Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Urahara

Rumor - President of Daybreak changed

http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/02/rumor-daybreaks-russell-shanks-is-out-columbus-nova-exec-is-in/

I really hope they sell the EverQuest IP or the whole company to someone who is willing to make EverQuest Next.

Maybe EverQuest Next gets a second chance now.

I really hope so, I also dont see any chance for Daybreak to survive without EverQuest Next.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

This is good news to me since i grew up on EQ2 i still play time to time but lost interest really when they got bought out. I'm a die hard EQ fan and really how this will change things. Ever since Smed left thats when it really started to suck imo. I havent kept tabs on that game since EQN got canceled but if landmark is still in development i could see them using that to transfer a lot of the assests over to it since landmark was not doing much better. Landmark for me was always the place where the community was suppose to build to help the devs out and create awesome stuff.

With that being said i think EQN is dead in the water and they would have to climb a really big mountain to get people to believe in EQN again. Best option is to sell EQ IP to a well known gaming company instead of building it from a brand new company. Also like i said EQN title is dead to most people, they would need a new title for the game "EQ3" or something.

Names arent important, content is important.

What EverQuest Next showed was the next generation of the MMO genre.

Thats the next step of MMO gaming.

There is no need for EQ 3 if its like EQ 2 with one or two twists.

If EverQuest Next doesnt get done, we will have to wait another ten years for it being done by someone else.

This is the next generation of gaming, and we will have just to wait longer if there is no one willing to make it now. To make this effort and take this risk.

But the result of this will always be a game thats like EverQuest Next.

There is no need for new MMOs which are like all the other hundreds of MMOs out there, they need to be innovative and ambitious.

Star Citizen is the only other title with this ambition and innovation. But its a whole other setting.

There are many people who want a game like EverQuest Next, and even more who dont now they yet that they want it, but they do, they just dont know it already.

Because the game was cancelled already when SOE was sold, and even before that, when it was clear for the people involved that SOE will get sold to Columbus Nove, and not to Storybricks.

So of course the game cant show you much before you get the chance to create it.

Because the game was cancelled already when SOE was sold, and even before that, when it was clear for the people involved that SOE will get sold to Columbus Nove, and not to Storybricks.

So of course the game cant show you much before you get the chance to create it.

That's just conjecture though, whatever reasoning you want to believe, the game was an idea that never got off the ground.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Thats how things were happening, we all were able to follow it and have seen it. Thats how things happened.

What is there not to understand or to debate about?

The company SOE got sold by Sony to a finance/investment company.

Many people left the company on their own before, during and after that happening.

Others got fired.

Storybricks left the project as well.

They lost all the important people to stem a project like this.

The game got canceled, of course.

Next things to happen are likey:

The IP's like EverQuest or Planetside get sold individually and the company gets closed

or

The company gets sold as a whole, at least the little rest thats left of it by now, to a big publisher or another investment company.

Edited by Urahara

EQN didn't really show us anything, it was a bunch of good ideas that never came close to getting off of the ground.

Yea it was all talk and nothing to show. Reason i believe it fell was because of four things

1) Dave talk about all of this stuff he wanted to happen and was really hard to believe/do because it really was new stuff that had never been done before. His "Holy Grails" he wanted to achieve could not be done with the staff he had because they could not do it.  (example: had to hire storybricks and Daybreak said that did want to do this all internal and later they did after storybricks fell under).

2) They announced it way to early and built up way to much hype. They should have held off the announcement for another year or two.

3)EQN was never their star project. If u watched any of the interviews with smed he was always hyping up this new game that was in the works. Everyone was like OMG ITS THE NEXT EQ!!!! wrong. it was h1z1 and that was his baby not EQN.

4)They got the public involved in testing and building way to early on and confused the hell out of i say a safe estimate was around 80% of the population with landmark and EQN and describing the differences.

All in all EQN title is dead. Hopfully to never be seen again. The IP could still come out as the next full game but calling it EQN would be a marketing failure. It was a laughing stock of an MMO in many peoples eyes and for them to call it EQN would be a disaster. No one would want to get involved in it. The comapny needs to get sold to a well known company with the IP and either need to tone the game WAY down to make it even possible to come out and even then i fear it would not do well cause people will see it as what could have been. OR get a big company to make that their main focus and even then i bet we are still 2-3 years from seeing it.

People could maybe doing a crowdfunding campaign surrounding David Georgeson to get EverQuest Next back on track.

IDK if Dave would come back tbh. Hes all about VR/AR now. Maybe if he saw he could get the right team together but even then.

Yea it was all talk and nothing to show. Reason i believe it fell was because of four things

1) Dave talk about all of this stuff he wanted to happen and was really hard to believe/do because it really was new stuff that had never been done before. His "Holy Grails" he wanted to achieve could not be done with the staff he had because they could not do it.  (example: had to hire storybricks and Daybreak said that did want to do this all internal and later they did after storybricks fell under).

I think the main failure was a full voxel world and the performance issues that came with it and the problems it caused in other areas (AI pathing for example)

2) They announced it way to early and built up way to much hype. They should have held off the announcement for another year or two.

Yep they announced it way early and then they never got out of the RND phase because the ideas just couldn't be married.

3)EQN was never their star project. If u watched any of the interviews with smed he was always hyping up this new game that was in the works. Everyone was like OMG ITS THE NEXT EQ!!!! wrong. it was h1z1 and that was his baby not EQN.

I think EQN was their star project but once they realized how hard it would be to make the game they had to shift focus to H1Z1

4)They got the public involved in testing and building way to early on and confused the hell out of i say a safe estimate was around 80% of the population with landmark and EQN and describing the differences.

All in all EQN title is dead. Hopfully to never be seen again. The IP could still come out as the next full game but calling it EQN would be a marketing failure. It was a laughing stock of an MMO in many peoples eyes and for them to call it EQN would be a disaster. No one would want to get involved in it. The comapny needs to get sold to a well known company with the IP and either need to tone the game WAY down to make it even possible to come out and even then i fear it would not do well cause people will see it as what could have been. OR get a big company to make that their main focus and even then i bet we are still 2-3 years from seeing it.

I think they permanently spoiled the EQ name.  It's just done.  Pantheon Online seems to be the successor to EQ games though.

I think they permanently spoiled the EQ name.  It's just done.  Pantheon Online seems to be the successor to EQ games though.

This. Looking foward to pantheon as well. Plan on playing alot of Crowfall and Pantheon.

I dont get this.

EQN is pretty much right that what the seemingly dead MMO genre needs.

Innovation and ambition.

What is with this attitude of yours?

Do you know Star Citizen?!

All people said thats impossible to make, and see how far they got already.

With your attitude we would have these boring games forever, without the slightest bit of innovation and ambition.

What do you think why it is that the MMO genre and pretty much the whole game industry is stagnating?

There is no risk taking, no innovation, no investment, no ambition.

We are basically still playing games which are the same like 6 years before. Only thing that has improved is graphics. And gameplay is more polished by today than 6 years before, but thats it. Basically all these games were able to release already 6 years before.

The game engines and AI are all outdated and years old, there is noone investing into this in the gaming industry. The AI used in the gaming industry is years behind the AI of other industries. They dont take risks, try to innovate, have no ambition, and dont invest into quality and future of gaming. And you are all ok with this, and say that this is good so?!

But at the same time all people are saying that they got enough of gaming, because all the games are the same and they played this already in another game.

EQN was very much doable. Much more than Star Citizen for sure. And Star Citizen is showing what is possible and what not, its the only game showing that.

If they just would have restricted a full destroyable voxel world to certain areas, EQN would have been very much able to get done.

What was far more important was the AI and all the stuff they wanted to do with that. This is what is needed most. The voxel world was great too, and I loved it, it was so much fun, Landmark had the best and most fun, entertaining resource gathering I had ever seen. It was so much fun to do mining. And the possibilities and freedom for creation of buildings and stuff was just amazing, the best I have ever seen as well. If you had seen the amazing things people created with it, it was absolutely stunning. So amazing. Even better than in Boundless or Trove or such. And in there I saw already amazing things people had build.

EQN had so much potential and is really what is needed for the MMO genre. The genre is pretty much dead, there is no one investing into these games anymore, besides the players themselves.

The only hope left is Star Citizen.

Edited by Urahara

I dont get this.

EQN is pretty much right that what the seemingly dead MMO genre needs.

Innovation and ambition.

What is with this attitude of yours?

Do you know Star Citizen?!

All people said thats impossible to make, and see how far they got already.

With your attitude we would have these boring games forever, without the slightest bit of innovation and ambition.

What do you think why it is that the MMO genre and pretty much the whole game industry is stagnating?

There is no risk taking, no innovation, no investment, no ambition.

We are basically still playing games which are the same like 6 years before. Only thing that has improved is graphics. And gameplay is more polished by today than 6 years before, but thats it. Basically all these games were able to release already 6 years before.

The game engines and AI are all outdated and years old, there is noone investing into this in the gaming industry. The AI used in the gaming industry is years behind the AI of other industries. They dont take risks, try to innovate, have no ambition, and dont invest into quality and future of gaming. And you are all ok with this, and say that this is good so?!

But at the same time all people are saying that they got enough of gaming, because all the games are the same and they played this already in another game.

EQN was very much doable. Much more than Star Citizen for sure. And Star Citizen is showing what is possible and what not, its the only game showing that.

If they just would have restricted a full destroyable voxel world to certain areas, EQN would have been very much able to get done.

What was far more important was the AI and all the stuff they wanted to do with that. This is what is needed most. The voxel world was great too, and I loved it, it was so much fun, Landmark had the best and most fun, entertaining resource gathering I had ever seen. It was so much fun to do mining. And the possibilities and freedom for creation of buildings and stuff was just amazing, the best I have ever seen as well. If you had seen the amazing things people created with it, it was absolutely stunning. So amazing. Even better than in Boundless or Trove or such. And in there I saw already amazing things people had build.

EQN had so much potential and is really what is needed for the MMO genre. The genre is pretty much dead, there is no one investing into these games anymore, besides the players themselves.

The only hope left is Star Citizen.

EQN wasn't doable though, that's why it failed in development.

Star Citizen has also been sitting there in super slow development for ages, you may think they are doing something fantastic, but they've spent forever on the project and actually have a lot less to show for it than they should.  In this regard Crowfall is actually more impressive considering it has way less funding and a smaller team. 

Having EQNext (in it's first vision) would be nice.

Unfortunately nice things are used to happen not too frequently. They are much more likely to happen if a big amount of work and passion strengthens their back.

And frankly, i can't imagine how "SOE/Daybreak/the persons behind it" could ever regain my trust (and "just" "a new president" surely won't change anything about that). So i don't really care what happens with the EQN ghost.

StarCitizen has a nice vision. But it's the perfect example what happens if people want more than they can bite. SC is nice for backers who don't care enough (then it doesn't matter how long it takes) or for persons who care too much (then they will be busy the whole way).

I alpha-ed all of them. But under the line CF just seems to make the most sense and the best job. By far.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Ok so you want the most innovative and ambtous game ever made, which will bring video games on a whole new level/standard, and you want all that to be done in 2 years? And it shouldnt cost anything as well I guess?

Star Citizen just became the last 2 years the big game project it is today, thanks to people wanting to play this game.

They had to build up a company and all first and grew over time, how support continued the game grew.

Its not like the big studios of publishers, where you know you got this and that amount of money and people and other resources.

This is a community driven and supported project like the world hasnt seen before.

Its really amazing, and one can be lucky that we all are able to make this happen together somehow.

This is showing that there is no need for publishers anymore also, this is already and will be changing so much in the gaming industry.

It will be a whole new experience, without VR and AR and mobile and all this stupid stuff. Just from a game quality standpoint. It will be raising the level to a new stage no one ever even imagined to reach, not to speack of to try.

This cant be done in 2 years, they are making really amazing progress. If you knew how hard the developers are working on Star Citizen. There arent many people working this hard on video games or at all. They really have to go all the way and give their best in order to create Star Citizen.

I can assure you the people at Star Citizen are working harder than most other teams. Otherwise the game wouldnt be possible. But the developers want to play the game as well, thats the diffrence.

Also the transparency at Star Citizen is the best in the whole gaming industry and of all crowdfunding projects. The reports they are making for the backers are even more comprehensive than the ones investors are getting usually. Also they are sharing their internal schedule. Do you know how much of a statement that is? And all the work they are making for these reports and the schedule and all, this is much work and so much of a statement of transparency. No other company hands out internal schedules.

For example here at Crowfall its much less transparent. I hear from people on the forums what the current release schedule is, which they only know from a new investment project too. I am not updated on the progress of development really, its not being made systemically, but more like on the fly. You arent able to get an idea of where the project stands and what they are doing really. They make some videos when they like to show something, and give information here and there, but nothing serious. I expected a launch not before end of 2017 anyway, but its not nice to get informed of that only because they wanna reach new investors and are obligated to mention this therefore.

Edited by Urahara

EQN wasn't doable though, that's why it failed in development.

EQN was and is doable.

What exactly wouldnt be doable? Its not possible for a video game to have a good AI? Thats what you think maybe if you look at current games, but look at other industries and what kind of amazing AI they have. We very very much need really intelligent games, like EQN was supposed to be.

EQN failed because the company got sold and the people left because of their own will or got fired. You cant develop such a game with a small, broken. discouraged team.

If you wanna see how much of an MMO you can make with only a few people

and a tiny budget look at Divergence Online,

with a bigger budget, Chronicles of Elyria, for example,

or even with only one person, The Imperial Realm: Miranda.

Again, EQN got canceled because the company got sold, that's why it failed.

Star Citizen has also been sitting there in super slow development for ages, you may think they are doing something fantastic, but they've spent forever on the project and actually have a lot less to show for it than they should.  In this regard Crowfall is actually more impressive considering it has way less funding and a smaller team.

This is just not true again, for the first as for the second part.

They had to build up a company in order to create the game. Its the most innovative and ambitous game of all time. There was not such a thing of super slow development, and for sure not for ages!

Ok, this shows that you are just stating your opinion, which is untrue and false.

You got no idea of game development, how hard they are working, of all the tech they created in order to get the game where it is, to make this game possible, you dont understand any of it. This comment shows it clearly. I had to learn all this myself first as well, and thought that it is too slow in development. But its the most ambitous game project of all time, all the tech they have to create to make the game possible, simply didnt exist before, because nobody ever imagned to do stuff like that, they have to create all these necessary technologies theirselves, you got any idea how hard and challenging this must be?! I dont think you can do that, or maybe even just imagine that.

Crowfall for example is just using the Unity Engine, they almost arent creating anything theirselves besides game content (inside the game engine), and this is fine for a project like Crowfall. Well it could show problems performance wise, thats why Camelot Unchained created their own engine, to make sure the engine can handle the game like they envision it, but we will have to wait and see.

The benefit is that Crowfall is much easier to develop and takes much less efford and time. Or it should at least in logical thinking.

But I have to say that even considering the budget and teamsize, I cant share your estimate for the progress of Crowfall being more impressive than Star Citizen.

Crowfall doesnt have too much to show so far, and the level of difficulty to create it is on a whole lower level than for Star Citizen.

In Crowfall all you are doing is game development which is the same since many years, the only new features would be that it got real physics and is action based, with real aiming and hitting. Of course the physics are nothing in comparison to Star Citizen, but its something nice still. But there are other MMO games out there who got real aiming and hitting long time, like the MMO shooter Defiance for example.

The only other technically innovative feature would have been the voxel world, which would have been the same technology like for Everquest Next, and is being made by another company (Voxelfarms I think). Also it seems like they wont be using the Voxel engine anymore though.

Besides these two features Crowfall is technically not different from any other MMO game out there.

What makes the difference for Crowfall are the game concept and design, it smart mix of genres and ideas. Thats what makes Crowfall unique and interesting. But thats not from a technical side but from a game idea/design side.

So, and now, if you look at Star Citizen in comparison, its just a whole other world.

All people thought that the game would work as follows. There is one huge space you are in, and if you go to a bigger area like a planet or space station, there will be a loading screen, which is maybe dynamic and interactive, but still a loading screen, and then you are at the planet, or within its atmosphere, and if you wanna leave from there, loading screen again.

But what they showed us this year is that there isnt a single loading screen in the whole solar system. This is absolutely mindblowing and one of the things people said wouldnt be possible. This doesnt mean that a whole solar system is a single server, this just isnt technically possible today, but they developed a very smart solution, where you transfer between servers seemingless. So you can fly through an area which is as big as a whole solar system without a single loading screen.

And the planets are as detailed and high quality as single player maps in other games, which are very very much smaller in comparison. Making this all work, is just incredible, and something not many people on this planet can make to work. If that isnt impressive, then I dont know what is. Well maybe its just technically impressive, but not game wise, thats a big concern many people are sharing, that Star Cititzen will be for sure the most amzing tech demo ever being made, but maybe not too much of a good game. Because a game is meant to make fun playing it, a tech demo is not.

But there are so many amazing things already going into Star Citizen now, and there will be coming many many more of that.

With the progress of Crowfall on the other side, I dont think they made too much progress so far, even for the budget and the team size. The budget they are having is pretty good for the size/vision of the game. Yet the real progress isnt noticeable so far, for me at least. Sure there is progress, but it hasent been really a huge amount so far.

The act of taking notice first and then accordingly starting to change the combat system took far too much time.

And I would have expected really a bit more from so called industry veterans, first that they are able to notice and change it much faster, and second that they wouldnt think that this kind of combat would be good in the first place.

I was a bit astonished when I read that this kind of combat is what they envision for the final game, industry veterans should know a bit better or a bit more about that. Thats basically what the game is most about in the end, and they should be aware of that, and should know how it gets done right and how it should be like.

So all in all, the progression of Crowfall hasnt been really too much for the 2 years now it is in production.

If things keep to turn out like this, the current estimated soft launch of Crowfall for the end of 2017, wont be happening either, or is very unsure, or in grave danger at least. The progress for 2016 hasnt been too much from what I can tell, and if there isnt much they are having already internal being done, which we cant see or know about, there wont be too much progress be seen eventually for some additional months. I was expecting that for the months to come we would be able to test the first campaign worlds and such, but from my impression they state of the game is still far away from that. Considering I was expecting campaign world testing to still be happening in 2016, like it was told us a few months ago, Crowfall is a bit much behind from my optimistic/positive schedule.

Edited by Urahara

well what I first said and I will say it again. the project had NEVER been done before so was a difficult and challenging task. It is doable BUT not doable with the team they had.

Dave won't come back imo cause he working in AR/VR so that's out.

and again I've said it once and I'll say it again. with them being owned by Nova the chances we see another EQ game is unlikely because Nova is a company where they want a quick profit and then move on. they are more concerned about the return they will get from the investment than making the next great MMO. So. The EQ rights need to be sold to a well known company if we want the "Holy Grails" if not and we wait for them to startup and build community and fund raise then by time they make it they will have competition cause they already announced the "holy grails" like 3 hrs ago so they are way behind.

well what I first said and I will say it again. the project had NEVER been done before so was a difficult and challenging task. It is doable BUT not doable with the team they had.

Dave won't come back imo cause he working in AR/VR so that's out.

and again I've said it once and I'll say it again. with them being owned by Nova the chances we see another EQ game is unlikely because Nova is a company where they want a quick profit and then move on. they are more concerned about the return they will get from the investment than making the next great MMO. So. The EQ rights need to be sold to a well known company if we want the "Holy Grails" if not and we wait for them to startup and build community and fund raise then by time they make it they will have competition cause they already announced the "holy grails" like 3 hrs ago so they are way behind.

I think a crowdfunding campaign for getting EverQuest Next done would be very successful, that is if the right people would be in charge, like Dave.

If Dave came and said we want to buy the EverQuest IP and finish EON, I think many people would be up for it.

Sure we want the Holy grails, the MMO genre even needs them in order to get out of the stagnation it is in right now.

I didnt understand your last part really.

Do you mean that if they wait too long for making EQN, that there will be other games coming out with the features EQN was showing?

Well first I dont care who makes a game like EQN and what the name of the game will be, most important is that the game is good, and EQN had lots of potential to be really a very good game.

So I dont care who makes it or what the name of the game will be, most important is that someone makes a game like EQN. But thats not the case, the MMO genre is pretty much dead, there are almost no big western AAA MMO games coming out anymore since 2 years. There is no big competition anymore for who makes the next great MMO/WoW Killer. Thats also part of the reason why crowdfunding MMO games are so successful, like Crowfall.

There just isnt real competition anymore in the MMO genre for the next big hit. If so there would be some or even several games like EQN in development, but from what we know, there isnt any big western AAA game in development anymore since Wildstar 2 years ago already. Only big western AAA title is Star Cititzen, and thats fully crowdfunded. And even for MMO games from asia its not looking too bright at the moment.

I wish there was more competition. But if they dont want the money anymore, because they think they get more money elsewhere, then I have money over which I can just give to Star Citizen or Crowfall and such, instead of putting money into many disappointing games like before. But I did, because of the hype and because it was worth it, to reward them for trying to make a new inspiring MMO. But today they dont even attempt to do that anymore...

Edited by Urahara