered the above in my first post in the weekend feed back thread for the most part.}

I am choosing to work on the only things I can take with me to the next tests, and eventually the game, skills and experience.  Remember, all this stuff is getting wiped, and learning to get by in this harsh of an environment is going to go along way to how successful you will be in new worlds when we have to start with little/nothing.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Consider it this way. 

The devs get to see what starting over/out is like, repeatedly.  I would focus my attention about that part of the process. Answer these questions and provide feed back on

How long does it take to get your first weapon?

... armor?

... enough stuff to feel like you are making progress?  

What about that is good/fun, what about that is painful, un-fun?

How are the menus working? How does the results of crafting attempts feel, etc.

{I think I answered the above in my first post in the weekend feed back thread for the most part.}

I am choosing to work on the only things I can take with me to the next tests, and eventually the game, skills and experience.  Remember, all this stuff is getting wiped, and learning to get by in this harsh of an environment is going to go along way to how successful you will be in new worlds when we have to start with little/nothing.

Exactly.

Alot of the crafting/harvesting testing has already been done. Sort of why there is more.....violence in the game.

CfWBSig.png

Caldera. Excellent folks and great testers. Contact Tinnis or Canth here.

I wish those great testers didn't kill someone 5v1 while he/she is in blackscreen :) Or at least didn't full clear the inventory after that.

Edited by sedside

I wish those great testers didn't kill someone 5v1 while he/she is in blackscreen :) Or at least didn't full clear the inventory after that.

yes I agree, that sucks.

I've suggested to the guild against this sort of thing as find no value or merit in it personally, but it is not something I can or will dictate to all members.

I would like to add that for the majority of the testing window that Caldera was:

• peacefully harvesting and crafting
  • literally killing people and putting stacks of gold and other goodies in their bag
  • arranging for internal guild group versus group fights and activities

However yes there was a period where a 5 group was roaming around after the end of a guild event (after giving warning in general chat) hunting people.

While I personally spent a good chunk of my time when not in a guild event:

• running around as a solo player looking for duels
  • or even happily jumping into 1v2 or greater odds.
  • I rarely looted unless I saw them looting someone else
  • would often not attack random players, even group with them or help them harvest and defend them from other attackers

Code of conduct is always going to vary by the player and just the general mood - not everyone wants to happily dance around hitting nodes ALL weekend :)

(and you know....non guild groups do this sort of thing as well!)

Edited by Tinnis