Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maybach

Stealth - Must Have.

stealth is aids in a pvp game. Its a mechanic that actively makes players avoid each other rather than confront each other.

Not if they provide the proper detection choices to spot the sneaks.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

This is something that would make support classes shine.   They could be the sniffer.

edit: grammer

I think something along the lines of the scout in SB (if I understand that class correctly).

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Not if they provide the proper detection choices to spot the sneaks.

Lets take lessons from shadowbane when everyone was either a scout or a thief and if you wernt one, you couldnt interact with 90% of the players in a zone. If you want stealth, hide behind a tree.

Edited by byrr

Lets take lessons from shadowbane when everyone was either a scout or a thief and if you wernt one, you couldnt interact with 90% of the players in a zone.

Limit stealth's effectiveness, or let a person stack it by sacrificing their combat abilities if they want to stay hidden.  Then, let everyone have a certain degree of stealth detection if say a "wisdom score" or whatever character building function is high enough.  I'm just saying there are plenty of ways to make it viable without making stealth the ONLY viable option.

whether you make it the only viable option or not, you still force any player not with a group to build to see it which limits their possibilities everywhere else. Stealth is just a bad mechanic and this is coming from someone who spent more time on a thief in shadowbane than just about anyone else. This is all a road weve travelled before and seen the results of.

Edited by byrr

Lets take lessons from shadowbane when everyone was either a scout or a thief and if you wernt one, you couldnt interact with 90% of the players in a zone. If you want stealth, hide behind a tree.

Point taken.  But the stealth ability could be given to every class.

Let's also include camouflage.   For hiding, you can't have a name bar over your head.

And remember that worlds have different rulesets...on some worlds stealth and camouflage might not work at all.

Edited by Maybach

if every class has stealth, why have it at all? Its only purpose at that point is to avoid other players which should be a no no in a pvp game.

strategy.   Avoidance is just as much a part of pvp as fighting in my experience.

This is the most correct statement you will find on stealthers in SB. IF.. IF.. IF you have stealth, make it so the stealth is a short time < 30 seconds > or you have MULTIPLE classes who can detect it.

"tell the world that it is the will of the gods that my Rome be head of all the world."

I think stealth could work and given the fact that the devs behind CF were also the ones behind SB then I think they have a pretty good idea what went on back then. So maybe they will have a more interesting method of using it now that it's been so many years. I think stealth is a mechanic that should be somewhere, some people like playing the sneaky backstabber. It may not even be through a skill but just through how you play in the environment like. You have to slow your movement speed, you need to stick to shadowed areas (or hopefully night time and it'll be nice and dark). Maybe it doesn't make you completely invisible more like likely to blend into your surroundings and thus people won't see you as easily but if you do any sort of abrupt movements, well the cat is out of the bag.

Between dreams and reality.

Lantern Watch

strategy.   Avoidance is just as much a part of pvp as fighting in my experience.

you shouldnt need stealth for any of the examples of this youve provided especially as games load players/objects from further and further away.

Edited by byrr

I agree! Stealth should be present, it offers different encounters in which one can be ambushed, or one can evade a gank squad, infiltrate an enemy encampment, etc with that said...

Stealth needs to be something that 1) few, squishy archetypes can utilize to any effect and 2) can be countered via things like the Bounty Hunter discipline or "Witch sight", etc. One should have to sacrifice something to use it and likewise sacrifice something to counter it.

Look at Elder Scrolls Online, literally everyone runs around sneaking, doesn't matter if you're an Orc Dragon Knight or a Wood Elf Nightblade, while there is varying degrees of effectiveness, everyone still skulks around open plains on the map like they're wearing a full diaper, trying to keep their stealth icon up. This is dumb.

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg

Since we know there is no 'Hard Targeting' then maybe user-created 'stealth' can be an option.

I don't mean going invisible - simply (as Byrr put it) hiding behind trees or rocks or over a hill.

With the 3rd person view it's easy to do this and still get a view of what's going on.  Perhaps skilled players will still be able to ambush others.  Scouting will still be important, we saw that in GW2.

The enemy will still need finding - their movement's tracked etc.

12Oe7ot.png

If there is stealth then you pretty much have to play a stealth character unless you are rolling deep, sb pretty much proves that. I would like stealth that just gets rid of the name over your head, so you could try and sneak around through the terrain without being seen from 10 miles away because of a giant red mark. So you are not invisible but if you are clever enough to sneak up on someone then good for you.

I think something along the lines of the scout in SB (if I understand that class correctly).

From your comment it sounds like you only want Revealers to be of the "scout concept", right?

I am fine with stealth if every type of class has the opportunity ( whether it be a skill pick or w/e) to be a Revealer.

I heard SB had something called "Witch Sight", which is perfect for a caster who wants to reveal for example.

I just don't want the reveal mechanics being limited to only scout like characters.

If its not done this way then I would say keep stealth out of the game. Its just a class/skill that scurbs resort to so they can pick easy fights and/or kills. :rolleyes:

Edited by vVe

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I like part of the way Black Desert did it. You used the environment to help hide. You could crouch so you could hide behind trees and rocks. Added to that you could go prone. Hide in the bushes or tall grass. Imagine a group of bandits hiding in bushes and in the tall grass and popping up around a caravan. You don't need a simple Stealth Ability to just press to go invisible. You need to use your surroundings and be smart and strategic about it.