Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silhaku

Multi-account summerized

3 hours ago, Tark said:

I think a lot of people dont realize how cumbersome it is to run multiple accounts and that its not really an advantage. It might appear that way in pre alpha since the population is pretty low. But you are going to get way more out of teamwork and/or trade than you are going about it yourself. 

Tark is right.  An individual with 5 accounts could easily spend a couple hours a day maintaining them.  Yes they will have more options but in the end the amount of effort to accomplish something is less for multiple people.  

I feel the game is for better or worst is being geared towards multiple accounts, as a character that invests heavily in crafting will be not be able to train combat professions and visa versa to make them optimally good at crafting or combat. Therefore i would think most would need two accounts to be relevant, a combat account and a crafting account. My only question is if you will be able to double box clients on one PC to be able to trade things back and forth with your crafter? If not i think it may put a bit of a kybosh on this model. 

13 hours ago, Vonsnazzy said:

I feel the game is for better or worst is being geared towards multiple accounts, as a character that invests heavily in crafting will be not be able to train combat professions and visa versa to make them optimally good at crafting or combat. Therefore i would think most would need two accounts to be relevant, a combat account and a crafting account. My only question is if you will be able to double box clients on one PC to be able to trade things back and forth with your crafter? If not i think it may put a bit of a kybosh on this model. 

You can always double box on one PC. Its just a matter of whether or not you need some virtual machine software to do so. Software is incapable of telling the difference between a real physical machine or one emulated by software.

As I noted earlier in the thread there is no reason to waste time, as a developer, on preventing people from running multiple clients because, well, you can't, and people can still just pop open a laptop. You really can't (and IMO shouldn't) try to stop people from playing multiple accounts, and for this reason the only operable design goal is to make your game more efficient with real friends than with yourself behind multiple accounts. In general crowfall does a pretty good job of this. You can't effectively harvest on two accounts at once, or engage in combat, even with keyclone macro setups. You need two players. At best you can have multiple accounts to do various crafting and also skill combat but even then, you're way less efficient than having more players simply because of the resource harvesting. About the only 100% upgrade for having those accounts currently is storage space and crafting leadership. The rest is basically nice to have but you'd be waaaay better off just making a friend.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Ultimately, it comes down to the reality that having multiple accounts in CF is little different than having multiple characters in basically any other MMO.  The primary difference being the ability to trade directly between characters without having to utilize some sort of account-bank to do so.

I haven't seen ANYTHING in the CF Combat System that lends itself to the "Team Wizzy" style of multi-boxing, focus fire 1-man bomb squads. 

It's simply not viable to actively run 2 accounts at the same time, even with one on a laptop next to you.  Even just trying to run the 2 characters to a location would be more cumbersome than anything.

The only real benefit to Multi-Account in CF is for self sufficiency.  Say you want to be a Ranger, and you want to focus the combat tree for obvious reasons.  Well, you also want to be able to craft yourself a solid bow, and suit of leather.  With 1 account, you're completely hamstrung as you need to be training Combat + 2 Harvesting Professions + 2 Crafting professions and you STILL need help from a miner/blacksmith for subcomponents (not to mention your melee weapons.

Now say, you run 2 accounts.  One is the Ranger with a focus in Combat and Logging/Skinning.  The other Mines and handles Woodworking/Leatherworking.  What advantage have you gained?  The ability to mostly craft your own gear without the need to rely on someone else (other than still needing Blacksmithing until you're able to break into that tree as well).

In a game that is designed for Guilds, most of which will have an organized system of coordinating who handles what harvests/crafts, this "advantage" amounts to little more than the ability to be anti-social if you choose.  It's not going to lead to some crazy game-breaking advantage.  It's not going to lead to one of the characters being more powerful than intended.

The fact that the same limit applies, regardless, to any one character for how fast they can train combat, there's really no meaningful difference between a person playing 1 account, combat focused, backed by a guild with organized Crafting/Harvesting (which will be the majority) and a person playing 3 accounts, using their own "alts" to perform the same crafting.  Sure, that individual may not have to wait for said guildy to be online or coordinate the effort, but the end result is still the same Character with the same Combat Skills equipping the same gear.

If anything, it will allow smaller groups/guilds to remain viably competitive with larger guilds by virtue of being able to have all of the Crafting and Harvesting professions covered.  They will still be outnumbered, but at least they can maintain a level of parity in terms of gear availability, theoretically, obviously not counting for the fact that more members = more man power = more harvested resources to work with, countered by more "mouths to feed" if you will.

2s922vm.png

Chapter Leader

On 5/25/2018 at 2:40 PM, Diz said:

The only real benefit to Multi-Account in CF is for self sufficiency. 

I have always tried to be self sufficient in most of the games that I have played and I thought this game wouldn't be any different.  Personally as someone who has multiple accounts in this game.... I have found that the advantage that you think you might get is not worth it at all!  At first it seems great because you're hyped that you will eventually be able to make most of the stuff yourself across multiple accounts but eventually that novelty wears off quickly. It becomes tedious, time consuming and you no longer experience that same sense of pride in being able to make everything yourself. Having multiple accounts requires a tremendous amount of RL time to gather everything you need, trade stuff between accounts and craft your gear. You end up spending the entire campaign harvesting/crafting instead of PvPing.  I didn't realize how much of a time sink this was until I joined a group of active players that each has their own crafting specialty. This game has become much more enjoyable now that the tasks have been split across multiple people that share the same goal in gearing everyone up equally and quickly within their guild so everyone stands a fighting chance in PvP. I hope this helps anyone reading this that was concerned if multi-account players will have a big advantage over single account players.