Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dwarfurious

What Can He Do, What Do We Want Him To Do?

So, hes got a big hammer so hes obviously going to use it. His role is support though, and hes a forge master..

Well, im hoping his power doesnt rely in crafting since he'd feel like a Farm character in that case.

Improving armor/weapons on allies would be nice, maybe deployable buffs.

Could have a lot to do with fire, like Age of Wonders has shown us. Fire and Forging go hand in hand, besides Earth itself fire is probably a Dwarves closest element. But that could be sort of magical support or damage.

I'm hoping "support" as a role is more of a suggestion, since playing a dwarf and shying away from combat is not typical.

You're assuming that "support" implies shying away from combat. I think the forgemaster will need to be in the front lines, supporting people with defensive buffs. A promotion class could make him a tank, melee dps or even an archer!

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Thats what im hoping for, will wait to see if we get a Tank role in the future. Since there is no PvE, having a "Tank" will be a little different. Tanks would have to be supportive otherwise no reason to target them. Combat based support is fun too, like building up resource from attacking.

I think, from a strictly lore perspective, it would be really weird if the Forgemaster was a healer. They're a race of stone, they dont bleed, whatever they do to "heal" has no application to anyone else, they're a race that probably has no doctors at all. Masons and smiths.

So hopefully he'll be a more a Buffing support, or harass/CC.

Edited by dwarfurious

One of my initial guesses for the "Stoneborn Forgemaster" is that they are a strong candidate for "weapons logistics" in the worlds closer to the center of the universe (Since those restrict the entry of items from outside worlds, especially in the case of the worlds closest to the center which do not allow you to bring anything with you).

Being able to craft quality weapons is a powerful ability to have in a "World Space" where you start out with no items at all.

Stoneborn will clearly be a frontline oriented class (They are stone, they are Dwarves, their strength attribute is the same as the Centaurs, you can't get any more obvious than that, these guys are hardy and difficult to take down, no point leaving them in the back unless he's the last guy capable of making weapons in the group).

Stoneborn promotion classes will likely branch out to "Tank", "Magic", although I find it hard to imagine a Stoneborn Bowman (Their base dexterity doesn't really imply it).  Stoneborn feel like a pretty melee grounded class if you ask me (When it comes to weapons, not magic).

These guys will be THE  mastersmiths in crowfall, their lore heavily implies it.  And I am married to the idea, I wouldn't mind roleplaying as a Stoneborn Hermit that refuses to cooperate with his "allies".  "Leave my work alone you scoundrels!"  My favorite part is probably the tragedy of their deity's death and their quest to some ominous "Great Work" (What construct are they referring to?).

"We have only the Great Work, That-Which-Must-Be-Done."

"Bastard sons of the Wretched God – I shall not honor him by name. The pain of our birth broke the World and killed our Mother. This is our eternal shame. It falls to us, to dress her wounds."

"Until the End of Days, we shall toil in the belly of the Realms of Man. We shall keep your fires lit, unless the last of us is no more."

"Then leave me, now, Son of Arkyn.

For there is Work to be done."

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

You're assuming that "support" implies shying away from combat. I think the forgemaster will need to be in the front lines, supporting people with defensive buffs. A promotion class could make him a tank, melee dps or even an archer!

Agreed. no sense giving a melee character high strength if they don't engage the enemy. Defensive buffs, maybe triggered by hitting the enemy seems likely (damage absorb, added armour, etc...) and stuns/knock back abilities to support other attackers.

Edit : Using a Axe instead of a Hammer could also change the playstyle and support abilities (Axes add damage to ally attacks or bleed effects, while hammers have more crowd control attacks)

"Spirit" is usually associated with healing, just not necessarily "holy" healing. A race made of stone, with a background in masonry and spirituality would probably have some inherit magical abilities that could not "heal" them, but "repair" them instead. So they could still have a caster option via promotion classes, without being just another short mage with a beard.

Could also have point of interest/siege related abilities or buffs. added catapult damage, repair keep walls/doors, increase mine yields.

Edited by Squirlypete

Agreed. no sense giving a melee character high strength if they don't engage the enemy. Defensive buffs, maybe triggered by hitting the enemy seems likely (damage absorb, added armour, etc...) and stuns/knock back abilities to support other attackers.

Edit : Using a Axe instead of a Hammer could also change the playstyle and support abilities (Axes add damage to ally attacks or bleed effects, while hammers have more crowd control attacks)

"Spirit" is usually associated with healing, just not necessarily "holy" healing. A race made of stone, with a background in masonry and spirituality would probably have some inherit magical abilities that could not "heal" them, but "repair" them instead. So they could still have a caster option via promotion classes, without being just another short mage with a beard.

Could also have point of interest/siege related abilities or buffs. added catapult damage, repair keep walls/doors, increase mine yields.

Note that "In combat healing" won't be a thing in Crowfall (Source: Combat FAQ).

Regarding Spirit, many of Crowfall's characters/mechanics sound similar to those of Shadowbane.  If we were to look at Shadowbane as a reference for what "Spirit" could do, we can see it likely affects mana

http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php/Spirit

I also noticed "Spirit" in Shadowbane raised minimum power damage while "Intelligence" raised maximum power damage.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Note that "In combat healing" won't be a thing in Crowfall (Source: Combat FAQ).

Regarding Spirit, many of Crowfall's characters/mechanics sound similar to those of Shadowbane.  If we were to look at Shadowbane as a reference for what "Spirit" could do, we can see it likely affects mana

http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php/Spirit

I also noticed "Spirit" in Shadowbane raised minimum power damage while "Intelligence" raised maximum power damage.

txteclipse already pointed out healing will be "light", but I do agree with you in that it could very well be similar to Shadowbane, but I wouldn't be so quick to count out new ideas simply because the limited info we have now sounds similar to Shadowbane. The Devs have already made a bold mission statement on making something new!

My post was more wishful thinking and a lot of speculation.

Edited by Squirlypete

Based on the picture, he can apparently walk on lava? I mean, hes just standing in a pool of molten metal..

Gdh896t.jpg

Dwarves are so wonderfully consistent <3

From the looks of this, it seems like a lot of those could be passive skills or buffs. So maybe he could be many different roles such as a dps or tank, just depending on how you choose to build him?