Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coolwaters

Crowfall in VR

Since this made it in under the Kickstarter as a stretch goal, and given the improvements in VR this year, I figure it might be fun to mess around with. Only in the EK or for giggles, but why not?

If the HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift go on sale I may pick one up. No idea which would be better.

The VR wasn't that late in the KS: 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo?ref=nav_search

I wonder at what point it will be in?

edit: there's a decent deal for the Rift now:

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Pc/dp/B01MRU7AOR?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIPK5F55TNVMRHSZQ&tag=bgwr1b-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MRU7AOR

Edited by coolwaters

I know that Oculus Rift was specifically promised during KS because Unity 5 already supported it, but I would wait because:

1. If another brand came out that was much better or cost efficient AND was supported by Unity, ACE would be foolish not to support the new device.
  2. It's likely to be quite a while before CF test worlds actually support Oculus Rift.
  3. Keeping that money invested is likely to let it accrue earnings (grow).
  4. By the time you can use it on CF, someone else will be selling one used and cheaper anyway.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

Got the oculus DK2, its very nice to see but to be honest i havent found a game yet i would use it constantly for.

Mostly catching dust atm.

However i wouold love to see crowfall work with it. but if i'm gonna use it permanently for crowfall... i dunno

Got the oculus DK2, its very nice to see but to be honest i havent found a game yet i would use it constantly for.

Mostly catching dust atm.

However i wouold love to see crowfall work with it. but if i'm gonna use it permanently for crowfall... i dunno

Ok, well, you've all convinced me to wait. But the minute VR is a thing in CF I think I've got to try it. As heavy invested in this game as some of us are it just doesn't make sense not to give it a chance.

VR will be rather simple to add. In fact its extemely easy to add VR to an existing game engine if you dont care about optimization. All you would theoratically have to do is adding 2 camera's instead of 1, for each eye. Which is something unity 5 probably automatically does anyways.

Usually the real problem is optimizing the VR. Its not easy yet its also - theoratically- very optimisable.  Since %70 of the things you see are common in both eyes. But because of the way geometry is rendered it still requires those common parts to be rendered seperately. 

There are also some tricks, such as rendering common part single time then applying simple transformation for each eye, which harms the quality a little bit but significantly boosts performance.

Well i think im already out of topic by far. I guess ive been lonely for too long. And yes all my knowledge comes from free googling time, i am a student under computer science but dont get me wrong, they tought us absolutely nothing about VR in university so far. I did, however learn a thing or two about rendering when i was trying to learn how to use OpenGL.