Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kraahk

Worlds Parcels - Comparison and Overview

Content:

1. Posting 1 (this one): Content, Foreword, Basic Informations for new players, list of numbers of supported players per stronghold parcel type, picture of full BigWorld 3.3-3.5 Map (spoilered), most important stronghold parcels
  2. Posting 2: Picture of BigWorld 3.3 to 3.5, compared to maximum basic map/EK size (spoilered)
  3. Posting 3: All existing parcels with pictures and descriptions, as of BigWorld testing build 3.3-3.5.
  4. Posting 4: The new canyon parcel in BigWorld 3.7, as of 2016.12.12
  5. Thread: Mountain Parcel - New details as of May 2017

Also visit my Stronghold Comparison if you like to, now including the number of wall parts you will get for your stronghold packages during the 3.8 tests.

Foreword

A while ago i made a Stronghold Comparison to show and discuss how big Strongholds will be in Crowfall. Though mostly based on rough estimations and a lot of calculations, the numbers turned out to be pretty good.

Now, with the opportunity to take measures within the BigWorld test environment, the possibilities of calculations rose as much as the curiosity how the dimensions of parcels will feel and how the world will look like finally.

In this thread i will try to juxtapose parcels that we have seen seperated and from a bird's-eye perspective (like concept arts) or mixed up and from a worm's-eye view (like in the BigWorld test).

Please note that those are NOT the real things. Based on given informations, these 3D parcel pictures are roughly self-made emulations, so they won't be perfect. But they should be good enough to give a general idea.

After some basic informations for newcomers, i will start with the most important stronghold parcels and show you how they look like, compared with each other and the actual BW 3.4 test environment, and will add new informations and pictures from time to time.

Have fun, good luck

Kraahk

Basic informations

For those who are not into geomancy, some basic informations.

• Parcels are the modules our worlds are made of. Each parcel contains one or more quadratic cells with a side-legth of 256 meter each.
  • Crowfall uses basic maps with a scope of 20x20 cells. In the case of Campaigns, several procedurally compiled basic maps will be stitched together to build the whole world. In case of Eternal Kingdoms, players will have the opportunity to build their very own kingdom (they way they want to) within the frame of one basic map.
  • Parcels and Strongholds can be bought in the shop. They can also be build out of ingame materials (if the necessary skills are trained - like stone masonry or geomancy) or shared or traded with other players in game.
  • Parcels can be placed in other players kingdoms. Placing a parcel somewhere else doesn't change the ownerships. The same is true for building components like walls. So people can work together, without fear to loose something.

Parcels and Strongholds support different number of players/shops, mostly depending on the parcel type and rank. The numbers show the estimated support provided by the basic version of this kind of parcel.

7Dcfmx0.jpg

From Shire to Province - an overview

We have seen a lot of pictures and we ran more or less frenetically through the BigWorld. But we haven't seen the parcels side by side yet. In this picture you can see the most important parcel types, including their names and supported player base. Where known, i also added the related strongholds, roughly true to scale.

E6cDSWC.jpg

Parcels compared to the world

It is nice to know how big parcels are if compared to others. But how big is this in game? To say: How will it feel? To answer this questions, we need something to compare an ingame feeling of scope with those dry pictures above. Since we have BigWorld testing, we can do that.

The following picture shows the big stronghold parcels side by side with the explorable BigWorld environment of the 3.4 Test. The Palace parcel (province 3) would swallow the whole swamp area + 2 Shire parcels + 2 Estate parcels. To see more ingame maps of the 3.x tests, you can visit my Crowfall Maps thread.

JZ63V5F.jpg

edit 161119: content summary added (including later postings)

edit 170425: Time goes by. Adjusted some things, added some links.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

The parcels look big enough to support multiple structures. I wonder how many, and of what type, each parcel can support. It looks like those apparently "decorative" rock formations in each parcel are trying to tell us something? I also wonder if you can add to the buildable space by attaching single celled parcels. So many questions!

Edited by Mytherceria

So the 3.4 map was all the parcels put together that's in the picture? so close to 4k by 4k

3.4 was...

... exactely as shown in the framed area of the spoilered picture above (you can actually use it for orientation i they don't change the build), which gives it 61 cells (not including the big parcel that were put behind the frame). With 400 cells beeing a basic map, 3.4 is only 15% of a basic map / EK.

Here is a direct comparison of the BW 3.4 build and the scope of a basic map/EK. You see, there will be lot more place to run around in the final EK's and even more in the campaigns.

wOnn4Ps.jpg

3.4 was probably made of 20 parcels.

• two 7-cell mountain parcels
  • one 6-cell city parcel
  • two 4-cell lake parcels
  • two 3-cell swamp parcels
  • five 3-cell hill parcels
  • two 2-cell hamlet parcels
  • six 1-cell hillock parcels

The parcels look big enough to support multiple structures. I wonder how many, and of what type, each parcel can support. It looks like those apparently "decorative" rock formations in each parcel are trying to tell us something? I also wonder if you can add to the buildable space by attaching single celled parcels. So many questions!

It has been said that the individual parcels might have some kind of weight limitation to control what and how much you can build on it.

The "hills" are set in a way to enable us to build individually. Or to say: Their parcel creation approach tries to avoid a situation where a stronghold only makes sense in one place and one structural design. Jon spoke about it in his stream. They are not there to tell us something, but to give us additional design opportunities.

As far as we know up to now, there will be no buildings space attachements. We know that we very likely won't be able to build structures beyond parcel borders (i think this was in the last AMA). Maybe there will be parcels that extend the weight maximum for adjacent stronghold cells, just like farmland parcels reduce the maintenance cost. Possible? Yes. Probable? I don't know. Maybe someone will make such a suggestions, once we get more informations about the building system.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

It has been said that the individual parcels might have some kind of weight limitation to control what and how much you can build on it.

The "hills" are set in a way to enable us to build individually. Or to say: Their parcel creation approach tries to avoid a situation where a stronghold only makes sense in one place and one structural design. Jon spoke about it in his stream. They are not there to tell us something, but to give us additional design opportunities.

As far as we know up to now, there will be no buildings space attachements. We know that we very likely won't be able to build structures beyond parcel borders (i think this was in the last AMA). Maybe there will be parcels that extend the weight maximum for adjacent stronghold cells, just like farmland parcels reduce the maintenance cost. Possible? Yes. Probable? I don't know. Maybe someone will make such a suggestions, once we get more informations about the building system.

Hm. It's sort of disappointing that you can't build over parcel borders but as long as structures can be freely built within the parcels (depending on the weight limit) and not just in specific locations, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't want to cram so many structures per parcel that it looks crowded but I don't want there to be too much wasted space either.

First: Thanks for all your kind feedback, i appreciate that.

But it's no great thing. I am selfish and impatient and (depends) sometimes more or less a perfectionist. So primarily i gathered and compiled these informations (and results) for myself (and maybe friends). I just decided to share some of the informations at some point. That's all. Really no big deal.

But nevertheless it is a good thing if you find it helpful. In the end we are one community, trying to help each other to help the game, aren't we? :)

With this in mind i present the next chapter of this topic, hoping you may find it useful:

The actual parcels of BigWorld (up to 3.5)

On the left side you will see the Kraahk-Constructs (please remember, they are rough rebuilds and not perfect!) like they have been used in the spoilered map in the OP.

On the right side you will see ingame pictures or released parcel concepts.

First ones with indicators that show the point of view of the last ones.

Finally i will describe some facts of these parcels.

Knowing these details should help people to understand which parcels exist and enable people to create their own maps a lot faster. Hopefully. ;) Nuff said. Here it is. Click the picture to enlarge it. ;)

hbDxBT8.jpg

Mountain (7-cell)

This serpentine 7-cell parcel is made of three major mountain ranges (up to 210 meters high) which meet in joint high valleys where they meet each other.
These parcels are perfect place to hide. For example the end of the world, high tier resources or helpless crafters.
If you meet a very very high mountain range, this is it. The 3-cell long straight border on one side helps a lot to identify the right parcel direction for mapping, without having to run around the whole damn 3.6 kilometers of it's borders.

City parcel (6-cell)

This big 6-cell parcel is dominated by two large tablelands that reach a height up to nearly 30m. One of them based on a top circle with a diameter of about 60m plus adjacent slightly lower grounds that makes the whole structure oval. And the other one more or öess rectangular with an inner cross of  nearly 250m and 400m.  Two smaller mounds (opposite to the circle) build some kind of passageway between them. A perfect place for strongholds and houses.
So if you find a village or a stronghold and really spacious plateaus, you likely will have found the city parcel. At the time of this posting (BW 3.1 to 3.5) this parcel also includes a keep on top of the rectangular tableland.

Swamp parcel (2-6 cells)

This parcel(s) is either a set of 2 different 1-cell parcels, two equal 3-cell parcels or one 6-cell parcel. I haven't checked it in detail, but i guess it is one big parcel.
The swamp is very easy to identify. It's ground altitude is about 7-15 m higher than most other parcels and really break the landscape. And the swamps grounds are reddish brown and very uneven with a lot of sinks. Half of it's single cells contain water in it's sinks. The other half doesn't. If you find water, then you are in the center.
Just like the mountains, the swamps are good hiding places. Be it for high tier resources or small archetypes that hide in the basins.

The lake

This 4-cell square parcel has a medium lake in it's center, surrounded by two hills with a height up to 25 meter.  Two main streams leave (or lead into) the lake and end (or start) in two smaller lakes, one of them with a small isle.
If you see a stream or a lake, you found this parcel.

The hills

This 3-cell parcel contains several different kinds of small hills. In a clockwise order the first cell contains a wide but not so high conical rise. The highest hill in this trio (about 20m) is the very uneven one in the second cell. Depending on your point of view, one of it's sides looks very v-shaped. And the third parcel has three very small hillocks - obviously man-made spots to place small watch towers.

The hamlet

This 2-cell parcel is the third smallest stronghold parcel available in the shop. And besides the city parcel the only one that contained roads in BW 3.1-3.5. Just like the city it has two main tablelands to place strongholds on it, but they are a lot smaller. If you find roads but no large plateaus, you've likely found the hamlet.   

The hillock

The momentarily smallest parcel in the row is the 1-cell hillock. It only contains one very uneven and not very high rise with a little sink in it's middle. A place that animals seem to like, because sometimes you can find their lairs there. If you run on very uneven grounds and maybe even find a little sink in the middle, then you are at the right place. Often used to fill gaps between larger parcels. So you'll find it quite often.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

New in 3.7:

The canyon parcel

The newest cousin in the parcel family has been named canyon parcel. Born on 3.7 this splendid fellow measures 5 cells of finest rocks and rugged pathways.

You can easily determine the direction of this parcel by looking at one of the two "official" entrances. In case of the 3.7 map, you will recognize the northern entrance by a more or less single opening followed by one bigger and two smaller hills. The southern entrance on the other hand is characterized by a very small passageway plus a pretty large entrance area nearby.

Within the canyon you will find several passages between the rocks. Though the usual heights are about 20-30 meters, you will finde some peaks about 60 metes high -- perfect lookout points. Regarding the fact, that there are only a few opportunities to climb the plateaus and that the canyon is filled with some very precious resources, this parcel makes a great point of interest in the actual build.

If you see some differences between my pictures and the very small one shown in the ACE map, don't loose you faith. The following parcels have been rebuilt by myself, based on my own ingame researches, so they won't be perfect. But they should give you a very good idea how this parcel looks like in game and help you a lot to navigate trhough this quite big and pretty entwined parcel (and a lot more than the official picture, i would like to add *cough* xD ).

Enough talking, here it is.

IDK6XP8.gif

otJN437.gif

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Canyon looks cool havant seen it in game though :(

I relay want to be able to build like a bridge to one of the middle pillars then build a little watch tower or something on it :D would be cool if we could do that :D

Would also be cool if this was close enough to a guild city or faction city players in that guild could build little fortifications/bridges on lands like this to make a shortcut or little fort/lookout they can use to protect there territory. Of course it could be destroyable too but not easily since building these things wouldnt be to easy and should require the same amount of resources and things to destroy that it takes to build.

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA