Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silhaku

Multi-account summerized

2 hours ago, Hunt said:

Well, I would hope they do implement an overall limit of time that could be trained per character based on how long the game has been out. 

yes they've said there will be a cap so it will be impossible to "overtake" and get more time than otherwise would be possible....

e.g. you couldnt pool together in the first month after game release to get someone like 6 months of training etc

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Currently I can train Armor and weapon at the same time in the Combat tree. Will this be the same way at launch?

On 12/8/2016 at 2:45 PM, Gummiel said:

Except that can be prevented it coded right, BDO did that, just running your character into a wall (or even make him run in a constant circle as well) would not progress your "stamina" skill there which was progressed simply by running. I assume the character simply had to actually be moving a certain distance away from its spot before it would progress the skill, same kind of coding could be used that there prevent it here as well I am sure.

BDO also let you create waypoints and auto-run to train your strength and stamina.  They were not against AFK skilling at all, they just wanted you to do it in their specific way.  

8 minutes ago, Tark said:

Personally I think they should ban anyone that has more than 1 account. Make it a hard rule.

There is no way they could possibly enforce this. People could use VPNs, dispute that its other family member accounts, etc. 

2 hours ago, Hunt said:

There is no way they could possibly enforce this. People could use VPNs, dispute that its other family member accounts, etc. 

I take a hard line stance. Ban them all if caught.

7 hours ago, Tark said:

I take a hard line stance. Ban them all if caught.

You are asking to ban me and my wife... :(

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

The reality may be as Suzi mentioned a little while back; a limit on clients running on the same machine...   making multi-account players also multi-box.  I currently have 2 boxes and 6 accounts but would probably buy a 3rd box if this became the case.  One for full time online vendor (crafting account), one for a footman bot (only necessary for late-night solo), and one for my main harvester (or three crafter accounts doing their thing).

We currently only have a limit of one on the launcher but no limit on the clients.

Keeping a vending store open in an EK AND playing in the campaign at the same time should not be limited like this though (requiring 2 boxes)

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

On 4/7/2018 at 2:12 PM, Frykka said:

The reality may be as Suzi mentioned a little while back; a limit on clients running on the same machine...   making multi-account players also multi-box.  I currently have 2 boxes and 6 accounts but would probably buy a 3rd box if this became the case.  One for full time online vendor (crafting account), one for a footman bot (only necessary for late-night solo), and one for my main harvester (or three crafter accounts doing their thing).

We currently only have a limit of one on the launcher but no limit on the clients.

Keeping a vending store open in an EK AND playing in the campaign at the same time should not be limited like this though (requiring 2 boxes)

A pointless waste of engineering time IMO. People are gonna multi-account. Making it physically harder to multibox doesn't prevent this, it just makes the whole process more dependent on sfotware/IT knowledge outside of the game. There is no way from the server side to verify if I'm using four physical machines or four virtual ones. If multiboxing is a problem in the game's core design, its the game itself (as in, what happens on the server) that needs to account for it.

You can't actually MAKE people multi-box, and trying to create a system in which real world wealth (the ability to buy and operate multiple physical machines) directly and intentionally translates to ingame utility (the ability to run multiple clients) actually amplifies rather than lessens the disparity between those that can and those that can not.

If multiboxing is a balance problem the solution is to design the game so that its less of a problem not to try to artificially limit the client.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

On 12/8/2016 at 5:45 PM, Zybak said:

Yep. I don't really think it's something they can effectively stop. All of the proposed solutions will just make the game worse and still result in people having multiple accounts.

At this point, there are most likely people with multiple accounts, as the rules currently does not prohibit that.  It would cause some fuss if they were told that the rules have changed

9 hours ago, Devonic said:

At this point, there are most likely people with multiple accounts, as the rules currently does not prohibit that.  It would cause some fuss if they were told that the rules have changed

I personally like the multiple account idea. It's not that I am a control freak and want to do everything myself but more of some insurance that I don't fall behind on gear if one of the guild crafters goes M.I.A

I have been in guilds in other games where I would constantly contribute and always help out and some of the crafters would flake out or quit and I ended up with nothing. It's only pixels but gets old and annoying after it happens a few times.

On 3/4/2018 at 6:19 AM, LordMockery said:

BDO also let you create waypoints and auto-run to train your strength and stamina.  They were not against AFK skilling at all, they just wanted you to do it in their specific way.  

First of that is not really the point I was giving an example that it is indeed possible to limit the running into wall to trick the afk kicker, and BDO is such an example, whether they have other options to allow you to stay online and do it, doesn't matter then.

secondly though, it actually took them quite a long time before they even added that functionality on the western servers at least, so it seems they where in fact against it in the start, but too many ppl were demanding that feature from the eastern servers

I legitimately don't think this will be a huge issue for this game.  If it was every man for themselves sure we'd have a problem but it's not.  Crowfall is built around playing with a guild and people running multiple accounts aren't going to have any advantage over an active guild.

You get a dozen or more people in a guild and you have enough to cover almost everything and that would be considered a small guild.  15 people running 3 accounts isn't going to have an advantage over 45 people running single accounts.  The biggest difference being all of those characters on single accounts can be played at once.  Even with multiboxing there's no way the multi account players are going to be as effective.  

Sure the multi account players may be able to be a bit more self sufficient with smaller numbers but when you look at faction and guild PvP that guild of 45 is going to make a much bigger difference.

Plus a lot of this matters the most right at launch and the further we go from there the less of an effect people with multiple accounts will have.

3 minutes ago, ArcJurado said:

15 people running 3 accounts isn't going to have an advantage over 45 people running single accounts.

I don't think that is the relevant comparison. Instead compare 45 people running 3 accounts each versus 45 people running single accounts.

IhhQKY6.gif

Just now, Jah said:

I don't think that is the relevant comparison. Instead compare 45 people running 3 accounts each versus 45 people running single accounts.

It is a relevant comparison as it's the same amount of accounts but even comparing those numbers, as i had mentioned in my post: 

- Once you hit a certain number of members in a guild you can effectively cover all needed specializations.

- Because people will be able to spread out in other areas over time this has the largest effect at launch and lessens over time.

- Even if they're multiboxing they're not going to be playing all of those characters effectively.

I agree, multi-account will not have a negative impact as you still need to dedicate a real amount of time to actually do things such as crafting, harvesting or farming mobs. If anything it will have a positive impact for smaller guilds that run multi accounts and dont want to roll the dice on assigning a dedicated craft to a random guildie that may not stick around. Why force a small guild or player to rely on other people. Player shops will still be a thing also, because even though you could craft everything, there will be times where it is just easier to buy/trade from someone else.

There is no way to police it anyway. Anyone could easily use multiple machines, VPN services or argue its friends or family playing from the same IP.

I think there's only really one stance to take on this.

Make it preferential to be a solo accounter and minimize the incentive to buy multiple accounts to bypass the system.

Obviously I don't really know how to do that, but I assume people generally don't do well multi-boxing these games because they're PVP, but if they can do that and succeed they kind of deserve to win because they're legitimately playing multiple characters.

I think a lot of people dont realize how cumbersome it is to run multiple accounts and that its not really an advantage. It might appear that way in pre alpha since the population is pretty low. But you are going to get way more out of teamwork and/or trade than you are going about it yourself. 

Edited by Tark

As long as you have to choose between combat, gathering, and crafting (and even for VIPs, especially if the 2nd track is slower) it will always be beneficial to have a second account building up time.  You can just use that first account as a combat/gatherer and the second account as a crafter and you have now increased your potential without any downside to where you spend your play time. 

In fact, that might be preferential with significant build times even if they rearrange things.  Second screen crafter in the EK while you wait 4 hours for something to build? Take your combat/gatherer out and do some farming or pvp.  It's a different story for people trying to actually multibox in the world environment, but it's not hard to see how multiple accounts would be beneficial in a crafting aspect.  You can expand this too, maybe you don't want to have an account for every profession, but what if you had one for Way of the Leader to sit there and buff your crafter?  What if you had one to specialize on a trade, and one to go "wide" so you could make the basics in every profession?  

To clarify I don't think it's the biggest problem because the main aspect out there, the pvp, multiboxing won't be beneficial and would probably be detrimental because of armor durability hits.  But to say it has no benefit at all in this environment is not true.