Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maybach

Stealth - Must Have.

I enjoy stealthy characters. Unfortunately it is almost always a means to backstab or attack someone without any warning, resulting in fairly unbalanced fights. Any attempt to balance it (low HP/Armor, timers, etc) are usually worked around or countered with items/skills that result in glass cannons that sway heavy on the cannon side.

I'd prefer it to be more for non-combat activities like scouting, gaining intel, getting in/out of hostile structures/land, climbing walls, sabotaging enemy siege/supplies, etc. Not a means to wait forever for someone to walk by to pop out and kill them before they hear a blade drawn. Not to say it can't help, but not where it results in a one trick pony.

Any aggressive behavior = no camo/stealth for 15+ sec (no ninja vanishing over and over in combat), have to stand motionless for at least 1+ sec to activate, greatly impacts movement speed and or moving drains resources, collision with enemies removes it, lasts ~30 then 5-10+ sec refresh timer.

The less non-combat it becomes, the less need to balance hp/armor/dmg/skills around it becomes. More of a tool to utilize and not a "Win" button. Could still use it for the initial attack, but there could be a lot more to make the character interesting then one feature. Having ways to detect or uncover hidden players would be good as well, but not to the point that it makes it useless. 

Not quoting the wall of text above me but where did you get the idea that there wont be different classes?

Didn't say there wouldn't be different class, just that abilities wouldn't be tied to a class (mean Archetypes obviously). They label the game as a skill based progression game, progression not based on levels but by getting better at X by using it, says so in the FAQ.

Just like they've said the advanced crafting will be done with dedicated crafting specializations, they also said everyone starts with the same basic crafting ability and gets better by using it, learning new recipes and eventually taking specializations for it.

My assumption is they do this with most of the skills as well to stick close to UO and SWG in their skill progression (both games the devs were a part of).

So while it's not certain, it'd be a bit strange to restrict skills too much in a system like that, specially skills that make sense for a large group of types to have.

Could get more in depth in my thoughts on it but it'd be more walls of text, so to just sum it up I think of the Archetypes more as starting templates that you can then skill up however you want, which would very likely mean stealth if not given to many, would at least be a lot more common compared to other pure class/level based games where it was just the 1 class.

Just remove names and health bars over people's heads. A crouch ability would be nice.

Maybe a ability that allows you to mimic something from the environment. Think prop hunt.

Any kind of invisibility that lasts for a extended period of time would be extremely strong.

I enjoy stealthy characters. Unfortunately it is almost always a means to backstab or attack someone without any warning, resulting in fairly unbalanced fights. Any attempt to balance it (low HP/Armor, timers, etc) are usually worked around or countered with items/skills that result in glass cannons that sway heavy on the cannon side.

I'd prefer it to be more for non-combat activities like scouting, gaining intel, getting in/out of hostile structures/land, climbing walls, sabotaging enemy siege/supplies, etc. Not a means to wait forever for someone to walk by to pop out and kill them before they hear a blade drawn. Not to say it can't help, but not where it results in a one trick pony.

Any aggressive behavior = no camo/stealth for 15+ sec (no ninja vanishing over and over in combat), have to stand motionless for at least 1+ sec to activate, greatly impacts movement speed and or moving drains resources, collision with enemies removes it, lasts ~30 then 5-10+ sec refresh timer.

The less non-combat it becomes, the less need to balance hp/armor/dmg/skills around it becomes. More of a tool to utilize and not a "Win" button. Could still use it for the initial attack, but there could be a lot more to make the character interesting then one feature. Having ways to detect or uncover hidden players would be good as well, but not to the point that it makes it useless. 

Basically stealth needs to be a tool in the box instead of nearly the entire box by itself. On of my favorite stealth character I played was a Kobold spear/beast/stealth spec Hunter in DAOC where the usual concensus was go bow or go home, so more than I few times I reverse ambushed Infiltrators and Nightshades whom expected the usual easy gank of a bow Hunter....not realizing I *wanted* them to close to melee with me.

I didn't get the huge multipliers they did but my damage output was not stealth dependant, and I could see them coming in time to spoil *their* multiplier, plus I had self buffs and a decent pet to whip out when I needed to. I could give most classes short of true tanks a decent fight without having to start off taking them to half HP before they knew I was there. When I won, I bet it was a better experience for them than the usual *backstab* *crit crit* *dead* since I was not stealth gank centric to the same degree the assassin classes were.

Edited by Overkilengine

Stealth is the only way the solo player can compete with the guild.

Stealth HAS to be in this game.

It was in Ultimate Online...

It was in Shadowbane...

It better be in CrowFall!

dulpoa76627.png

Stealth is the only way the solo player can compete with the guild.

Stealth HAS to be in this game.

It was in Ultimate Online...

It was in Shadowbane...

It better be in CrowFall!

To many games don't check it though they just throw it in game. I don't want that.

If Crowfall is going to have stealth, it needs to be checked and balanced, as in have counters etc. 

Edited by vVe

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I think Starcraft 2/Heroes of the Storm invisibilty is good(There is no full invisibilty, you blur/distort the enviroment), It allows everyone to see someone and try to get him out of stealth mode by hitting around the distort image.

With this system the hidden person needs to be aware, he might be really less visible, and in a massive fight he will be able to sneak over the enemies because of the chaos, but in low number fight he will be less effective since once people look the blur they can try to reveal him and force him to fight.

EDIT: video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYuKqMo-Ug

you can see there that when the character is not moving, he is hard to see(you can still collide with him) but when he is moving you can follow him well enough.

Edited by reider

I think a stealth system that is in kind with the one found in Blackdesert would be best. No invisibility but the ability to take away name plates and all easily spotted identifiers while crouched. This leaves it up to the players to not be seen, hiding in bushes, thick forest, or even up above a road on a high cliff. Invisibility is a hard thing to balance even with counter measures to it, and that's been proven by many games and the many iterations of a stealth system.

Edited by gier1007

^

|

|

|

|

Well, the best proposition

By the way, can i play this game now, or i need to wait ~18 days?

Edited by Realen

I think a stealth system that is in kind with the one found in Blackdesert would be best. No invisibility but the ability to take away name plates and all easily spotted identifiers while crouched. This leaves it up to the players to not be seen, hiding in bushes, thick forest, or even up above a road on a high cliff. Invisibility is a hard thing to balance even with counter measures to it, and that's been proven by many games and the many iterations of a stealth system.

Yeaah except this doesn't work, at all. You know, because people like I who play with lap tops and sucky graphics can see you in those "fancy" bushes miles away, giving me a major advantage in detection of stealth over 90% of the playerbase. Try to balance that.

Just have traditional stealth that allows keen eyes of PLAYERS (not their characters) detect them (so not 100% invisibility) also allow enough counter tools (detect invisibility, track, dispel invisible etc). and its in balance.

Planetside 2 has a rather decent stealth system; you can't see cloacked enemies at a distance or when standing still (bar with thermal scopes) but if one moved past you, you could easily spot the blur. I myself would rather see a cover-like based stealth system (which promotes player skill), but I'd be fine with a system like in PS2. 

Edited by Hendaron

Shouldn't this be posted under suggestions?

Regarding stealth, stealth in a mmo is a very powerful ability and I think it needs to be correctly balanced. How, I leave to the dev's. But having stealth should require you to give up on something else.

Some ideas for stealth/hiding;

A rune that allows the wearer to always see stealthed/hidden targets.

(Granted from character creation or from mob drop/loot)

An archetype that can see stealthed/hidden targets.

A tracking rune/skill.

(Allows the user to see stealthed/hidden targets.

Or, gives an arrow pointing/or/following the stealthed/hidden player [shadowbane].

Or, gives the user heat vision which shows footprints on the ground of where the stealthed/hidden player is or has been walking, but not actually displaying the hidden character, so you do not know what archetype they are until they are revealed)

A reveal spell/skill

(A large flash that reveals any stealthed/hidden target and puts on 'sunburn scar' which makes their skin glow)

I'm in full favor of using the terrain/surroundings to 'hide', no in-game skills required. 'Abusing' 3rd person to view over objects or around corners to see your enemies. But if stealth/hiding is to be implemented, it must have some drawbacks. Slowed movement speed, less action points overall, scout skills only (non combat skills), etc.

The main reasons I want stealth to be implemented is because stealing generally goes hand in hand with stealth/hiding/deception type abilities and stealing is A MUST in my book.

~ the one and only ~

Stealth could be done so many ways...Time will tell us which one they chose.

RoleIcon_Lrg_Sp_Stealth.png

I hope that we can use time to our advantage and give them some ideas on how it will be created

~ the one and only ~

I rather much be able to use the environment to hide, having bushes long grass all this envirmental thing can help in battle if used correclty which is a greataspect in gameplay :) Darkfall had a system like this aswell which was nice.

Only thing is u wont realy be able to have player names above there head like in original MMO's darkfall only revealed player names when moused over so you didnt need to worry bout name plate revealing ur location.

Veeshan Midst of UXA