Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New resource parcels discussion

jasta85

http://crowfall.com/en/news/new-parcels-offered-in-holiday-sale/

So, we have 3 new parcels.  They give the most basic resources as you need to get the higher value ones in campaigns.  There are currently 3 types

grove - wood

hill - wood and stone

creek - wood, stone and metal

What I find interesting is that wood is the only resource that you get an individual parcel for (for now), and metal can only be gotten on the node where you get all the resources.

Also, given that it seems to be the most common resource, wood seems to be the most multi-purpose resource.  It is probably used to make weapons, buildings and tools.  Stone is probably only used to build buildings and metal is probably just used for tools and weapons.

Also, for the creek node, does it give the same amount of resources as the grove, just those resources are split between all 3?  or does it give more overall resources?  For example say the grove parcel gives 100 wood when completely harvested, does the creek give 33 wood, 33 stone and 33 metal?  or does it give more?

Would be some interesting things to know when it comes to harvesting.  Anyway, since these are on sale I'll be picking up a few, even common resources will be useful in building your EK.

So, we have 3 new parcels.  They give the most basic resources as you need to get the higher value ones in campaigns.  There are currently 3 types

grove - wood

hill - wood and stone

What I find interesting is that wood is the only resource that you get an individual parcel for (for now), and metal can only be gotten on the node where you get all the resources.

Also, given that it seems to be the most common resource, wood seems to be the most multi-purpose resource.  It is probably used to make weapons, buildings and tools.  Stone is probably only used to build buildings and metal is probably just used for tools and weapons.

Also, for the creek node, does it give the same amount of resources as the grove, just those resources are split between all 3?  or does it give more overall resources?  For example say the grove parcel gives 100 wood when completely harvested, does the creek give 33 wood, 33 stone and 33 metal?  or does it give more?

Would be some interesting things to know when it comes to harvesting.  Anyway, since these are on sale I'll be picking up a few, even common resources will be useful in building your EK.

I think you are over thinking this.

EK resources are going to be two things.

Crappy and limited by individuals ability to spend time and skill harvesting.  That's the gate.  Resource re-spawn time is not really that relevant.   100 or 33/33/33, your going to see re-spawn of the nodes happen rather frequently.

If you think you will have any efficiency improvements in production ability in your EK from EK resources, I think your in for a disappointing time of it.

VS 

Campaigns which will have factories POI's that mass produce resources, without needing so much individual harvesting.

https://youtu.be/4RT90Vb5m7o?t=176

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

remember, they have stated repeatedly that no resource in crowfall will become obsolete.  when crafting high tier items you will still need low tier materials, or there will be certain materials in recipies that can be filled by any quality resource, meaning using low tier stuff is the most efficient.  for example say a high tier sword requires 2 types of metal, one must be rare and the other can be any rarity.   you could use two rare metals, or be smart and use one rare metal and one beginner level metal.

They have also said the common resources in your EK will be useful for paying the upkeep of your buildings.

remember, they have stated repeatedly that no resource in crowfall will become obsolete.  when crafting high tier items you will still need low tier materials, or there will be certain materials in recipies that can be filled by any quality resource, meaning using low tier stuff is the most efficient.  for example say a high tier sword requires 2 types of metal, one must be rare and the other can be any rarity.   you could use two rare metals, or be smart and use one rare metal and one beginner level metal.

They have also said the common resources in your EK will be useful for paying the upkeep of your buildings.

I am not saying useless, I'm saying the gate is different.

If I can only swing my ax and chop 20 trees in an hour, it's not really important that I have 30, 300 or 30,000 trees re-spawn an hour, it's going to take very few parcels, if more than one, to reach your own harvesting capacity.  The real gains will be in plentiful harvest training.

We know factories are only in Campaign worlds, so there is no mass production in the EK, other than resources dragged by through embargo.

Now that all goes away if for some reason it's more valuable for other players to come into my EK and chop my trees, and sell them to me, or if I can increase my EK production through Thralls.

I just don't think that the economic difference between one parcel vs another will be based on resource re-spawn time.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

well, judging by the amount of time it takes to harvest stuff in the test world right now it's pretty quick, especially if all the trees/ore/stone etc are all in one place (a harvesting parcel).  It takes something like 5-10 seconds to harvest a node right now.  so if a parcel has 20 nodes on it, that's about 3 minutes to harvest a land parcel.  Don't know how long it will take to respawn, most likely 1-4 hours.

If that's the case, then I could see it being feasible that on each play session you log in, spend maybe 10-15 minutes harvesting your resource parcels, then jump into whatever campaign you're in, and when you're done with your play session go back to your EK resource nodes and harvest them again (providing you played long enough for them to respawn.  But getting a harvest of low tier resources at least once a play session is a good way to build up at least enough materials to pay off your kingdom's upkeep and have some left over for crafting.

It would be cool if they had a resource gathering building as part of the EK where you could put thralls and they would occasionally go out and harvest your resource nodes.  you could put a long cooldown on how often they do out so it cant be abused.

well, judging by the amount of time it takes to harvest stuff in the test world right now it's pretty quick, especially if all the trees/ore/stone etc are all in one place (a harvesting parcel).  It takes something like 5-10 seconds to harvest a node right now.  so if a parcel has 20 nodes on it, that's about 3 minutes to harvest a land parcel.  Don't know how long it will take to respawn, most likely 1-4 hours.

If that's the case, then I could see it being feasible that on each play session you log in, spend maybe 10-15 minutes harvesting your resource parcels, then jump into whatever campaign you're in, and when you're done with your play session go back to your EK resource nodes and harvest them again (providing you played long enough for them to respawn.  But getting a harvest of low tier resources at least once a play session is a good way to build up at least enough materials to pay off your kingdom's upkeep and have some left over for crafting.

It would be cool if they had a resource gathering building as part of the EK where you could put thralls and they would occasionally go out and harvest your resource nodes.  you could put a long cooldown on how often they do out so it cant be abused.

If your drinking pots, your not seeing the actual harvesting rates. 

Due to the great apple famine of 2016, I spent an inordinate amount of time whacking trees tonight.  The little grove I was chewing through never had a shortage of trees to whack, and it wasn't even full parcel sized.

If it's more economical to whack trees in the EK and harvest the base stone, than it is to go into a CW and fight for embargo, then ACE did something wrong.

EK should be EMERGENCY resources that hold maintenance on your stuff in the EK in the event you get stuck on the losing side of a CW.  I would hate to see the preference for players turn into simply mine crafting in EK all the time.

I happen to think the CW should probably release limited embargo every week, with current war progress dictating the % transferred, so there is a steady EK support income. 

But that's another topic for another time well after we have started to mess with Embargo.

I happen to think the CW should probably release limited embargo every week, with current war progress dictating the % transferred, so there is a steady EK support income. 

But that's another topic for another time well after we have started to mess with Embargo.

I think every week may be excessive but at the end of each season may be a good idea.

Looking for a casual guild ...

Possible uses for low grade materials:  Fuel (coal for smithing stuff, already in the game, perfect use for knotwood), walls and buildings (stone and wood directly translates into More Buildings, almost certainly), slag metal seems a bit harder but I can imagine that cosmetic doodads like sconces and braziers for your buildings, or even things like ballista and catapults would just need "a lot of any metal" more than "you want to use silver for this".

Hard to be certain beyond the fuel and walls, but they've stated that you'll always want lots of every resource.

Well if I guild is going to share one EK (I'm pretty sure lots of guilds gonna do that, we certainly do plan to in Enso) then it does become extremely relevant how much of each is on a parcel

grove - wood
hill - wood and stone

The main reason I think why wood is the only one that have its own resource is that you start with only an axe, then to make a hammer you need 3 pieces of wood, and to make a pick you need 2 pieces of wood and 1 piece of stone, and finally for a knife you need to make a knife you need 2 pieces of wood and 1 piece of ore. If they released a parcel that had only stone, only ore or only stone and ore those would basically be useless without having wood as you would not be able to harvest materials then to make tools to harvest from those parcels (ofc I am talking about basic tools only, once you got into advanced you need more and a bit different materials)

Edited by Gummiel

Well if I guild is going to share one EK (I'm pretty sure lots of guilds gonna do that, we certainly do plan to in Enso) then it does become extremely relevant how much of each is on a parcel

The main reason I think why wood is the only one that have its own resource is that you start with only an axe, then to make a hammer you need 3 pieces of wood, and to make a pick you need 2 pieces of wood and 1 piece of stone, and finally for a knife you need to make a knife you need 2 pieces of wood and 1 piece of ore. If they released a parcel that had only stone, only ore or only stone and ore those would basically be useless without having wood as you would not be able to harvest materials then to make tools to harvest from those parcels (ofc I am talking about basic tools only, once you got into advanced you need more and a bit different materials)

Do we know what the included parcel is, what is in everyone's basic EK that has not purchased additional parcels?  

It could/should be that parcel has at least 1 of each resource type.

Do we know what the included parcel is, what is in everyone's basic EK that has not purchased additional parcels?  

It could/should be that parcel has at least 1 of each resource type.

All the parcels were listed in the store... Though today I don't see the resource ones... (odd)

The three resource parcels had a note in their top right showing what they produced. The bottom right showed the size.

The only parcels currently listed which produced anything according to the pictures were the 3 resource parcels...

So it looks like they won't have any basic resources, they will just be land...

Of course that's an inference based on incomplete data, but still, its entirely likely you won't get anything from the basic parcels.

Edit: The resource parcels showed up again... Probably a caching issue on my end. I'll update this port shortly.

Edit:

These are the parcels currently attached to my account. 

Parcel Town Rank 3 
Parcel Shire Rank 1
(1 cell) Farmland Parcel (standard) 

If you look them up in the store, none of them are listed as including any resources. 
Edited by ledeir