Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
weaponsx

For the "mods"

Not sure that word means what you think it means.

But just in case the meaning of "juxtapose" has changed recently, so far my experiences are entirely consistent with the "actual trends." As opposed to being contradictory or juxtaposed to the "actual trends" or consistent with those "other trends."

Who knows. Maybe we don't really want a political forum. Perhaps we're all waxing nostalgic.

Na. Political forums would be fun. I do, however, understand the reasons they aren't available yet.

Modern games don't use forumbaning on forums to develop rivalries, let alone official game forums, they use things like the game itself, reddit, twitch.tv, and twitter.  This is in contrast to the nostalgic memories and claims some are making here about the need for forum political warfare. 

My use of juxtapose was correct for the message I was conveying.  The majority of players on these current forums are not all begging for forumbaning, only a vocal minority are. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

You don't need forumbaning for good in-game rivalries, those rivalries can happen in-game.  People juxtapose their own nostalgic experiences onto what the actual trends are. 

If you look at all of the most competitive games (esports) they've actually tried very hard to keep the trashtalking off of official forums.  If trashtalking is such a necessity people can make fanforums and if it is so important people will gravitate there, if people feel no need to gravitate there then it must not be as important as some perceive.

The Esports games (league of legends, Dota, counterstrike, etc) in my opinion are not the same as a game like shadowbane, darkfall, UO.

There are no politics inside an esports game, your on team a or team b and you can shake hands with good sportsmanship when its over in an hour and a half.

In a game like crowfall most people will naturally move toward safety in numbers, this in turn causes zergs to form because its the nature of most people. I believe that the pressure on forums can and has caused the fall of may large alliances, guilds or groups in games like this.  People start referring to a really large clan or alliance as a Zerg guild and some of the members begin to feel like they are somehow less than they could be being just one nameless guy in "the guild with the most people" and see a smaller guild who everyone knows all 5 of them by name because they are attacking someone every 5 minutes and their names are yelled across their enemies voice comms, they end up on video after video and are mentioned in post after post on the forums. 

Back in DF during the blood wars, a large alliance of euros attacked our alliance in Rubyat over the course of a month or so, we had multiple sieges night after night at all hours of the day and early morning. In my opinion half of this war was won due to vigilant forum work to combat the PR these guys were putting out. Without that forum fight most players would have known no more than guild A lost a city to Guild B.  Instead every time blood would post a video of one of their few and/or ill gotten victory to prove their prowess they just got us more and more name recognition and pushed the few of the nameless masses that wanted to stand out to join our ranks to make a name for them self.  We picked up quite a few very good PVPers during that time because they were tired of standing in their city waiting on a small group of 5 to attack so that they can race their 20 guild mates to get one of the 5 kills.  The raw emotions on the forum pushed them this way, I believe, they wanted a real fight and to feel that passion from the game, they wanted an ENEMY not a friendly competitor.

These persistent games are not about sports, sportsmanship or friendly competition, they are about BATTLES, WARS, ENEMIES, VICTORY AND DEFEAT!

While there is a place to respect your fellow gamer that you both have such an affection for the same hobby and game and the time and effort you both put in, there is also a place and more than just in game to call him and his 18 friends that attack you and your 7 friends a "zerg that hides behind numbers because they are scared to loose their pixels."

Again these are just my opinions on what makes a sand box game something that you really have a passion for as it was for so many of us that played UO, Shadowbane or darkfall where you would wake up at 3am because someone was coming to smash up or steal the city you worked so hard for versus just "meh.. guess ill go on another raid. or join another 5v5 to tae up the next hour and see if I can get on the top of the score card"

TLDR:  is rambling again cause he is getting old in gamer years.

Edited by BuffaloBill

The Esports games (league of legends, Dota, counterstrike, etc) in my opinion are not the same as a game like shadowbane, darkfall, UO.

There are no politics inside an esports game, your on team a or team b and you can shake hands with good sportsmanship when its over in an hour and a half.

In a game like crowfall most people will naturally move toward safety in numbers, this in turn causes zergs to form because its the nature of most people. I believe that the pressure on forums can and has caused the fall of may large alliances, guilds or groups in games like this.  People start referring to a really large clan or alliance as a Zerg guild and some of the members begin to feel like they are somehow less than they could be being just one nameless guy in "the guild with the most people" and see a smaller guild who everyone knows all 5 of them by name because they are attacking someone every 5 minutes and their names are yelled across their enemies voice comms, they end up on video after video and are mentioned in post after post on the forums. 

Back in DF during the blood wars, a large alliance of euros attacked our alliance in Rubyat over the course of a month or so, we had multiple sieges night after night at all hours of the day and early morning. In my opinion half of this war was won due to vigilant forum work to combat the PR these guys were putting out. Without that forum fight most players would have known no more than guild A lost a city to Guild B.  Instead every time blood would post a video of one of their few and/or ill gotten victory to prove their prowess they just got us more and more name recognition and pushed the few of the nameless masses that wanted to stand out to join our ranks to make a name for them self.  We picked up quite a few very good PVPers during that time because they were tired of standing in their city waiting on a small group of 5 to attack so that they can race their 20 guild mates to get one of the 5 kills.  The raw emotions on the forum pushed them this way, I believe, they wanted a real fight and to feel that passion from the game, they wanted an ENEMY not a friendly competitor.

These persistent games are not about sports, sportsmanship or friendly competition, they are about BATTLES, WARS, ENEMIES, VICTORY AND DEFEAT!

While there is a place to respect your fellow gamer that you both have such an affection for the same hobby and game and the time and effort you both put in, there is also a place and more than just in game to call him and his 18 friends that attack you and your 7 friends a "zerg that hides behind numbers because they are scared to loose their pixels."

Again these are just my opinions on what makes a sand box game something that you really have a passion for as it was for so many of us that played UO, Shadowbane or darkfall where you would wake up at 3am because someone was coming to smash up or steal the city you worked so hard for versus just "meh.. guess ill go on another raid. or join another 5v5 to tae up the next hour and see if I can get on the top of the score card"

TLDR:  is rambling again cause he is getting old in gamer years.

All of this stuff you talk about does not HAVE to take place on official forums, and most of it doesn't anymore.  There are so many social media avenues people can take for developing community hubs. 

You can start political wars on twitch, on youtube, on twitter, etc etc... it's just a matter of the launch community deciding where the best players are going to gravitate to, and the rest either adapting or not.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I still remember a project called The Dregs ... you haven't heard of it? The first and only popular discussion in that forum was about poop. Yeah, the experiment failed. There is no need of a "free" forum.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I don't see why it is so hard to follow the rules we accepted by subscribing to this forum. Their house, their rules. If we don't read them, it's not their fault. They are hanging on the front door. If our heads hang next to them, we obviously did something unrecommended and might have to give it a thought.

But there have to be places where people can crush their heads (either still connected to a body or already separated). No toxicity at all and nothing but toxicity - both ways won't help this game if only one of them exists. I'd say the sooner we get at least some kind of ingame related subforum the better.

But just like Pann said, we had this discussion multiples times now (and know how they worked out) and we will have to wait. Or to prepare. ;)

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Politics and rivalries are good for the game. Personal insults are not.

I think there is a bit of confusion about where threads relating to in-game politics and rivalries belong on these forums, and what the boundaries are for then. The "no forumbane" rules could be a rather wide prohibition, or it could refer only to the more toxic extremes of forumbaning.

If I wanted to make a thread about how another guild is a cowardly zerg, would that be ok? Where is the right place for that?

Personally, I think it would be permitted, but I think some people get the impression that even that would not be allowed.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

I think there is a bit of confusion about where threads relating to in-game politics and rivalries belong on these forums, and what the boundaries are for then. The "no forumbane" rules could be a rather wide prohibition, or it could refer only to the more toxic extremes of forumbaning.

If I wanted to make a thread about how another guild is a cowardly zerg, would that be ok? Where is the right place for that?

Personally, I think it would be permitted, but I think some people get the impression that even that would not be allowed.

This whole kerfuffle started because they chose to take shots in the one place on the forum where that is explicitly not allowed, LOL. You gotta learn the rules before trying to play the game, not the other way 'round and then cry about moderation.

It seems they're trying again in the videos section, which seems like an acceptable venue. We'll see.  :lol:

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

It seems they're trying again in the videos section, which seems like an acceptable venue. We'll see.  :lol:

Well, accusing others of cheating is not allowed. I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to try to instigate rivalries though.

People who want to "forumbane" really do need to learn to do it better.

IhhQKY6.gif

I still remember a project called The Dregs ... you haven't heard of it? The first and only popular discussion in that forum was about poop. Yeah, the experiment failed. There is no need of a "free" forum.

Whatever did happen to The Dregs.net ? There was some good material on there too ... from dev007 (?) ....

"Proud" owner of the domains : http://www.crowfall2.com and http://www.guinecean.com

Yea, that it was way too early for rambunctious in-game politics. There was no game yet.

We are getting closer to a having a game that could support lively political forums.

No one is stopping anyone from trying again.

ZCcquVD.png

No one is stopping anyone from trying again.

That seems like a bit of a pivot away from your point. which seemed to be that death of one place for banter shows that there is no need for such a place.

I do think we should have a forum here for in-game politics. Not a place with no rules, just an appropriate place for game related politics and banter. Given your proclivity for snippy comments, I think you will enjoy it as much as anyone.

It may not be time yet. I think it is close, though.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

How does that relate to you point?

I don't really understand your question.

For some players talking politics is the same as in sprouting personal insults. I just don't agree with that. Apparently having a place where personal insults were allowed wasn't attracting a lot of participants.

There might be a place for political discussions in a polite and respectful manner though. Feel free to start something up. I don't have the time to run a community besides our guild.

ZCcquVD.png

I don't really understand your question.

I tried to counter your point about what kind of conclusions could be drawn from the death of thedregs.net. You then seemed to change the topic by stating the truism that "no one is stopping anyone from trying again." 

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Modern games don't use forumbaning on forums to develop rivalries, let alone official game forums, they use things like the game itself, reddit, twitch.tv, and twitter.  This is in contrast to the nostalgic memories and claims some are making here about the need for forum political warfare. 

My use of juxtapose was correct for the message I was conveying.  The majority of players on these current forums are not all begging for forumbaning, only a vocal minority are. 

Pump those breaks VikingNail. Don't spread modern ideas to antiquated relics from SB. :D

Edited by Kylo