Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gwanstar

Multiple accounts? "Cheating"?

What's to stop players from having multiple accounts, or guilds requiring you to have multiple accounts, log on to the same campaign and occupying space?

What I mean by is this: Guild 1's requirement to join is to have 2 computers and 2 accounts. Your main character on one account is on the same campaign as your other character on the other account on the opposing faction, who's sole purpose is just to stand around and do nothing and thus not contribute to his team. In a guild vs guild, or order vs chaos scenario this could be potentially game breaking.

What's to stop people from abusing this?

Nothing. There's no way they can stop people from having multiple accounts. I think you're overestimating how many people will do something like this. Besides, if one side can do it, so can other other sides, which means the net effect is minimal.

Edited by Arkade

What's to stop players from having multiple accounts, or guilds requiring you to have multiple accounts, log on to the same campaign and occupying space?

What I mean by is this: Guild 1's requirement to join is to have 2 computers and 2 accounts. Your main character on one account is on the same campaign as your other character on the other account on the opposing faction, who's sole purpose is just to stand around and do nothing and thus not contribute to his team. In a guild vs guild, or order vs chaos scenario this could be potentially game breaking.

Well, having two accounts and having an alt you actively use - say, to have a dedicated crafter and a dedicated combatant - runs against the spirit of the game, and they are trying to disincentivize it. But it is not explicitly against the rules.

What you're describing falls neatly under the heading of "cheating." So..I imagine that abuse will be stopped the same way any other type of cheating will. Forcible removal from the campaign, and possibly bans if a pattern of behavior is established.

They also seem fond of the idea of not re-using campaigns that are easily abused or not well-liked, so maybe this would just be a game mode we don't see more of. But if an entire band of the world ends up doing this to a large extent, it'll probably be resolved with the threat of punishment. -shrug-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

Nothing. There's no way they can stop people from having multiple accounts. I think you're overestimating how many people will do something like this. Besides, if one side can do it, so can other other sides, which means the net effect is minimal.

This also seems like the most likely outcome. I just don't think this will come up enough to warrant punishment beyond "well, that game mode was garbage. let's not run it again."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe they should have a system that shows how much a character is contributing for his team? Like they will be able to see that character B has been in the campaign world x hours, but has gathered x resources or participated in x battles?? Then again they said they are not against the use of bots...

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe they should have a system that shows how much a character is contributing for his team? Like they will be able to see that character B has been in the campaign world x hours, but has gathered x resources or participated in x battles?? Then again they said they are not against the use of bots...

I feel like the community will police itself on this front.

If a lot of people are doing this - like, enough people to completely block off a server - they aren't playing the game. They are dedicating themselves to what will probably end up being several months of farming alone. That sounds super boring to me, but to each their own. Some servers might be dead without people cheating to make them that way.

On the other hand, if they aren't completely blocking off the server, I imagine the people on the side getting the shaft will figure out creative ways to punish the people messing with them. Shadowbane had politics like this. There were people who snuck into other peoples' guilds with alt accounts to sow chaos from the inside on behalf of their main account's guild. It added something to the game.

Edited by goose

A guild that requires all members to have 2 accounts would be so unpopular for such heavy-handedness that they would have a hard time recruiting enough players to win campaigns. There are much more important reasons to retain a guild member than this, and much worse offenses than only owning 1 account.

And bots and macros are against the TOS. You can have multiple accounts, but you aren't allowed to control any toon with any software that wasn't written by ACE or alter their code in any way.

Edited by BurgundytheRed

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

Where did they say they are not against the use of bots? 

We don't know the exact details yet, but we can certainly expect there to be some sort of contribution metric for determining export rewards.

Where did they say they are not against the use of bots? 

We don't know the exact details yet, but we can certainly expect there to be some sort of contribution metric for determining export rewards.

I doubt this. All ACE has told us is that exports % are determined by Win / Lose / Kneel.

Guilds should be able to police their own participation standards without junking up the game code with stuff like this.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

I suspect most people will have atleast 2 accounts, due to the fact everyone will wanna spec down the combat line so there competative in pvp, and then they have an alt to craft or harvest so they can get supplies and things so they can fight.

I feel they need to make another universal tree so people can learn combat related ability (Vessels, Stealth, Seige, Tracking, Combat and armor principles and all dat)
Then the harvesting and crafting stuff.

So your able to pick one combat related skill and 1 harvesting/crafting related skill. Otherwise people will definetly have more than 1 account.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Well, having two accounts and having an alt you actively use - say, to have a dedicated crafter and a dedicated combatant - runs against the spirit of the game, and they are trying to disincentivize it. But it is not explicitly against the rules.

How exactly are they disincentivizing the use of multiple accounts? 

By only allowing VIP's to train 1 general skill (instead of 3 separate general skills similar to how VIP's can train 3 separate archetypes) and offering to play the game without subscription I would say they're actually incentivizing the use of multiple accounts. 

I personally will have at least 3 accounts (combat, crafting, harvesting) and only plan to run VIP on the combat account. That means I get a full time crafting and full time harvesting account for a one time fee of $100 ($50 per account). 

I plan to even multi box (Desktop and a Laptop) so that I can use my combat character to protect my harvester. 

If, however, they allowed the training of 3 separate general skills if you're a VIP I'd probably just run the one account since I could do a little bit of everything (but certainly still not be self sufficient because there's SO MANY different crafting and harvesting disciplines to train). 

I've brought this argument up time and time again and ACE has more or less said they see this as a design decision and they're sticking with their original design. They don't think multiple accounts will be all that prevalent (I disagree) and I doubt they plan on doing anything to dissuade people from doing it (after all, they are in this to make money and more accounts = more $). 

I feel like the community will police itself on this front.

yup I agree. Community will be big on this front. Devs can't watch everything and usually don't have a ton of sit down and play time. Stuff like this will probably be left to us.

Game will be healthy enough to where the general population of the game will want to to stay fair and not want people get ahead in terms of cheating. multiple accounts I don't mind at all due to fact if they want to fork out the money for it go ahead because it more money for ACE to give us better stuff. Based on combat in this also looks like boxing won't be any problem.

All I can say is this. If you see someone botting or suspect someone botting do your part as a community member to report it and help the game stay fun and fair.

By only allowing VIP's to train 1 general skill (instead of 3 separate general skills similar to how VIP's can train 3 separate archetypes) and offering to play the game without subscription I would say they're actually incentivizing the use of multiple accounts. 

I personally will have at least 3 accounts (combat, crafting, harvesting) and only plan to run VIP on the combat account. That means I get a full time crafting and full time harvesting account for a one time fee of $100 ($50 per account). 

I plan to even multi box (Desktop and a Laptop) so that I can use my combat character to protect my harvester. 

If, however, they allowed the training of 3 separate general skills if you're a VIP I'd probably just run the one account since I could do a little bit of everything (but certainly still not be self sufficient because there's SO MANY different crafting and harvesting disciplines to train). 

I've brought this argument up time and time again and ACE has more or less said they see this as a design decision and they're sticking with their original design. They don't think multiple accounts will be all that prevalent (I disagree) and I doubt they plan on doing anything to dissuade people from doing it (after all, they are in this to make money and more accounts = more $). 

I said they were trying to. Obviously they haven't hammered out all the details yet. There's a whole big thread where people have been discussing how they could fix it in depth, which I will link to further down.

I suspect most people will have atleast 2 accounts, due to the fact everyone will wanna spec down the combat line so there competative in pvp, and then they have an alt to craft or harvest so they can get supplies and things so they can fight.

I feel they need to make another universal tree so people can learn combat related ability (Vessels, Stealth, Seige, Tracking, Combat and armor principles and all dat)

Then the harvesting and crafting stuff.

So your able to pick one combat related skill and 1 harvesting/crafting related skill. Otherwise people will definetly have more than 1 account.

It sounds like you should join in this discussion. It's evolved since page 1, and it really started to pick up and get constructive around page...10? But I'm gonna link you to Thomas Blair's comment on it so that you go in with an idea of what they're looking to change and how you can help them do it.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/14021-sorry-i-really-think-you-need-to-gut-the-skill-tree-system/page-3#entry303336

Price. And also fun. I don't think it would be fun for me to have more accounts.

Mercenary guild is recruiting. Send me a message if you are interested.

Feel free to rely on your combat char standing there while you harvest gonna be fun to burst him down while you busy harvesting and then take your main (harvester) down after and score all the sweet sweet loot, a better option might be there to rely on an actual combat player or 2 to guard you that can actually have their attention on guarding you all the time

Problem is that is is near impossible to make a fair system like that, what about the one scout that almost never fights and dont know how to craft or harvest anything but is sneaking around and telling his side exactly where the enemy are, making it possible for the fighting force to set up the right amount of ppl at the right spots to ensure a overall victory rate. That scout could very well be amongst one of the key factors his side wins the campaign, but would almost no matter how you make a contribution system do the calculations end up near bottom in contribution

Feel free to rely on your combat char standing there while you harvest gonna be fun to burst him down while you busy harvesting and then take your main (harvester) down after and score all the sweet sweet loot, a better option might be there to rely on an actual combat player or 2 to guard you that can actually have their attention on guarding you all the time

Wrong.

My combat character will be a duelist hidden in burrow mode. My harvester will be a knight. As soon as you attack my knight I'll block  until my duelist shows up and ambushes your ass. 

Edited by blazzen

Wrong.

My combat character will be a duelist hidden in burrow mode. My harvester will be a knight. As soon as you attack my knight I'll block  until my duelist shows up and ambushes your ass. 

That's still just a 1v1. I wouldn't bet on that being an automatic free win.

This is exactly what many of us will be doing once the game goes live.  Shared harvester, leadership, and crafting accounts will be the norm.

K, let's say we do give VIP 3 general skills. What do we do about the people with multiple accounts then? 2-3 alt accounts being able to train 3 general skills each is all that's needed to be able to gather and craft what your main needs. You just gave people a way to break the economy. Congrats.