Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
weaponsx

For the "mods"

Yea, okay, but the one section of the forum that what you're advocating for isn't allowed is the recruitment thread area. If people just learn where and how they can take their shots they needn't worry about The Terror of Warning Points or whatever.

Ok, great, no trolling in recruitment, that's fine. I don't see anyone arguing that it should be a free for all.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I think I correctly assume that a community within a competitive game, which allows any freedom for verbal sparring, is toxic.

Besides, ACE may one day come across the perfect deal (to ACE) from a publisher, but if all it takes is the potential publishers seeing the community calling each other [NSFW, REDACTED  AND CENSORED] to call off the deal, then ACE may  lose out on a potentially company-saving opportunity.

I've been on the internet long enough to know that you're never going to get anonymous people to act civilly in a competitive environment. We've all seen the DOTA, LoL, and CoD toxicity memes.

I mean, there will be forumbane, ACE can't stop people from working from within the RoC, but it will be more tame than a pet dog.

Do you have an exceedingly low threshold for what you consider toxic? I mean, I don't think calling Sugoi a noob zerg is all that bad, I'm not trying to fist your sister or something like that, and I don't think that's what is being proposed here. I'm not sure why you or the other people on this thread seem to think it's all necessarily NSFW.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

You don't need forumbaning for good in-game rivalries, those rivalries can happen in-game.  People juxtapose their own nostalgic experiences onto what the actual trends are. 

If you look at all of the most competitive games (esports) they've actually tried very hard to keep the trashtalking off of official forums.  If trashtalking is such a necessity people can make fanforums and if it is so important people will gravitate there, if people feel no need to gravitate there then it must not be as important as some perceive.

I mean, sure. You don't NEED forumbaning for good in-game rivalries. I don't NEED mustard to enjoy a hotdog or a hamburger. I don't NEED oral to enjoy sex. They all have their virtues though and done well, can enhance the experience without issue. Guess I'll just go without condiments now, can't risk getting any on my shirt.

Your analogy to e-sport games is awful; sure Call of Duty and Crowfall are both video games but aside from that point, your analogy is apples to dump trucks. Moreaover, you're incorrectly positing that the point of creating a political forum or the likes is so that I can roll up and say "Hey VN, your mom's a sweet pea and you should drink bleach and DIAF IRL", and it isn't. Could that happen? Absolutely, but again, no one is saying that it needs to be a free for all. I'm talking politics and propaganda. It's not my fault that you and others on this thread lack the imagination to see the difference, or to see where and why it can be fun, effective, and worthwhile to the game.

Like it or not, Shadowbane is a major influence on the design, content, and direction of this game. Also like it or not, Forumbane had a profound effect in-game, and anyone that denies that is simply doing so for arguments sake. Was there trash talking? Sure. Was there people that took advantage of the situation? Sure. That's what moderation was for. Hey, I was even a moderator. Twice. Simply put though, the benefit of having an immersive, contentious, personal stake was worth it, and really was the reason that the game lasted as long as it did, and the reason why the game spawned three emulator efforts, and the game still exists 13 years later. It sure as poorly made socks wasn't the graphics, or the gameplay - it was purely the community, and a large reason that community was so close knit was because we had the ability to make the most out of our game and the vehicle for that were the forums.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

All of this stuff you talk about does not HAVE to take place on official forums, and most of it doesn't anymore.  There are so many social media avenues people can take for developing community hubs. 

You can start political wars on twitch, on youtube, on twitter, etc etc... it's just a matter of the launch community deciding where the best players are going to gravitate to, and the rest either adapting or not.

Okay, it doesn't HAVE to take place on the official forums, but it can, and it should. It's just the best vehicle for it because it naturally is going to have the most viewership. This isn't rocket surgery, and your hail mary attempts at passing off politics on youtube is crap. You're not arguing this stuff because you actually believe in it, no one arguing against the political forums are actually going to believe that Twitter and Youtube can take the place of a political sub-forum on the official forum page. That any of those mediums you've mentioned are better outlets than the official forums could be. No one.

You just simply don't want it to happen. Which hey, that's fine, good for you. At least own up to it.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I still remember a project called The Dregs ... you haven't heard of it? The first and only popular discussion in that forum was about poop. Yeah, the experiment failed. There is no need of a "free" forum.

Right, that experiment failed miserably. Good insight.

That forum wasn't opened with the goal in mind to enrich the political landscape of Crowfall. It was so some people could talk some poorly made socks about whatever or whoever they wanted without fear of reprisal. That isn't what I think the majority of supporters in this thread are seeking. I'm not looking for a place where I can call you an unpleasant person. If I wanted to do that, I would just do that. I have enough conviction to say it regardless of the rules. That being said, if you're going to make an argument against a political forum, make it against the one that the people on this thread are actually suggesting, not the one that you and others think we're asking for.

On a side note, any unofficial political forum was going to fail at that point anyway regardless as there was no game, there was no one playing, there was no knowledge, there was barely even a kickstarter, if there even was a kickstarter.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I don't see why it is so hard to follow the rules we accepted by subscribing to this forum. Their house, their rules. If we don't read them, it's not their fault. They are hanging on the front door. If our heads hang next to them, we obviously did something unrecommended and might have to give it a thought.

But there have to be places where people can crush their heads (either still connected to a body or already separated). No toxicity at all and nothing but toxicity - both ways won't help this game if only one of them exists. I'd say the sooner we get at least some kind of ingame related subforum the better.

But just like Pann said, we had this discussion multiples times now (and know how they worked out) and we will have to wait. Or to prepare. ;)

To be fair, I haven't had those discussions, and I'm much better equipped to have them than most.

That being said too, I invested $500 in this game, so I'm going to work to get out of it what I put into it.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I'm not a troll or much of a forumbaner, but speaking from extensive experience as a Guild Leader that deals with inter-guilds relations on a daily basis, in games like this the political forums are absolutely critical to what goes on in game.  ACE can choose to support political forums here, or someone else can host unofficial ones, but propaganda and politics is easily 50% of the game.

Edited by damebix

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

One of the problems of an official political forum at the moment would be resources for monitoring and moderation. They have other priorities at the moment.

As ACE own and manage these forums they just can't let anything be written, even in a dedicated sub-forum, because they need to stay within the law and have a reputation to protect. It may come later but for now I think it's too early with respect to development priorities.

Yes you could have a community run sub-forum but that would have its own issues as well.

If people want a political forum now it would be better done outside the official game forum.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

+1 to the forum train, I have nothing constructive to add - political boards were part of SB, and should be for Crowfall, Dirkoff is correct though - other priorities at the moment.

e.g. I'd rather get a fix for take bug, instead of a forum. Comments that there will be a forum from ACE would I think satiate our hunger for the interim.

"Proud" owner of the domains : http://www.crowfall2.com and http://www.guinecean.com

Gordon has promised that in the future we will have private forums for guilds that guild members can manage however they choose. Until then, everyone must abide by the rules we have for these forums at this point in time. 

:ph34r:

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

Sure, I don't mind them fixing bugs over opening and moderating a forum right now, that's fine. While I could certainly make good use of it, I understand that for most folks it's far too early to think of anything politically, and that's fine. I mean, it's not like the forum would be some grand undertaking like fixing the country's broken tax system, but it's fine. As you said Dorf, an announcement would be fine.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

This whole kerfuffle started because they chose to take shots in the one place on the forum where that is explicitly not allowed, LOL. You gotta learn the rules before trying to play the game, not the other way 'round and then cry about moderation.

It seems they're trying again in the videos section, which seems like an acceptable venue. We'll see.  :lol:

Obviously you misunderstood where he was coming from.

He did wrong in the recruiting thread by not following the rules. The issue and bias came in when all was pointed out that other parties had also not followed the rules as strictly as they are listed and was not removed and points were not given.

This game has been sold as 'game of thrones'. How do you do politics in a in-game global chat? Its not a platform to reach people, most people, myself included usually turn global chat off since its just white noise.

Thats what a political game needs, a free platform to do politics as long as its in-game context there should be no issues.

CfWBSig.png

Obviously you misunderstood where he was coming from.

He did wrong in the recruiting thread by not following the rules. The issue and bias came in when all was pointed out that other parties had also not followed the rules as strictly as they are listed and was not removed and points were not given.

This game has been sold as 'game of thrones'. How do you do politics in a in-game global chat? Its not a platform to reach people, most people, myself included usually turn global chat off since its just white noise.

Thats what a political game needs, a free platform to do politics as long as its in-game context there should be no issues.

Just do it on YouTube man. Or google plus. Totes the way of doing things meow.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

As far as I know the only person not given warning points after weaponsx's first post was me, because I never replied directly to him nor did I mention him. Members of Sugoi were given warning points FYI.

Just do it on YouTube man. Or google plus. Totes the way of doing things meow.

YouTube is actually a superb place for propaganda. I've had many lulz granted by following the rise and fall of guilds in BDO by paying attention to only 1 YT account. The times have changed, and many of the people who you'll fight in this game won't even visit the forums after the game's launched. What purpose will your forum tro... erm, posting have then, eh?

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

Ok, I never played Shadowbane and I'm honestly trying to understand here. I talked to a former SB player about it, and read the forums on one of those emu's. How can you call something like this "politics":

http://magicbane.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5357

To me it's just trash talking and turd flinging. And it's not unique to Shadowbane either, happens in every forum of every pvp game out there. Some are more heavily moderated than others, true. But it's just considered trash talking, not politics. Now don't get me wrong. I know there's a lot of politics involved, campaigns will be won by politics more than anything else. Alliances, counter alliances, spying, sabotage, everything that comes with it. And forums will be a source of intel as well. I just don't see how the trash talking needs to be a fundamental part of that. 

Sure, I have as much fun as the next guy reading a meme filled thread full of salty posts, but if the devs want to keep the forums clean and without personal insults, I don't see the big deal either. I guess Jah made a good point of defining what is acceptable and what isn't and just having clear guidelines so we know what to expect. 

Ok, I never played Shadowbane and I'm honestly trying to understand here. I talked to a former SB player about it, and read the forums on one of those emu's. How can you call something like this "politics":

To me it's just trash talking and turd flinging. And it's not unique to Shadowbane either, happens in every forum of every pvp game out there. Some are more heavily moderated than others, true. But it's just considered trash talking, not politics. Now don't get me wrong. I know there's a lot of politics involved, campaigns will be won by politics more than anything else. Alliances, counter alliances, spying, sabotage, everything that comes with it. And forums will be a source of intel as well. I just don't see how the trash talking needs to be a fundamental part of that. 

Sure, I have as much fun as the next guy reading a meme filled thread full of salty posts, but if the devs want to keep the forums clean and without personal insults, I don't see the big deal either. I guess Jah made a good point of defining what is acceptable and what isn't and just having clear guidelines so we know what to expect. 

They claim politics, but it boils down to pure trash talk. That thread is probly pretty lightweight to compared to other "politics" ive seen throughout the years.

krevra.png

All I had to see from your post was the URL starting with Magicbane and I had to stop giving it any credence. You picked an example from what would be akin to thedregs forum here. MB was in no way official, And in no way representative of the game or its population. The MB crowd was mostly the worst of our population and many didn't even play SB during its heyday. It's like seeing Donald Trump now, he evolved out of the worst part of America and if he was the only example you saw, it should leave a bad taste in your mouth. It, nor he, is representative of the preceding couple hundred years.

That, Magicbane, is a fan run, unmoderated, unofficial pile of poorly made socks example. Even *I* didn't patron that site.

Edited by protonix

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I mean, I could hold up your toaster and call it a lobster. 

Just because a single thread, not on the Shadowbane forums at all, but on a privately made emulator, adds nothing to political dynamics and is filled with vitriol, doesn't mean that the Shadowbane forums didn't have tons of great political back and forth. They did. Period. I'll tell you that Magicbane in no way represented what Shadowbane was on live. Neither does the EMU, frankly.

You need mods. They just need to relax their standards a little.

Basically what Protonix said. MB houses some of the worst of the worst that really ever existed in SB in terms of behavior, racism and pure hatred. Not that all of them there are that way but that is primarily what you will see represented on those forums.

The SBemu forums were a bit more tame but still looser than the old UBI forums were when the games were live.

C4sIZDW.gif