Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
acriminalmind

One Server or Many?

One Server or Many?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want:

• One massive ever-changing ever-expanding online world to influence, conquer, and explore... opening the game to all players throughout the world, Europe, NA, and Asia in real-time?
    • Several smaller mirror-image worlds or with slightly differing mapsets, limits to members in different parts of the world based on locale and/or timezone, and various other restrictions?

I'm in favour of having multiple shards, but with the ability to jump between them so you can play with different people. It's frustrating to make a character, only to have all of your friends create theirs on other servers - then get charged for moving servers or scrapping your character and starting over.

I agree with madzo - in the games where I had a specific server vs the ones with a megaserver, I felt more attached and invested because the sense of the community was greater on the separate servers. That said, I also have the problem with region-locked servers cutting me off from the rest of the world. We're living in the 21st century - I think most of us online-dwellers can say we have friends abroad in some sense. Guild Wars (1) used shard servers, but gave you the ability to jump between them, whether they were for your region or not. So you could stay on the NA/EU Servers, or jump to the International servers.

One server otherwise it's not really a living world because you just say this world sucks and go to another instead of trying to change it.  But depending on styles of say combat if lag/ping is going to be a huge factor maybe regional servers (Americas, EU, SEA).

I prefer multiple servers, assuming the population can handle it, with moving between servers not being a huge pain (moving assets could be a pain). In every game with 1 mega-server, if the game got stale, the game got stale, and that was that.  When there's multiple realms, especially if you can move around without paying money, it's quite easy to have a never-ending supply of "greener pastures", and player retention is a bit easier.

I like to think of it more as different continents, really, with it just being a big time sink to move between them, and thus, not being worth it to regularly do so.  This also is in line with creating an experience that can cater to more people.  Smaller continents, with less resources, would be less competitive, and better for players who are much more casual and just enjoy the little things.  The whole idea of a "backwater" realm is great.  Maybe you get tired of always having to fight 200+ to do ANYTHING, and want to play in a less competitive environment for a few months.  Great, that's better than just quitting. Options are great.  Options are what make games stick around.

I do hope the developers stray away from what a lot of people here seem to want.  Another Darkfall or Mortal online.  Those games were just failures on so many levels, because they are just too hardcore and limiting.  There was no real creativity available to players in those games.  You just grinded up, did silly broken FPS combat (that wasn't realistic in the slightest), and then got bored.  Spending hours running around looking for ANYONE to kill in darkfall made me quit pretty quick - why did they insist on having some mega-sized server?  They drove so many players off within weeks of opening their game.  Having a game that can accommodate at least SOME variety in player-types is required if you want a healthy game.

ESO for all its faults, its Megaserver tech works quite well IMO. Being able to find and play with friends, and easily find new friends when yours quit the game is a huge plus for Megaservers. Don't have to pay for server transfers or re-roll a whole new toon, everyone that plays the game is available to interact with.

I would prefer multiple servers for every day use (leveling, questing, etc.)... but with 1 server put aside for, say, a world pvp area where everyone from all over the world could all play together.

(sorry if repeat idea)

One mega server where you can travel to differnet regions. Each server region corresponds to a real world reagion (asia, america-europe)

The problem, is lag will kill.

To solve this, your charcter will be allowed to travel to another region only if ping is below certain value (say 300ms)

I live in south america. please let me play this game!  :lol:

I wish there's only one server.

I do hope the developers stray away from what a lot of people here seem to want.  Another Darkfall or Mortal online.  Those games were just failures on so many levels, because they are just too hardcore and limiting.  There was no real creativity available to players in those games.  You just grinded up, did silly broken FPS combat (that wasn't realistic in the slightest), and then got bored.  Spending hours running around looking for ANYONE to kill in darkfall made me quit pretty quick - why did they insist on having some mega-sized server?  They drove so many players off within weeks of opening their game.  Having a game that can accommodate at least SOME variety in player-types is required if you want a healthy game.

If you think the reason why ppl quit MO or DF is single server (actually it's 2 for DF) you're... wrong.

Oh and about combat: fun > realism

One giant server doesn't allow for great community development... 

It allows for more actualy. By having access and being able to interact with everyone who plays the game and not just those that happen to roll on your sever its possible to cater your own community based on who you want to play with, as oppose to those who just happen to be on a smaller part of the game.

It also makes the community more flexible as the game ages you again still have access to all who play the game and won't get stuck on the "dead server" after people start to come and go from the game.

Two Letters... CN

SBer's will know what that means... Zerg needs its own server - maybe then they will get better but either way not my problem. Plus one EU/US server...

The problem with the MEGASERVER thing? Lag... I think if we could all play together in a single server, it would be fun, but for people who don't have fast connections (like myself being italian (italian connections suck)), it might be kind of a problem to get the game running without any lags. I wouldn't mind it if they could achieve a worldwide server with no lag.

It allows for more actualy. By having access and being able to interact with everyone who plays the game and not just those that happen to roll on your sever its possible to cater your own community based on who you want to play with, as oppose to those who just happen to be on a smaller part of the game.

It also makes the community more flexible as the game ages you again still have access to all who play the game and won't get stuck on the "dead server" after people start to come and go from the game.

No it actually doesn't... it becomes a sea of bodies... it's like urban behavioral patterns vs more manageable suburban patterns...  Not to mention the technical implications and the use of phasing/instancing which is horrible for persistent world interaction...