Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vucar

Crowfall: A New Hope

Up until very recently, I'd been pretty vocal about my disappointment with the direction of combat that I had seen Crowfall going down. Particularly earlier this year. After a while, I and many others just got tired of arguing our points, we got tired of watching Scarecrowfall videos and more or less gave up and stopped posting.

I've been quietly watching these last few days and, much to my surprise, saw the abrupt and quiet return of split-body motion and combat with much delight. 

Combat looks so much better now.

I can feel the combat from watching others, like the way i used to feel combat when i watched Darkfall pvp videos. Suddenly im actually interested in seeing how the different archetypes make use of their newfound freedom of movement in sync with their abilities.

I had all but given up on this game until this most recent return of split-body combat and the return of fluid action combat, and I know i'm not the only one that is ecstatic for its return. 

I can't overstate how much this one change saved the direction of Crowfalls combat in the eyes of many Darkfall veterans that had the same complaints i had. I'm even willing to overlook the friendly-fire topic in favor of this change.

Very excited to return to following the games development. Cheers.

aka honeybear

You must commend them for making this change, but they still have a game to make, and to be fully honest about it, this change should have happened many many months ago. 

I keep going back to an idea that I think JTC once conveyed, where they have to move on from things that don't work quickly, because they don't really have the wiggle room to be inefficient.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

To be fair it is not split-body motion it is the same thing as before but better. So you guys should apologize to ACE, because those guys stood strong to their ideas even with all the complaining....

EDIT:

Yeah, patch notes were confusing.

- They aren't technically split body, they are full body animations, but

- They are designed to allow for full character movement in all directions using WASD and separate from targeting.  And,

- They don't automatically 'move' or 'push' your character anywhere (i.e. they generally don't have root motion, or lock you in place.)

There are a few exceptions (hence the word 'generally' above), but these are only done where it makes sense.  A 'charge' power (like Knight's charge or Myrm's bull rush) moves you forward, because it seems like it should.  You can steer while this happens.  Likewise the Myrm's net-throwing power doesn't move you (for a very brief moment) because the purpose is generally to move you to the target or vice versa, and we need to stationary to do that without throwing you across the world in some crazy direction.

In these cases, we only put this stuff in where it felt natural.  The marching orders were: make it fluid and free wherever possible.

Guinecean and Knight are next.

Todd

ACE

Edited by BarriaKarl

Up until very recently, I'd been pretty vocal about my disappointment with the direction of combat that I had seen Crowfall going down. Particularly earlier this year. After a while, I and many others just got tired of arguing our points, we got tired of watching Scarecrowfall videos and more or less gave up and stopped posting.

I've been quietly watching these last few days and, much to my surprise, saw the abrupt and quiet return of split-body motion and combat with much delight. 

You don't have to thank me mang, it's okay :D.

In all seriousness, the devs dun did good here. I'd say we're 80% of the way there.

its great to see both old and new players alike buzzing with positive energy from both big world and movement changes

p.s.

obligatory silly image

eSWXyjS.png

You always feel the need to out-photoshop my post, don't you? :P

I can feel the combat from watching others, like the way i used to feel combat when i watched Darkfall pvp videos. Suddenly im actually interested in seeing how the different archetypes make use of their newfound freedom of movement in sync with their abilities.

I had all but given up on this game until this most recent return of split-body combat and the return of fluid action combat, and I know i'm not the only one that is ecstatic for its return. 

I can't overstate how much this one change saved the direction of Crowfalls combat in the eyes of many Darkfall veterans that had the same complaints i had. I'm even willing to overlook the friendly-fire topic in favor of this change.

Very excited to return to following the games development. Cheers.

"Be the River, not the Rock." 

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin