Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mandalore

Ranged Getting Screwed?

It's one thing to tactically kite, and another to just jog around while firing like a friggin' tank on treads.

Also, maybe you should only be able to aim so far to the left/right while in the bow-aiming position? So we don't just have 50 people jogging around with their bows out, spinning 360 degrees whenever they feel like it (with arrows nocked), firing wherever. I don't mean to make combat clunky, but there's really no need to be able to accurately fire an arrow milliseconds after spinning around at any given point in time.

I want ranged attacks to maintain their understandable advantage over melee, but not just be the always-better route.

My hope is that there is some fine gradient adjustment to movement speed depending on the attack, whether melee or ranged, instead of the usual implemenations of either full rooting (clunky) or no rooting (allows latency jousting too much). Basically, the more powerful the attack, the slower you move/pivot while animating it- you can still move and redirect the attack, but someone choosing a lighter attack has a better chance of dancing around you. Preferably the overall combat pace is fast enough to keep interest but allows enough choices so that someone from AUS can fight against an EU player and not be auto-boned.

My 2 cents.

I would be fine with Wildstar styled combat. But, I'd like it more if it showed your own cones, but not your opponent's. Using particle effects to show your opponent's attacks rather than cones on the ground, while giving your own attacks cones that only you can see so you can properly range your own skills.

I would be ok with Darkfall super accurate ranged attacks, but then you'd have to be able to have ungodly range, and I'd be worried about trying to hit tiny, moving targets from great range. 

If I had to choose between the above two, i'd choose the former.  It would lead to a better meta of the more knowledgeable and aware player coming out on top rather than just trying not to 'stand in the hot lava'.

High risk, high reward. Make them hard to aim but make them cause serious damage. It's perfectly balanceable.

In Darkfall (I know way too many of my posts start with "in Darkfall", but bear with me), archers and long distance mages were not only viable, but 90% of players were mages due to the character system design, and there weren't that many complaints.

You just have to aim.

That sounds awful. If 90% of the playerbase only played one class, then that's a failure of the game's design. What you just described is the very definition of unbalanced.

That sounds awful. If 90% of the playerbase only played one class, then that's a failure of the game's design. What you just described is the very definition of unbalanced.

It's the very definition of balanced, because everyone can do everything. When 2 max'ed characters fought, it was only the player's skill that determined the winner. (ping, fps etc ignored)

I'm not saying, that no skill caps was a good choice though... many people quit because of the grind.

^ I believe he means "balanced" between the options available to the player, rather than balanced in a competitive nature. In other words, if not-being a mage was balanced against being a mage, then why the disparity between the options (90% mages, 10% non-mages)?

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.