Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know it's early... BUT!

I understand we're SO early into the game but has anyone maybe thought that crowfall could have like a tournament by the end of the year with prize money? (From the official release date ofc)

I comprehend that there is so much work to be done from the skill tree, uploading more archtypes, fixing bugs etc.

But, let's think this for a moment whenever there are competetive tournaments it not only brings in more money for the company but also more popularity! Competetive players will give the game more publicity-- which is good.

I don't know about you but a tournament idea definately hypes me up for the game!!

Its in the plan, was a stretch goal actually. Previous campaign winners will be able to battle each other in a special tournament style CW.

Its in the plans for after launch, to clarify. Doing something during Alpha or Beta? No that would be a huge waste of time and resources.

Edited by pang

Its not early, the game is already 2 years in development now, and the progress isnt there.

A tournament at this stage the game is at wouldnt make sense and isnt even possible, because everything that would be needed for that is still missing, if you think for a tournament in an actual campaign world, which is part of the intended final game. But a tournament within the Hunger Dome or the second game test mode would be possible maybe.

I wouldnt care about that and I dont think the would be much benefits.

They got to get the game done and done right.

Thats most important now, because they are far beyond any schedule.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Its not early, the game is already 2 years in development now, and the progress isnt there.

2 years are VERY early in development of a game, specially MMO's, most games at this stage would barely if at all been announced, let alone letting in thousands of players, if any at all

2 years are VERY early in development of a game, specially MMO's, most games at this stage would barely if at all been announced, let alone letting in thousands of players, if any at all

MMOs take an average of 4 years to develop.  Crowfall is *way* ahead of that, and will probably be ready for launch after 3 years.

You are comparing apples with tomatos.

You are talking about MMOs with PvE content and their own engine. Crowfall doesnt have any of that.

There isnt any PvE content which takes most of the time of creating an MMO usually.

Also they arent creating their own engine for the game or anything. They are using Unity Engine.

Considering that, as well as with the scale of the game and the resources they got, they are pretty far behind any schedule, at least over half a year at best.

The resources they got are very decent to make a game the scale of Crowfall. They got really enough funding to make Crowfall without any financial issues.

So if you look at all that, then its not very encouraging with Crowfall currently.

Edited by Urahara

You are comparing apples with tomatos.

You are talking about MMOs with PvE content and their own engine. Crowfall doesnt have any of that.

There isnt any PvE content which takes most of the time of creating an MMO usually.

Also they arent creating their own engine for the game or anything. They are using Unity Engine.

Considering that, as well as with the scale of the game and the resources they got, they are pretty far behind any schedule, at least over half a year at best.

The resources they got are very decent to make a game the scale of Crowfall. They got really enough funding to make Crowfall without any financial issues.

So if you look at all that, then its not very encouraging with Crowfall currently.

This opinion seems to be in the extreme minority. 

And he said a average, which is a fair guess since some MMOs gets delayed 2-3 years with a dozen delayed launch dates. ACE has had a single push back.

I am really not sure what context you are basing that opinion that 'far' is 6 months, thats a minor delay in the game development industry. 

They are extremely happy with their development pace and the sole fact they continue to find investors both private or public and continue to find license agreements is a clear sign they are making great progress. All of that has to be exposed when approaching investors because its a worry, its a ROI, it all has to look promising for them to consider investing.

CfWBSig.png

No that just states basic or proper knowledge of game development.

You got any idea how long it takes to create PvE content and an own engine?

You got to do story writing, quest design, voice acting, map design, game balancing and so much more. The amount of work PvE content needs is multiple times higher than PvP content.

Take Guildwars 2 for example. If GW 2 would only consist of the structured PvP and the Open-World-PvP, the game would haven been finished in less than half the time they took for GW 2, because the PvE content took much more time and effort.

3 years for a game the scale of Crowfall would already be very much.

There is no engine they are creating or PvE content, they are basically just have to create game content. No framework or anything, just get the game done, thats really much less than other game developing projects have to do. And they got all the financial support they need too.

Of course its not easy to create an MMO game, but if they are so called industry veterans, this shouldnt be much of an issue. So for considering all this, there isnt much praise you could be giving Crowfall by now.

Also game development is much easier today than 6 years ago, there are really many improvements in comparison, and former difficult tasks became much easier.

Edited by Urahara

You got to do story writing, quest design, voice acting, map design, game balancing and so much more. The amount of work PvE content needs is multiple times higher than PvP content.

Take Guildwars 2 for example. If GW 2 would only consist of the structured PvP and the Open-World-PvP, the game would haven been finished in less than half the time they took for GW 2, because the PvE content took much more time and effort.

There is no engine they are creating or PvE content, they are basically just have to create game content. No framework or anything, just get the game done, thats really much less than other game developing projects have to do. And they got all the financial support they need too.

Of course its not easy to create an MMO game, but if they are so called industry veterans, this shouldnt be much of an issue. So for considering all this, there isnt much praise you could be giving Crowfall by now.

Also game development is much easier today than 6 years ago, there are really many improvements in comparison, and former difficult tasks became much easier.

With all due respect I do believe you're talking out of your backside, to be blunt.

Edited by pang

Interesting.

With all this knowledge of game development im amazed you haven't developed your own game, or at least been hired to help a game.

Although since nearly everyone disagrees with you, from professional developers, to investors, to people who review the game every few months( a number of youtubers)......im not sure i would hire you.

With all due respect I do believe you're talking out of your backside to be blunt.

Dat comment though....

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

Thats not  a tone that is appreciated.

All I am stating is my free opinion and some known facts.

If you dont like it thats the wrong way to go about it.

Creating your own engine and such takes much time, look at Camelot Unchained.

And PvE content takes much more time as PvP content.

Edited by Urahara

Thats not  a tone that is appreciated.

All I am stating is my free opinion and some known facts.

If you dont like it thats the wrong way to go about it.

Creating your own engine and such takes much time, look at Camelot Unchained.

And PvE content takes much more time as PvP content.

If your "facts" are so well known, you might want to be so kind as to state your sources

I do think you are making some gross miss-assumptions and drawing wrong conclusions.

Although ACE are using a COTS graphics engine Unity3D - they have invested resources in developing technology that can use this engine to produce procedural parcel terrain generation that can be 'stitched' together to form larger terrain maps.  Ace also have produced technology which they have termed a 'history simulator' to age and modify the land. AI configurable rule sets is another technology that has been developed for easy MOB control and scripting. Scripted rule sets for AT behavior, making them easily re-configurable. The list goes on. 

ACE are developing reusable technology and tools that not only can be used for Crowfall but  can be used for future games, They are a small technology company that are investing in technology that can be used to make future games quickly and easily.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

I do think you are making some gross miss-assumptions and drawing wrong conclusions.

Although ACE are using a COTS graphics engine Unity3D - they have invested resources in developing technology that can use this engine to produce procedural parcel terrain generation that can be 'stitched' together to form larger terrain maps.  Ace also have produced technology which they have termed a 'history simulator' to age and modify the land. AI configurable rule sets is another technology that has been developed for easy MOB control and scripting. Scripted rule sets for AT behavior, making them easily re-configurable. The list goes on. 

ACE are developing reusable technology and tools that not only can be used for Crowfall but  can be used for future games, They are a small technology company that are investing in technology that can be used to make future games quickly and easily.

Well put.

Unity is a tool, and like alot of tools you create inside them something that is more than the sum of its parts. 

The flexibility of unity is sort of its downsides, theres so much you CAN do with it that theres no clear way to execute with it. Theres not just a bunch of templates you can drag and drop to make a game, you have to create them. (or get them from someone else)

But back to topic. I think a battle-off may still be farfetched. They have not started balancing for the archetypes so unfortunately anything put together will be heavily one-sided for a few archetypes.

I thank its a great idea, just not quite  yet!

CfWBSig.png