Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eternal kingdom and WALLS !

Ok so if i understand it well ... EK Eternal kingdom is peaceful place to trade, craft, socialize where nobody can attack you , steal, kill you , jump on your corpse, bring ex-your pig to trump your weak body with weight from ex-your resources ....

But ahmm .. Why we have to build Walls around town if you dont have to defend from anything?

Wall is normaly used to keep something from one side of it, enemy, weather, prisoners ... fans ... journalists ... WAAAGH!! .... 

so If i declare my EK to be PvP i dont think any crafter will come in so the wall is of no use as there is nothing to protect in my castle ....

if i declare it to be no kill zone to get crafters buyers, merchant tralls, travelers, girls etc .... i dont need walls at all ....

Decoration ... oook but i really want people to move around easy to get a BIG market in middle of EK ... walls here just dont fit except if it is good to put around so crafters cannot get lost all over ....

So ahmmm ... anyone can find a reason do we need walls for anything usefull in EK, or they are just for decoration?

You don't have to use walls in your kingdom. If you don't like them, don't build/place them.

You can activate/deactivate PvP and destruction (siege training?) based on single parcels. So you can have both PvP and PvE in your kingdom if you want to.

Next.

;)

2W1ZHpA.jpg
EU-Support-Guild (no ingame management)
Join [CoR] (or any other guild) to get a 10% discount on the next game bundle you buy!
Join - Discord Channel 

I agree with you Silverion.

If you have fans you might need them though x D. Jk. 

I think your topic is valid simply because the walls would mainly be used if you declare your kingdom pvp. In which case, It's less likely that you'll benefit from crafters etc. 

Perhaps, we will see more items such as statues, roads, lamps, whatever decoration it might be that will be released to put in the parcels.

I would agree that there is a thematic issue.

Why would Crows build walls and other military fortifications in places that cannot be attacked? The lore here doesn't seem to make sense.

We can pay thousands of dollars to buy castles and walls for our EKs where they serve no purpose. It will be strange when people realize that those expensive walls serve no function and just get in the way of EK customers who are trying to efficiently move from shop to shop.

That said, I think thematic reasons for walls in EKs could be invented.

IhhQKY6.gif

My reason for having walls is they look cool. Its not a castle without walls! That is enough for me.

If you want more practical reasons though...

- Tourism: People who are too poor to afford their own fancy walled cities will want to visit people who can. 

- Flaunting of Wealth: If you look rich, you are more likely to attract the wealthy. 

- Organization: You can use them to sort your market districts by type of goods sold, races allowed, whatever. You could have a fancy invite only region.

- Privacy: This depends on how the chat system is created, but you could have a private walled off area for secret dealings. (yeah, you could have a private channel and accomplish the same thing, but this could be more fun). 

- Practice: We'll be able to build castles in campaign worlds. I'd much rather practice and design my plan in safety before putting it into effect. (And who knows, maybe you will be able to sell castle patterns)

- PVE: As Sanctuary demonstrates, you could disable PVP but still have PVE combat. Walls will keep those monsters from attacking your customers. 

How's that? ;)

My reason for having walls is they look cool. Its not a castle without walls! That is enough for me.

To me, it's not a castle unless it has a defensive purpose. Without such a purpose, it is a folly.

Of the things you listed, defense against raiding monsters is closest to filling that thematic gap.

IhhQKY6.gif

- PVE: As Sanctuary demonstrates, you could disable PVP but still have PVE combat. Walls will keep those monsters from attacking your customers. 

that will be really SUPERB .. EK as PvE playground, winter comes ... snow cover all and you hear howls of hungry wolfs in distance ... still your Pig is so slow it moves step by step every step like eternity, will you bring this load to trade city ... question is in your head as wind is stronger and you feel cold grip around your heart ...

Now i can imagine why walls  ,,,

Edited by Silverion

I could also see some ppl use walls to create labyrinths for other ppl to try and get through (and maybe have prices to those that manage to do it), You would be surprised what ppl can come up with when you give them freedom in a house area (which is essentially what EK's are), some of the things ppl build in the house areas in Wildstar were incredible, hope we will be able to achieve similar stuff here

Why would Crows build walls and other military fortifications in places that cannot be attacked? The lore here doesn't seem to make sense.

We can pay thousands of dollars to buy castles and walls for our EKs where they serve no purpose. It will be strange when people realize that those expensive walls serve no function and just get in the way of EK customers who are trying to efficiently move from shop to shop.

Sometimes things just are, for aesthetics sake or game play (general).

Like being able to SWIM (in some games) faster than a fish while wearing full chain mail and leathers, steel weapons and boots.  There's no sense to that, but we all understand why it's implemented.

The classic aesthetic out of Medieval history are larger towns and cities having walls.  For now we could say it's mostly Aesthetic then, and enough of an explanation IMO.  Though some just above point out some creative use for thematic organization of areas within the walls.

Down the road if the game evolves further to the point the walls might provide more of a functional use, they are already present and ready to use. 

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Kingdom walls suggest a big wall around the Keep and outlying shops and houses. They wouldn't get in the way going shop to shop. They may not serve a functional purpose at this moment but it does give you a border for the "town" in your kingdom.

could I have my fellow crows kite in some monsters for me as I build the walls around them ?

Great PVE guards .... question if I kite the kell cat to my EK and then lock them away. When killed would they respawn there or back to their original location? (got a feeling original location but ... man that could be fun to create some low lvl material nodes in my own EK) 

Edited by anhrezcf

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png