Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vectious

Hunger Mechanic

I would like to see something more flexible here. For instance, I'd like to see something like 5 chicken legs. I start at 3 and it takes a long time to get reduced, but when I hit one chicken leg (after several hours without food) I suffer some debilitating effects because I'm about to starve. If I hit 0, I'd actually like to starve to death. If I eat something, I'd like to go back up to 3 chicken legs quickly. 

If I eat good quality food, I'd like to go up to 4 chicken legs and get a minor buff. If I eat something great, I'd like to go up to 5 legs and get a major buff. And, I'd like food to be rare (especially in winter). 

Under a system like this, I actually care more about finding individual sources of food, because that apple will stave off starvation for another hour. I want to be friends with that cook because his food can give me a nice buff that will last through my night's play session. Under a system like this, a guild needs to be concerned about, and fight over food sources, especially in winter to keep their forces functional. Those who plan accordingly could shift the balance at the end of a campaign. You may even find yourselves sacrificing players to suffer starvation effects to keep key positions functioning at optimal levels. 

I can see desperate alliances of unlikely allies forming to mount an assault on that other guild's food stores. I can see solo players selling that cut of meat in the dead of winter at a hugely inflated price. On that note, I can see the role and value of hunters and Herdsman grow considerably!

23 hours ago, kokaska71 said:

Can't sleep so here's my ideas about the Hunger mechanic. 

1. Take Hunger away completely. Use only in short Campaigns and have the Hunger 2-5 times more powerful. During these campaigns starvation is possible.

2. Another idea would be to do away with Hunger during Spring and Summer. Increase resources during those two seasons. Add slow very slow tickers in Autumn and start decreasing resources. Winter comes around resources gone and tickers increase, due to the spread of the Hunger. Only during Winter is starvation possible. Sieges in Winter could result in slow death by starvation if there wasn't adequate resources stored. 

I know its a waste of time and resources but I would love to see something like a player with only a few ticks left in Hunger bar..their screen pulses in time to rapid heartbeat. They slow down-movement debuff. Become dizzy. Character is emaciated unable to execute some skills. Just a thought

Did more thinking about this. Hunger tickers aren't a big deal to me. As another player posted above basically it is just another mechanic to learn in order to play the game effectively. I do think it needs to be tweaked to be more efficient. Also I do think having faster tickers in some of the Campaigns is a good idea. :D  And if we have to watch our tickers we should be able to starve. This being a PVP game where players should always be aware of surroundings, managing resources etc. The idea of starvation fits.

Another idea is tying the tickers to Race instead of Class or just a flat rate across the board. Races with higher Constitution have slower tickers. Lower Con faster tickers. With all affected by combat/actions. Though this might lead to no one playing others races. I have found the path of least resistance is the choice for some.  ;)   Additionally I like the idea of having the first 3-5 ticks being super slow for everyone. (Can Constitution be raised by skills or gear?)

Getting rid of the chicken tickers- Yes please. In keeping with my idea from above, instead of chicken legs have the screen pulse every time there is a tick. Pulse as in heartbeat. Hunger pangs. Faster pulsing is result of low ticker (close to starving) rapid heartbeat. Ever experience low blood sugar? Exactly that. Your heart speeds up, temp rises. You feel weak and dizzy. The idea of this is intriguing but in live game might be too distracting. When tickers very low character gets movement debuff and unable to execute some skills due to weakness and stamina drain. 

(Character is emaciated) Like the mobs during Winter when the Hunger is the strongest, characters when close to starving could appear emaciated. Skeletal skinny gear hanging off like one of the Risen mobs. I love the idea of this but I know that it is probably not possible.