Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClockworkOrange

Auto Aim and Range - Debate GO

I wanted to start a discussion on both auto aim and range in general. I often end up choosing a caster type class and in MMO type games where aim matters I almost always choose the ranged class.

That brings me to my two issues I currently see with that right now. The first is the fact there is a huge auto-aim mechanic to many of the skills. I have been playing confessor quite a bit on the alpha and your 1, 2 and 4 skills have a huge auto aim mechanic. I personally would like to see this go away. If 4 is my highest damage spell, why does it take almost no skill to land it?

The second problem I see is there isn't much range to classes. I might be wrong about this considering I am basing this mostly off confessor, but my abilities have no range to them at all. The 3 ability where you charge up a fireball and launch it goes absolutely nowhere. This upsets me as classes like the confessor are typically the ones firing nukes off or onto castle walls during a siege. As they are right now they will be waiting with the rest of the melee classes to do anything until the walls are broken.

Hopefully they will add Frostweaver next because the ranged DPS classes are currently lacking. Most people are playing melee or confessor at this point.

no auto aim!

never... ever!

confessor have no auto aim. they just temporarily (I hope) make LMB attacks on confessor as insta rays. that's why they are OP atm

next class will be templar. probably after templar, they will add stalker (classic ranger?)

Edited by makkon

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

I doubt Crowfall will ever use actual auto aim. They'll likely use projectile magnetism to have projectiles get sucked in to the closest target within a certain threshold. This pretty much has to happen to some degree for lag reasons. Even peer-to-peer games with locally matched players have bullet magnetism mechanics.

Edited by Zybak

This pretty much has to happen to some degree for lag reasons. Even peer-to-peer games with locally matched players have bullet magnetism mechanics.

Uh... no. It doesn't have to happen. 

Darkfall had sieges of over a hundred people throwing magic and performed fine. Long distance nuke syncs were a thing.

The range on ranged attacks is atrocious but right now, with performance as it is, if they switched to true projectiles instead of this ray-cast thing, no one would hit anything. I'd like to see longer distance ranged attacks but only after they improve performance. 

aka honeybear

I wanted to start a discussion on both auto aim and range in general. I often end up choosing a caster type class and in MMO type games where aim matters I almost always choose the ranged class.

That brings me to my two issues I currently see with that right now. The first is the fact there is a huge auto-aim mechanic to many of the skills. I have been playing confessor quite a bit on the alpha and your 1, 2 and 4 skills have a huge auto aim mechanic. I personally would like to see this go away. If 4 is my highest damage spell, why does it take almost no skill to land it?

The second problem I see is there isn't much range to classes. I might be wrong about this considering I am basing this mostly off confessor, but my abilities have no range to them at all. The 3 ability where you charge up a fireball and launch it goes absolutely nowhere. This upsets me as classes like the confessor are typically the ones firing nukes off or onto castle walls during a siege. As they are right now they will be waiting with the rest of the melee classes to do anything until the walls are broken.

Hopefully they will add Frostweaver next because the ranged DPS classes are currently lacking. Most people are playing melee or confessor at this point.

The issue is the UI that hasn't been smoothed out and polished. The range indicator is veeeery tiny so you have to keep looking right at it.

Also there's very little tooltips yet. Its sort of a trial and error for the range on them. Tinnis's website has alot of this information.

Example would be most of the confessors abilities go to 40 yards awhile her LMB is 30. Also her LMB is currently bugged and doesn't register in the hit box correctly alot of the time. Also, the LMB isn't instant travel, it just feels like it is because its fast, the animation itself is slightly off as well so its a good thing its so fast.

Once they address this it will feel alot smoother and responsive, this goes for alot of the ranged abilities, they haven't added the polish work on it. It will get better and be really great. Patiences. :)

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

I see everyone typing there is no auto-aim. But there definitely is some sort of auto aim component to the 1 skill, 2 skill and 4 skill of the confessor. I would like to pretend I am that good, but I am clearly getting assistance.

Also, the LMB isn't instant travel, it just feels like it is because its fast, the animation itself is slightly off as well so its a good thing its so fast.

The LMB is instant travel, it works like a ray. It is obvious in this fact because if you miss your target when you click it the fireball ignores the Y axis and won't travel up or down. If you connect when you LMB the animation goes right to the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGvCfDAaSO4

This video shows what I am talking about.

No auto-aim now nor ever, please.  

The "auto-aim" you're referring to on the current confessor isn't auto-aim. The LMB uses ray-cast, so as long as your cursor is over the target when you activate the LMB, it will hit them, even if they move in the short time it takes for the visual effect to travel to them it will follow, which gives the illusion of auto-aim. 

Confessor "1" uses the same mechanic. 

Confessor "2" doesn't affect anyone but yourself unless you chain it in to a combo, in which case both are AoE powers so auto-aim isn't a factor. I do think that the width of Confessor "2-2-2" should be shrunk to about 4-5 meters instead of it's current effect, which seems like the width of the entire screen.  

Confessor "4" is the same as "1", it's instant-cast on the target under your reticle when you activate the power, with server lag and desync giving the illusion of auto-aiming should the target not stay stationary from the time it's cast until the damage registers.  

On their range, the Confessor is a mid-range DPS archetype so it makes sense their powers aren't extremely long-ranged. That being said, I think the Confessor's meteor should be the lone power that travels further than 35 meters; I would like to see it travel at least 60 because the projectile speed is slow enough that someone who saw it coming would be able to easily move out of the way so it wouldn't make the power OP in any sense, it would add more utility to it, though. 

Edited by chodie

Hg0LXwa.png

I see everyone typing there is no auto-aim. But there definitely is some sort of auto aim component to the 1 skill, 2 skill and 4 skill of the confessor. I would like to pretend I am that good, but I am clearly getting assistance.

The LMB is instant travel, it works like a ray. It is obvious in this fact because if you miss your target when you click it the fireball ignores the Y axis and won't travel up or down. If you connect when you LMB the animation goes right to the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGvCfDAaSO4

This video shows what I am talking about.

I think you confuse auto-aim for huge hit boxes. Specially for the #1 key. 

And that video shows how the LMB is bugged, its not supposed to fire stuck on the Y Axis. At least, i would think it shouldn't.

This is the reason while on uneven ground it will shoot over their head even though you are directly targetting them, theres some sort of soft targetting thats bugging out and not detecting the hit boxes. 

On the boars the hit box is extremely tiny and its centered between their eyes.

CfWBSig.png

Def want smaller hitboxes

Projectiles on most abilities. a Ray or 2 isnt bad....not on LMB tho

Raise the skill cap a bit everything seems just faceroll easy right now to land. They will def need to work on the networking tho its a Lagfest out there.

edit: There def feels like some kind of soft targeting in the game. that or hitboxes are even bigger than i think

Edited by wor

Grief-super-small.png

https://twitch.TV/Badatron  

https://www.GriefGaming.pro

I play a Confessor a lot and there is no auto-aim, LMB and some of the other powers are instant travel.

Pulling-off a successful meteor purge (#3) on a moving target is so satisfying, you have to correctly aim ahead. More likely you coordinate with your group and there is a stun in progress on your target and it works a treat.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

I might be mistaking auto-aim for huge hit boxes, which is a different problem. The 2-2-2 is basically impossible to miss. Even the 1-1 and the 4 seem too easy to hit. It seems like both the 1-1 and 4 will hit the target even if they are 2 bodies to the left or right of where they are actually standing.

Edited by mastakane

Pulling-off a successful meteor purge (#3) on a moving target is so satisfying, you have to correctly aim ahead. More likely you coordinate with your group and there is a stun in progress on your target and it works a treat.

I like the idea of the meteor purge (#3) but it is lacking in its current form. It needs more range or more damage or an even bigger AOE splash (maybe a combination of the 3). Right now, I feel like you are better off using LMB as you will do almost the same dmg and be building stacks of SIN for your 4 and 5 skills.

I like the idea of the meteor purge (#3) but it is lacking in its current form. It needs more range or more damage or an even bigger AOE splash (maybe a combination of the 3). Right now, I feel like you are better off using LMB as you will do almost the same dmg and be building stacks of SIN for your 4 and 5 skills.

Meteor purge also applies Black Mantle debuff "If charged over 66% will apply: Black Mantle debuff that prevents up to 5000 healing on targets hit" which comes in handy when going against a tank backed up by a lego. 

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

Meteor purge also applies Black Mantle debuff "If charged over 66% will apply: Black Mantle debuff that prevents up to 5000 healing on targets hit" which comes in handy when going against a tank backed up by a lego. 

I appreciate you pointing out that I am an idiot that can't read his skills. Somehow you managed to do it in a nice informative way too.

I take back all that bad stuff I said about Meteor Purge. Wait.... It still needs more range.

No auto-aim now nor ever, please.  

The "auto-aim" you're referring to on the current confessor isn't auto-aim. The LMB uses ray-cast, so as long as your cursor is over the target when you activate the LMB, it will hit them, even if they move in the short time it takes for the visual effect to travel to them it will follow, which gives the illusion of auto-aim. 

That sounds completely terrible. That's not action combat.

I'm hoping Stalker is the only super-long range archetype we get. We sincerely do not need "nukes" from 60+ custard meters away.

Dont worry... no one will hit anything from that range :)

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos