Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PvP while load testing

Angelhearth

Once again, its a PvP MMO. So yes PvP is pretty much always going to be enabled when testing this game. If you're interested in this game then obviously you're ok with PvP, so not sure why some keep making these threads complaining about PvP in a PvP game.

yes I agree, that sucks.

I've suggested to the guild against this sort of thing as find no value or merit in it personally, but it is not something I can or will dictate to all members.

I would like to add that for the majority of the testing window that Caldera was:

• peacefully harvesting and crafting
  • literally killing people and putting stacks of gold and other goodies in their bag
  • arranging for internal guild group versus group fights and activities
However yes there was a period where a 5 group was roaming around after the end of a guild event (after giving warning in general chat) hunting people.

While I personally spent a good chunk of my time when not in a guild event:

• running around as a solo player looking for duels
  • or even happily jumping into 1v2 or greater odds.
  • I rarely looted unless I saw them looting someone else
  • would often not attack random players, even group with them or help them harvest and defend them from other attackers
Code of conduct is always going to vary by the player and just the general mood - not everyone wants to happily dance around hitting nodes ALL weekend :)

(and you know....non guild groups do this sort of thing as well!)

Well, the reputation of a guild is often based on the worst player in it. If you don't agree, you should say so.

... you really have to think about WHAT you want to test. I guess I'll wait until you decide WHAT you want to test.

BTW, you can test EVERYTHING if you don't let players loot someone they killed! That way the PvP'ers can run around killing those who want to test crafting, as much as they want.

As much as I personally would like this, unfortunately I have to disagree. Testing the looting mechanic is important as well. I've read about games in the past have had known exploits related to theft which ended up duplicating items. 

I agree they need to be clear about what they hope to test in pass though. 

I expect a lot of their serious crafting testing will come during later tests, especially since they are letting skills continue to improve between them. 

Crafting and harvesting requires 0, yes exactly zero interaction with other players since neither of those two activities currently have any kind of multi-player functionality or synergy. Therefore, it can be tested in an isolated environment or one-off test server if they so choose.

I really doubt they need, or intended to have, every person with alpha access to log and record their experiences with crafting and beating on rocks. More likely, they just want to get a bunch of people doing a lot of random things and see what happens. Random and unguided activity can be very useful at this stage of development.

I thought harvesting did require interaction. At least when I was in the test I saw what I thought were harvesting nodes designed for multiple people... They were metals I could harvest, but large enough I couldn't make a dent in them before they recovered...

I do agree it can be tested in one-off test servers, and I would expect them to enable it in EK testing in the future.

I also agree completely they probably just wanted a bunch of people doing random things to see what happened!

I would say roughly 65% of my time has been solo play, and of that time, half of it has been harvesting/crafting solo.

If i dont want to fight a gank, i run. Unless you are so focused that you're oblivious, you should be okay, play wary and be aware that the harvesting sounds you make are literally a beacon.

Know your stuns, know the quickest way to jet, always look around. 

You know, act like people can come up and attack you.

Words to live by in a dangerous world...  take a quick gander about as stam recovers before tapping the next node.   Stay Frosty!

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

I thought harvesting did require interaction. At least when I was in the test I saw what I thought were harvesting nodes designed for multiple people... They were metals I could harvest, but large enough I couldn't make a dent in them before they recovered...

You get 5 nodes harvestable solo and two large nodes (that produce the same as a small node but probably will popcorn more in the future) that take a group...  if you are solo you are getting far more per resource spawn for your risk without getting the big nodes.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Honestly, killing people and taking their stuff won't likely embarrass any guild in this game. It won't hurt their reputation.

I tell ya what. If i had guild in a full loot pvp game and word got back to me they were looting stuff from people......man i would enjoy the gear made from it even more.

CfWBSig.png

Isn't it about time you guys find out if you want to test server load, crafting and god knows what OR PvP? You can't test much with a bunch of players running around killing harvesters and crafters, and certainly not load testing. I mean, who in their right mind wants to play this game when they die all the time? I know you said it, that it will be a blood bath, but you really have to think about WHAT you want to test. I guess I'll wait until you decide WHAT you want to test.

BTW, you can test EVERYTHING if you don't let players loot someone they killed! That way the PvP'ers can run around killing those who want to test crafting, as much as they want.

Maybe the best way to test the dynamics of a pvp game is to let people pvp and see how it all works...

You should learn how to

a) pvp

B) run

c) hide

d) choose games better (you chose a pvp game and then complain about the gameplay...?)

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

I realize alot of people are rather being callous(me included) in their responses to people who are trying to test crafting and harvesting.

Unfortunately, what has happened is you have people in pre alpha test people extremely experienced on archetypes did their harvesting/crafting full 2-3 weeks ago and is out for blood, sometimes against each other in scrims, or against other guilds.

Theres some that go out of their way to pick on people, but this generally so that they dont have to go harvesting anymore themselves, its a type of....harvesting in its own way.

The issue is theres no banks or anywhere to store items and everything breaks on 2-3 deaths.

It is what it is guys, you may just have to test something beside harvesting/crafting until the next revision puts those storage things in too the game. Or find a group, hang out with a guild, you dont have to make a commitment, just send any one of the guild leaders a message on the forums and ask to roll with them.

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

yes I agree, that sucks.

I've suggested to the guild against this sort of thing as find no value or merit in it personally, but it is not something I can or will dictate to all members.

I would like to add that for the majority of the testing window that Caldera was:

• peacefully harvesting and crafting
  • literally killing people and putting stacks of gold and other goodies in their bag
  • arranging for internal guild group versus group fights and activities

However yes there was a period where a 5 group was roaming around after the end of a guild event (after giving warning in general chat) hunting people.

While I personally spent a good chunk of my time when not in a guild event:

• running around as a solo player looking for duels
  • or even happily jumping into 1v2 or greater odds.
  • I rarely looted unless I saw them looting someone else
  • would often not attack random players, even group with them or help them harvest and defend them from other attackers

Code of conduct is always going to vary by the player and just the general mood - not everyone wants to happily dance around hitting nodes ALL weekend :)

(and you know....non guild groups do this sort of thing as well!)

Thanks, Tinnis :) Love you and your site :)

I don't mind PvP at all, we knew this game is gonna be harsh :P And on live game I will completely understand killing and looting someone in any circumstances. Why I am so offended by this case is that it was while loading into game, so no awareness of what's happening, no chance to flee and so on plus the fact that it's a test.

By the way, if you want to arrange some group PvP events, contact makkon, we need training! :P

Edited by sedside

Lol, Vectious even leaves his victims little apology notes with his bag-o-gifts. Quite the kissing bandit. You can get rich being PKd by that guy.

I tend to go the opposite direction, especially if they have food.

I will be honest. There has been times i have killed a guy twice, just to leave stuff on him the second time because he didint have any stuff on him the first time.

But you just cant throw tons of random stuff, you have to meter out the goods to all the good noobs out there.

CfWBSig.png