Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Debating On This Headset

Handies

Currently I have the 2013 Astro A40. 

I am looking for a new headset. I tend to always be using a headset and I tend to go through them. I am looking to get a just as good backup headset. I do have a dedicated sound card.  I have the Creative ZXR and it can power up to 600ohms. Does anyone have this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106695  and use it with a dedicated sound card? What do you think about it?

Edited by handies

I don't have that headset but I do have the Sennheiser HD 518 headphones and they are the most comfortable headphones that I've owned.  I wear glasses so "on-ear" headsets/phones always gave me ear fatigue after awhile.  If you've never experienced this, it is due to the top of the ear pressing against the temples of the glasses from the pressure of the cans.  It was annoying to say the least.  But the HD 518 are circumaural which is great.

You could probably find something pretty decent for cheaper though if you're not looking to spend close to 200 bucks (depending on if you find a deal somewhere).

Between dreams and reality.

Lantern Watch

For years I always split my game audio thru my 5.1 speaker setup and voice comm thru a USB headset.  Terrible way of doing it.

Little over a year ago I finally went back to a 3.5mm headset, the Steelseries Siberia v2.  I have been very impressed with the quality of this headset for the price.  And it allows me to have both game audio and voice together (those sad USB headsets did not).  It might be a little cheap compared to your Astro, but I think it's decent.

I do have a Sound Blaster Z.  People make fun of me because "on-board audio is just as good."

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

For years I always split my game audio thru my 5.1 speaker setup and voice comm thru a USB headset.  Terrible way of doing it.

Little over a year ago I finally went back to a 3.5mm headset, the Steelseries Siberia v2.  I have been very impressed with the quality of this headset for the price.  And it allows me to have both game audio and voice together (those sad USB headsets did not).  It might be a little cheap compared to your Astro, but I think it's decent.

I do have a Sound Blaster Z.  People make fun of me because "on-board audio is just as good."

Onboard audio is not "just as good" Maybe if those people actually bought a sound card, they would see that.

I've the Asus wireless which I need to recharge every 6 hours for 2 hours of gameplay which is fine, but I don't recommend wireless.

But it was a perfect solution for me since the pc is far away.

MQfHl7c.png

Use a good pair of headphones and a decent microphone, don't bother with a headset. They're overpriced and generally lower quality.

I have both setups and depending on how good your mic is, you can pick up a lot of background noise.  So keep that in mind if you are going that route.

I have this mic:

prod_img_pg42_l.jpg

And these headphones:

square_louped_hd_518_01_sq_sennheiser.pn

Lantern Watch

Use a good pair of headphones and a decent microphone, don't bother with a headset. They're overpriced and generally lower quality.

depends on what you're trying to do :)

20€ headsets can be crystal clear in voicecom and are more than enough for the average gamer.

depends on what you're trying to do :)

20€ headsets can be crystal clear in voicecom and are more than enough for the average gamer.

That is true. Just don't pay more than that for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have that headset but I do have the Sennheiser HD 518 headphones and they are the most comfortable headphones that I've owned.  I wear glasses so "on-ear" headsets/phones always gave me ear fatigue after awhile.  If you've never experienced this, it is due to the top of the ear pressing against the temples of the glasses from the pressure of the cans.  It was annoying to say the least.  But the HD 518 are circumaural which is great.

You could probably find something pretty decent for cheaper though if you're not looking to spend close to 200 bucks (depending on if you find a deal somewhere).

I too use a set of sennheisers and a analog mic with a on off switch

best setup you can have imho

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

When you buy a headset this expensive you are pretty much paying for the name. It is like Beats by Dre.... If you want a headset with awesome sound quality and amazing microphone get a Thrustmaster. These are amazing I got them on sale for 49.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=00Z-012R-00001

Edited by santa

When you buy a headset this expensive you are pretty much paying for the name. It is like Beats by Dre.... If you want a headset with awesome sound quality and amazing microphone get a Thrustmaster. These are amazing I got them on sale for 49.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=00Z-012R-00001

False.  Are you one of the people that believe that their is no reason to buy a sound card? Do you believe there is no reason to go Intel? Just because you do not see reasoning, that does not mean it makes no sense.

False.  Are you one of the people that believe that their is no reason to buy a sound card? Do you believe there is no reason to go Intel? Just because you do not see reasoning, that does not mean it makes no sense.

Sound quality is pretty much the exact same. Try them both out and you will see. I do admit the Senn is more comfortable but not enough to spent double...

Sound quality is pretty much the exact same. Try them both out and you will see. I do admit the Senn is more comfortable but not enough to spent double...

Depends on how much you value comfort.  I'd rather pay more for a good set of headphones that are amazingly comfortable than shuffle through set after set of cheap uncomfortable ones.  I did that for years before I finally just got fed up with it all.

Lantern Watch

The difference between my ZXR and my onboard is night and day. 

Which onboard chip do you have? The sound from my ASRock Fatal1ty Killer - Purity Sound™ 2 is fantastic.

you must have a tin eardrum.

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg