Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mandalore

Ranged Getting Screwed?

You are missing the point though: There will be NO TARGET LOCK in Crowfall at all, GW2 has TARGET LOCK, Darkfall does not. Also you can not in Crowfall or in Darkfall hit the TAB key and get a target in GW2 you can.

This is a silly debate. No one is talking about the tab targeting in GW2. I am talking about all the abilities that aren't tab target that are in GW2. There is no crosshair aiming in Crowfall like there is in Darkfall. Comparing the two is far more ridiculous than comparing Crowfall to GW2.

Edited by frozenshadow

You are missing the point though: There will be NO TARGET LOCK in Crowfall at all, GW2 has TARGET LOCK, Darkfall does not. Also you can not in Crowfall or in Darkfall hit the TAB key and get a target in GW2 you can.

Hmmm, you know...I reread the combat FAQ. Remember, devs like to play word games sometimes...It doesn't say that there won't be Target Locks ( in this case for Ranged). It only talks about melee and no hard targets and the cones,triangle, sphere, etc. 

I saw gameplay footage for Darkfall and it looked crazy and intense. 

We don't know if they have a different system for Ranged. Probably not. But we don't know. It's pretty vague...on purpose I bet.

Hmmm, you know...I reread the combat FAQ. Remember, devs like to play word games sometimes...It doesn't say that there won't be Target Locks ( in this case for Ranged). It only talks about melee and no hard targets and the cones,triangle, sphere, etc. 

I saw gameplay footage for Darkfall and it looked crazy and intense. 

We don't know if they have a different system for Ranged. Probably not. But we don't know. It's pretty vague...on purpose I bet.

why would they go for "free aim" melee and lockon ranged?

makes absolutely zero sense

^I really like this style of combat, hopefully Crowfall uses something like this.

^This

^ I'm with these guys  ^

I like Wildstar's combat over Darkfall myself.

Edited by vVe

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

why would they go for "free aim" melee and lockon ranged?

makes absolutely zero sense

Especially since Ranged with a bow is usually classed as melee for coding purposes on type of damage.

OK that explains dmg, how will buffs and the few heals know which ally to target?  I personally don't care how range damage will work as I play debuffers or thieves by preference, it will be a devastating skill cap though for those few who try to stick it out for ranged against a much easier to play burst dmg melee or brute.

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Not sure where people are getting Darkfall/Skyrim information from. The FAQ specifically says combat will be in the form of cones, rectangles, and spheres. Guild Wars 2 has quite a lot of abilities like these.

Some Darkfall spells were also cones, some were aoe, some where spheres.

To quote a guy from my home forum

"Combat sounds a lot like WildStar which was not that good. BG's were a cluster**** of spammed abilities.

Melee is always a chore in free swing games, too. No healing means there is little reason to not be ranged. Skeptical gamer is skeptical."

That is exactly how I feel. I was super hyped about Crowfall because it really seemed like the developers wanted to go back to oldschool PvP with tab targeting and classic archetypes.

Sadly with this reveal, it seems like they want more action/twitchy gameplay ala GW2/Wildstar, which we all know were huge failures.

Before this announcement, I was on a 10/10 hype level. Today I am only on a 6/10 hype level.

7ug90hM.png

That is exactly how I feel. I was super hyped about Crowfall because it really seemed like the developers wanted to go back to oldschool PvP with tab targeting and classic archetypes.

Sadly with this reveal, it seems like they want more action/twitchy gameplay ala GW2/Wildstar, which we all know were huge failures.

Before this announcement, I was on a 10/10 hype level. Today I am only on a 6/10 hype level.

That's exactly how I feel, the action orientated mmos games have all been monumental failures in my eyes.  How effective can ranged char be when every single ability is a shaped skill shot?

Edited by mandalore

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

This is a silly debate. No one is talking about the tab targeting in GW2. I am talking about all the abilities that aren't tab target that are in GW2. There is no crosshair aiming in Crowfall like there is in Darkfall. Comparing the two is far more ridiculous than comparing Crowfall to GW2.

I really hope there is a crosshair, otherwise archery is gonna be tough.

Eventually o

That's exactly how I feel, the action orientated mmos games have all been monumental failures in my eyes.  How effective can ranged char be when every single ability is a shaped skill shot?

^+1

I really hope there is a crosshair, otherwise archery is gonna be tough.

It will eventually cease to exist too, only the truely stubborn people would play it after months of getting short changed. 

wiDfyPp.png

as effective as the player allows it to be :)

lovely, isn't it?

That's not the case though, how the **** would a mage ever single target down key players in mass combat if every hit can be blocked by somebody else?  It seems silly and poorly thought out, there needs to be an added system to it or as time goes range will be less and less and "The Return of Meatbane" crushes those few casters left.

Edited by mandalore

wiDfyPp.png

Yeah, the combat system they're describing sounds very much like Wildstar (which I like, since the combat system was one of the strongest parts of Wildstar and felt really fun). Ranged characters will either shoot abilities in a narrow beam in front of them (like Wildstar's Spellslinger) or they might be able to mouse-target circular AOE abilities as in GW2.

Edited by recatek

My thoughts on this is Aoe. Any target within your range meaning you would need to position yourself well. Whether this extends to friendly fire on ally's I dunno.

Of course if we have archery and depending on how you build one, I would imagine your range would be extended naturally. 

Just my take on what I'm reading.

288mqgz.png

GW2/Wildstar were far from failures...

Edited by XcomVic
typo

That's not the case though, how the **** would a mage ever single target down key players in mass combat if every hit can be blocked by somebody else?  It seems silly and poorly thought out, there needs to be an added system to it or as time goes range will be less and less and "The Return of Meatbane" crushes those few casters left.

how is that such a huge issue?

maybe it's like that, maybe not.

we don't know a single ability in this game, how CC will work and so on.

why are you so against developing new strategies?