Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keiotyk

Druid game play is tedious

My frustration comes from being unable to do any damage without essence. And that building that essence can be tedious.

Also, I don't like turning health into damage at the best of times - I like it even less on a relatively frail character, and with rather low efficiency. I'd be better just spamming heals for the amount of essence vs. health burnt.

Personally, I find it more logical to build up essence by stealing it first - Vampirically strip the essence from others to heal your team.

I really like how the Druid plays and I think she is a balanced healer. I do agree that the swapping mechanic needs to be instant and more fluid and the current direction (heal to damage) feels backwards. I like your suggestion of her stealing essence to power her heals but I am not sure that is very druid like. The way she is now is more unique (the "do damage to heal" classes have been done before) and I think it works okay, even if it makes her not suited for solo play (she is also not as good at the Lego when it comes to groups but that's another topic).

If you look at the Druid's Witch tree there are two abilities that increases her in and out of combat essence generation. Depending on how much easier it will make generating essence, this is probably intended so she can function more as a solo capable character. I am not sure if this is the best way to do it but it at least gives some clue that this problem was foreseen and something (even if not the best idea) was implemented to try and correct it.

relax guyz. druid is support now. good party support. NOT SOLO

dynamic, strong CC, debuff, alot of heals and utility.

he can still kill most of the archetypes 1v1 just using kite, but now they can kill him too -) even knight

only one archetype is impossible tfor druid - it is lego

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

First of all to answer the OP: depends on what you're fighting, other players or mobs, but there are far more effective ways to build essence than just spamming heals you won't use. You can use the orbs to set up bombs for dps, buff yourself, debuff others, etc.

For me druid and myrm are the most fun to play archetypes at the moment because of the resource management you need to do for both. But druid definitely feels underpowered right now. I can output more damage and heal more on my legio. Only thing druid can do better is escape. 

Also many interesting ideas for the druids here. I totally agree aurora emitter DoT damage needs to be buffed again. Gotta break that meat pain train. That alone would probably make druid more useful in groups again, even if leggo heals were not nerfed. And I also agree the tray swapping could be more responsive as well, maybe tray swapping could be instant and animation cancel whatever you're doing at the moment? That would make it feel snappy.  

First of all to answer the OP: depends on what you're fighting, other players or mobs, but there are far more effective ways to build essence than just spamming heals you won't use. You can use the orbs to set up bombs for dps, buff yourself, debuff others, etc.

For me druid and myrm are the most fun to play archetypes at the moment because of the resource management you need to do for both. But druid definitely feels underpowered right now. I can output more damage and heal more on my legio. Only thing druid can do better is escape. 

Also many interesting ideas for the druids here. I totally agree aurora emitter DoT damage needs to be buffed again. Gotta break that meat pain train. That alone would probably make druid more useful in groups again, even if leggo heals were not nerfed. And I also agree the tray swapping could be more responsive as well, maybe tray swapping could be instant and animation cancel whatever you're doing at the moment? That would make it feel snappy.  

I like the idea of using debuffs as a way to generate essence quickly. I really love having Leeching Seed on the heal tree and it is probably one of my favorite skills. It is a little difficult to use right now because of the short distance, so maybe increasing the distance and upping the essence generation on it could be a good trade off (it is leeching essence, after all). This could allow for slows to be applied easier at the cost of less healing. It would work as a quick way to generate essence and is essentially the vampiric leech idea that was mentioned before.

I do love the slippery nature of Druids and how easily that can escape, so I don't think that should change at all.

I didn't play Druid much when the aurora emitter DoT did more damage but it seems to be a much needed ball disrupter. If the damage is kept low maybe throw in some other sort of CC on it that is annoying enough to keep people mindful of it. Right now it's not even noticeable. 

I really love your suggestion on making the tray swap instant and work as an animation cancel. That's an awesome idea.

Edited by Mytherceria

nope. aurora is ok. mb should get more range.

one thing which should get fixed is 3-th skill. slow, impossible to move while casting, impossible to land hit... usefull only while ppl get massive stuck in one place.

except 2-th skill, druid have no nukes =(

Discord makkon#8550

nope. aurora is ok. mb should get more range.

one thing which should get fixed is 3-th skill. slow, impossible to move while casting, impossible to land hit... usefull only while ppl get massive stuck in one place.

except 2-th skill, druid have no nukes =(

Just to be clear, when I say aurora emitter I don't mean the first 3 steps of the #2 combo. I also think the damage on those is perfectly fine now. I just mean the pulsing AoE damage over time debuff that applies at the end of the chain. The stack buster effect. Used to be 1.5-2k damage, now its 300-500 damage. That's super low. 

I'm not sure what the design goal of the Druid is.

The reveal gave me the impression of a combination of support and damage without gimped damage/support power you would normally expect of a hybrid character. Instead resource has to be generated with life abilities and can be used to deal damage with death abilities.

This would still result in a "half damage - half support" type, but with empower or contain essence you can slightly manipulate that balance and tweak it to your current combat situation.

Maybe the Druid is supposed to be more of a healer than a damage dealer?

In HD/SP, Druid damage was all about the "2" combo and simply too high. For whatever reason they nerfed Gaea's Wail and Spark towards the last iterations, two skills that were barely used anyways.

I would leave the "2" combo as it is in Big World at the moment and try to do something about Spark and Gaea's Wail.

Gaea's has gotten better, but is still clunky and the travelling speed of the projectile feels too slow to me.

Spark is simply a weak ability that I never see used for damage, but since you can use it while running now, it's an even better way to get rid of some essence if needed.

I hope Blair will provide some more infos about archetype balancing in future streams, aside from system designs like crafting and exploration skills. 

Edited by Koerpermilch

If you want to play a ranged attack sorcerer, you should choose the confessor for now. I don't see any sense in making the druid become a confessor. For that's what we would call a confessor, see? The druid just fits into a different role. His/hers. Take it or drop it.

And, just like destrin said, primarily crowfall is a teamplay game. You can play alone, but then you will have to live with the disadvantages. And i don't see any wasted heals, simply nuke you heal orbs and use all your buffs.

However, we are not at the end of the line. The druid will get promotion classes, too. And at least one of them will be focused on the damage tree. So i wouldn't worry too much about that -- even if i would agree.

The druid is a ranged nuke caster for 50% of her gameplay. She doesn't need to be as powerful as the confessor, or play the same either - She does need to be enjoyable to play in this hybrid fashion. I don't feel that solo vs. team play should affect this 'fun to play' view of an archetype.

I really like how the Druid plays and I think she is a balanced healer. I do agree that the swapping mechanic needs to be instant and more fluid and the current direction (heal to damage) feels backwards. I like your suggestion of her stealing essence to power her heals but I am not sure that is very druid like. The way she is now is more unique (the "do damage to heal" classes have been done before) and I think it works okay, even if it makes her not suited for solo play (she is also not as good at the Lego when it comes to groups but that's another topic).

If you look at the Druid's Witch tree there are two abilities that increases her in and out of combat essence generation. Depending on how much easier it will make generating essence, this is probably intended so she can function more as a solo capable character. I am not sure if this is the best way to do it but it at least gives some clue that this problem was foreseen and something (even if not the best idea) was implemented to try and correct it.

Druids historically did blood sacrifices. Computer games made them nature loving hippies. Would an essence stealing druid feel like a druid? I don't know, but I don't think it's not a possibility.

relax guyz. druid is support now. good party support. NOT SOLO

dynamic, strong CC, debuff, alot of heals and utility.

he can still kill most of the archetypes 1v1 just using kite, but now they can kill him too -) even knight

only one archetype is impossible tfor druid - it is lego

I wasn't commenting on party vs solo. I specifically lack information on party play partly due to my play hours. My problem is that her damage is gated by healing first. And not her powerful damage, but ALL her damage.

For a character who is supposed to be a hybrid of damage and healing, in a game where healing is supposed to be more limited, the druid's damage feels tacked on to the archetype, instead of integral to her playstyle.

Edited by keiotyk

I wasn't commenting on party vs solo. I specifically lack information on party play partly due to my play hours. My problem is that her damage is gated by healing first. And not her powerful damage, but ALL her damage.

For a character who is supposed to be a hybrid of damage and healing, in a game where healing is supposed to be more limited, the druid's damage feels tacked on to the archetype, instead of integral to her playstyle.

Now that's interesting.

What if not all of her damage abilities costed essence? She could still pump out some damage without essence then, but her bigger spells would still require it.

You could even have her LMB generate some essence if you wanted. So instead of throwing heals around when they're not needed, you could still contribute to the fight in your death tray.

My problem is that her damage is gated by healing first. And not her powerful damage, but ALL her damage.

I agree with this. I think maybe it's because they wanted to try something different. To my knowledge, this type of damage gated by healing has never been done before. I definitely think she would work just as well (and maybe even better) if she built her essence through damage but that is a lot more common. A blood sacrificing druid would be awesome, even if it would confuse most gamers who are more comfortable with the nature loving hippie type. 

again, the problem guyz grown from what you want to see druid hybrid of nuker and healer (and debuffer and buffer and CC). this is way tooo OP combo.

for nukes and CC are  best confessor now. for healing lego, etc. chose playstyle you want. all-in-one hybrids must have a mediocre stuff and ofc do not outdps poor dps classes

Discord makkon#8550

again, the problem guyz grown from what you want to see druid hybrid of nuker and healer (and debuffer and buffer and CC). this is way tooo OP combo.

for nukes and CC are  best confessor now. for healing lego, etc. chose playstyle you want. all-in-one hybrids must have a mediocre stuff and ofc do not outdps poor dps classes

If you're responding to the people commenting about damage and/or numbers, fair enough...

However, my posts have consistently referred to the lacklustre nature of the damage mechanics for the druid. Making this a more enjoyable experience has little to do with the effectiveness of specific aspects of their kit, but rather the flow of their kit. Especially on the druid where the cycle of actions is made to be circular; the system of generating and using essence .

I don't think anyone is arguing for the Druid to have comprerable damage to a full on dps like the confessor. It's just at the moment, the only decent damage she has is in her lightning strike combo. The bear as far as I can tell is pretty awkward to use and land. I don't mind that it has a charge up and it roots. Once the bear is touched up, and balancing happens I think her death tray will feel a bit better. I do think her lmb needs changed from what it is atm, not a damage buff, but an actual ability change.

Just remember, first and formost, the druid is a support, her healing and utility should be the main focus in her kit, and her dps should be supplementary. But just because it'll be supplementary, doesn't mean it should feel awkward, and clunky to play.

The problem isn't that the Druid is unique as compared to the Confessor. The problem is that the Druid feels like poorly made socks when played, whether played well or played poorly. It feels awkward and clunky and it's because of the delay / lock out on tray swap. It's essentially a global cooldown I think, but if feels awful and awkward.

edit: in other words,

No other words needed. I agree to that. But that's not what the OP said and to what i answered.

The 6 seconds a druid has to wait before she can use her powers feel as odd as the several second long stuns you can get from a confessor at this stage of testing. It just feels like a bug (and so it was one of the things i reported, hoping that it indee IS a bug). The ranger for example doesn't really work in her actual state either. But at least her T cooldown only effects her ability to swap the tray and doesn't forbid the use of any combat abilities. The druid has to swap permanently and the actually forced gamed break after a swap just don't make any sense. Absolutely.

But thats something different than saying the druid is crap and can't be played offensive, because having to build up essence is tedious. Especially when we know that there will be an offensive promotion class. So to that i (still) don't agree.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

It's a simple fix really.  The more Life energy you have, the better damage you do.  The more damage spells you cast, the better your heals are.

A perfect example of this is Warhammer's :  Archmage & Shaman -  Dmg/Heals not the best at either, but not the worst either.

Now the Druids skills - That's another story.  Most are so slow and dragging it feels like watching paint dry setting up a heal or worrying about essence dump damage.

Edited by pappy

"If your not failing sometimes, you aren't growing.  Without growth, there can never be greatness."

tray swapping takes 0.75 seconds (as stated in patch notes)

you can use your powers after a swap regardless of the 1-2 (or even 6 when bugged) timer countdown after the swap

also applicable to ranger

watch my videos of both ranger and druid to see this in action

example image using #3 jab immediately after a tray swap during "countdown"

PoPjPj0.jpg

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Not a solo character, meant for group play. Also leveling is all time sink not by killing and hunting. Plays alright imo.  Of course all toons  will get tweaks and fixes up t and after launch.  We are a very long time from launch lets say a year or year and half minimum.  Lots will change in the realm of balancing by then. 

Edited by betaguy

THE CORRUPT FEAR  | THE HONEST SUPPORT  | THE HEROIC JOIN