Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
acriminalmind

One Server or Many?

One Server or Many?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want:

• One massive ever-changing ever-expanding online world to influence, conquer, and explore... opening the game to all players throughout the world, Europe, NA, and Asia in real-time?
    • Several smaller mirror-image worlds or with slightly differing mapsets, limits to members in different parts of the world based on locale and/or timezone, and various other restrictions?

I feel 2 servers for each part of the world will suffice.  One for PVP and PVE.  I can't stand PVP.   I've always sucked at it.  One thing I hate is running around doing quests and trying to complete them while people are camping and ganking you.  I'm there to quest and actually play the game.  I've never been ganked in F2P games, always subscripion games.  I would be willing to pay for a subscription if I had the option to choose either server.

My idea: 

Lets have time zoned based servers, and base them off player rank.

(About player rank, I'm sure different quests can be formed in the same world but...)

So about the player rank system, players of according rank are forced to a certain world, that's where their quests can go (although they can go to lower leveled worlds, but why would someone want to do a 5 minute quest for 5xp when they can do bigger?) (about PvP, they're not allowed to attack first in lower leveled worlds)

For friends, there could be this gigantic sandbox server that anyone, regardless of rank and time-zones. In this world, special event quests would take place, competitions would take place.

~Please message me if you have questions!

Let the doctor fix things up

Please vote no on Asian presence

Lol already? I Was looking around to see who was the first to start this with stupid request. Seem that you won the prize

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

A mmorpg should be massive, not a solo instance enviroment like all the WoW clones, so i say 1 big server with a max of 10000 players.

That is pretty hopeful...

k653rIm.png

Basically, I'd like to see something like what CCP does with EVE Online. One big server with plenty of room.

too big of a server makes it much harder to find people to kill... the idea is to have you always looking over your shoulder, because you have something that they want, and you cant afford to lose it.

k653rIm.png

One server, although it would have to have a massive amount of land available, otherwise the land-grab rush from any sandbox mmo launching can be pretty crazy to watch.

One server, although it would have to have a massive amount of land available, otherwise the land-grab rush from any sandbox mmo launching can be pretty crazy to watch.

That is kind of the idea, make there not be enough cities, so that people have a reason to go out and take somebody else's. good way to get pvp without the need for quests or instances.

k653rIm.png

Server politics could get so convoluted if it was just one megaserver, it would be so hard to keep track with literally thousands of guilds, cities and alliances unless there was some form of instancing to separate it all into more organized chunks. I say multiple servers, but not too many,

I don't wanna have lag.

I agree, lag is a game killer for everyone. I think having one server each for NA/Euro/Asia zones would be the way to go...

Didnt vote. Too many factors involved.  Server should be as large as possible without disrupting playability through lag and such.  Then population should determine when more worlds should be opened.  Barren worlds are bad, overcrowded worlds are just as bad.

We need several different servers located in different regions so that each player has an opportunity to play the game with excellent latency.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

If you're going with the 1 virtual server idea you could pretty easily just make two virtual continents, and make the rulesets apply based on continent. Everyone gets to play with each other, but gets to do so on their own time.

And by pretty easily, I mean in theory a virtual distributed server could do this quite easily. Applying a distributed server system to a game like this hasn't really worked very well in the past. EVE is the closest thing I know of to succeeding and does so by dynamically slowing the game down in areas that are overcrowded. That kind of workaround doesn't apply very well in other genres.

ncLez59.png

I didn't place a vote here as the options are limiting to what I personally feel.

In a perfect world 1 huge server with a extremely massive world would be unbelievable. However technology I don't believe could even allow this yet.

So in that regards, I would like to see servers large as technology now allows them to be with a world as large as possible.

I would like to see regional restrictions if this is a seige warfare game as well, just plain due to time zones in real life, along with communication issues.

If I pk someone and they want to swear at me for it, I want it to be in english so I can giggle at it lol