Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
weaponsx

For the "mods"

I mean, sure. You don't NEED forumbaning for good in-game rivalries. I don't NEED mustard to enjoy a hotdog or a hamburger. I don't NEED oral to enjoy sex. They all have their virtues though and done well, can enhance the experience without issue. Guess I'll just go without condiments now, can't risk getting any on my shirt.

What you are asking for is inefficient mustard though, whereas the modern gaming crowds have moved on to better mustard.  Twitter/Reddit/Twitch.TV are the better mustard.

Your analogy to e-sport games is awful; sure Call of Duty and Crowfall are both video games but aside from that point, your analogy is apples to dump trucks. Moreaover, you're incorrectly positing that the point of creating a political forum or the likes is so that I can roll up and say "Hey VN, your mom's a sweet pea and you should drink bleach and DIAF IRL", and it isn't. Could that happen? Absolutely, but again, no one is saying that it needs to be a free for all. I'm talking politics and propaganda. It's not my fault that you and others on this thread lack the imagination to see the difference, or to see where and why it can be fun, effective, and worthwhile to the game.

You have plenty of more widely viewed websites to create politics and propaganda.  As someone that was in the most dominant SB guild I know exactly what forums were back in 2003, and there are far superior things to that now.  The issue here is people being unwilling to adapt to the times.  It would be like saying, "Oh man I had a really great political experience back on IRC, crowfall needs to integrate IRC."

Like it or not, Shadowbane is a major influence on the design, content, and direction of this game. Also like it or not, Forumbane had a profound effect in-game, and anyone that denies that is simply doing so for arguments sake. Was there trash talking? Sure. Was there people that took advantage of the situation? Sure. That's what moderation was for. Hey, I was even a moderator. Twice. Simply put though, the benefit of having an immersive, contentious, personal stake was worth it, and really was the reason that the game lasted as long as it did, and the reason why the game spawned three emulator efforts, and the game still exists 13 years later. It sure as poorly made socks wasn't the graphics, or the gameplay - it was purely the community, and a large reason that community was so close knit was because we had the ability to make the most out of our game and the vehicle for that were the forums.

Again, everything you can say on a forum, can be said on bigger social hubs now.  Your argument appeals to nostalgia instead of practicality. 

Okay, it doesn't HAVE to take place on the official forums, but it can, and it should. It's just the best vehicle for it because it naturally is going to have the most viewership. This isn't rocket surgery, and your hail mary attempts at passing off politics on youtube is crap. You're not arguing this stuff because you actually believe in it, no one arguing against the political forums are actually going to believe that Twitter and Youtube can take the place of a political sub-forum on the official forum page. That any of those mediums you've mentioned are better outlets than the official forums could be. No one.

No, it's not the best vehicle, the most viewership for games these days is rarely ever their official forums now.  Reddit generally dominates for games. 

You just simply don't want it to happen. Which hey, that's fine, good for you. At least own up to it.

I simply think it is inefficient for ACE to waste time with it when other social hubs have become the go-to and will be the go-to for this game once it is released as well.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

The Crowfall subreddit being kind of dead is somewhat ironic.

Generally the subreddits that I have seen that are pretty big are for games that lack their own forums.

The crowfall subreddit is dead because this is not a game yet, and also because the choices for moderators for that subreddit are not good. 

Also big reddits include WoW/League of Legends, Global offensive, Overwatch, etc etc.... all games that have their own official forums.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

The crowfall subreddit is dead because this is not a game yet, and also because the choices for moderators for that subreddit are not good. 

Also big reddits include WoW/League of Legends, Global offensive, Overwatch, etc etc.... all games that have their own official forums.

The CS forums are kind of garbage so I wouldn't exactly consider them. The only game there that is even somewhat relative to CF is WoW and really that is pretty loose since it kind of fits into the esports/competitive gaming where it is more match like rather than extended persistent worlds like. They aren't quite analogous.

I do however agree with you on the choice of moderators for the CF subreddit.

C4sIZDW.gif

You act like you have to read it. If youre the type of easily insulted snowflake then Dont go into that part of the forum and read it simple as that. How soft you people are these days amazes me. Its about to be 2017 time to pick up your big boy pants and not get Triggered over bad words on the internet.

Edited by wor

Grief-super-small.png

https://twitch.TV/Badatron  

https://www.GriefGaming.pro

A few points to clarify -- 

1. /r/crowfall: We have no managerial involvement with /r/crowfall. It is run by volunteers; we're in contact with them, but we don't tell them how to do things.

2.  Third-party forums: We are okay with third party sites/forums as a pressure valve for the community. 

3. Our rules: The rules are what they are for a reason: to maintain a civil place to discuss our game. You don't have to like them, but you do have to abide by them if you're going to post here. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

It's long been proven that the greater the forum rivalries, the more meaningful those in-game rivalries become. There is one inexorable truth in this type of conquest game - forum politics matter.

edit: Board Warrior. The proper name is board warrior.

...source? If you're going to claim that this has "long been proven," I'd like to see some standardized definitions for "meaningful" and the studies you're referencing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

I find it hilarious that our roving bands of thugs are asking for a safe forum space so that they can talk poorly made socks about people they don't like. This is like a really weird Teenagers in High School movie.

This. This is my biggest gripe.

The people who complain that "safe spaces" are ruining everything they love ARE ASKING FOR SAFE SPACES TO TALK AS MUCH poorly made socks AS THEY WANT WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES.

You don't get to have it both ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

The people who complain that "safe spaces" are ruining everything they love ARE ASKING FOR SAFE SPACES TO TALK AS MUCH poorly made socks AS THEY WANT WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES.

There is some weird hang up where it HAS to be the official forums that they do it on because that's how things were back in their favorite MMOs.

Some tried to make their own websites for trash talk, and it simply wasn't popular and only a handful of people were interested in participating.

Kinda of hard to make In-Game rivalries when the servers are only up once a week and the chat is broken 90% of the time.

It's kind of hard to make in-game rivalries before the game is online. Pre-alpha ISN'T THE GAME. Even when the servers are online, what you are logging into isn't Crowfall. Testing modules are NOT the game. They aren't for PLAYING. They are for TESTING. Hence the name "TEST MODULES." Hence the "TESTING SCHEDULE." Hence the "BIG WORLD TESTS." You seem to have some serious difficulty internalizing that idea.

If you are so insistent that the rules of the game should work a specific way, maybe stop logging into something that isn't the game at all and then complaining that it doesn't meet your standards. I get it - you aren't happy with the way the game is being operated, despite literally never having logged into the game because the game has never gone online. Let me play you the world's smallest violin.

There is some weird hang up where it HAS to be the official forums that they do it on because that's how things were back in their favorite MMOs.

Some tried to make their own websites for trash talk, and it simply wasn't popular and only a handful of people were interested in participating.

People don't even have to make their own websites for this, though. They can make a Discord or a TeamSpeak or..whatever the custard they want. Hell, the finished game will even let them do that IN GAME, both with guild messages and the actual chat server, because forum rules and game rules are not the same, as Pann pointed out more than a week ago.

But honestly, I don't care where people do their whinging - I care when they complain about getting punished in exactly the manner that they agreed to when they joined, and then get all uppity because their safe space is being ruined by other peoples' need for safe spaces.

If you don't understand why that is so ironic, that's....hilarious. And also your own custard problem.

What I don't get most especially is that I actually talk with some of the people I see regularly making these nonsensical complaints, and they are perfectly intelligent, reasonable people. THAT is what pisses me off the most here. Seeing these nonsense complaints getting made over and over by people who are clearly rational adult human beings blows my custard mind.

That's kind of nonsense.

What's safe about me calling your guild names? It should provoke an in-game response - quite the opposite from safe.

Which I think is the point.

That's kind of nonsense.

What's safe about me calling your guild names? It should provoke an in-game response - quite the opposite from safe.

Which I think is the point.

A safe space is a place where you are free to speak your mind without fearing repercussions.

That's all it is. Nothing more and nothing less.

People who complain about safe spaces almost always, in my experience, do so as a direct result of facing repercussions for speaking their mind. BECAUSE THIS IS A FORUM, NOT A SAFE SPACE.

Edit: but yes, clearly the people who need safe spaces are the ones ruining this forum. That logic totally stands up to scrutiny.

Re-edit: in other words, yes. That is exactly my point, coolwaters. This is NOT a safe space. This was NEVER a safe space. This place has moderators and rules. There are in-forum consequences for breaking those rules, and there will be in-game consequences for offending other people. That is the literal custard opposite of a safe space.

So all the people whining that all the special snowflakes who need a safe space are somehow ruining their moderated forum experience ARE BEING SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES WHO NEED A SAFE SPACE.

And they do not see why. Even though they are reasonable, intelligent human beings. And it makes my custard head hurt.

Edited by goose

What I don't get most especially is that I actually talk with some of the people I see regularly making these nonsensical complaints, and they are perfectly intelligent, reasonable people. THAT is what pisses me off the most here. Seeing these nonsense complaints getting made over and over by people who are clearly rational adult human beings blows my custard mind.

Rationality is not always universal, some people can be very calm and objective about some subjects, but bias can skew their perspective and make them extremely irrational about other subjects.

Rationality is not always universal, some people can be very calm and objective about some subjects, but bias can skew their perspective and make them extremely irrational about other subjects.

100% accurate, yes. But it seems like the people who get their panties in a bunch over this specific issue always always ALWAYS exhibit the exact same variety of hypocrisy, and ...I have a finite amount of brain power to deal with that overwhelmingly common issue.

Edit: Personally, I think the only important measure of "intelligence" is the ability to change your mind. Everything else is relative - it doesn't matter how much you know because any amount of it can be wrong. But if you lack the capacity to incorporate new information into "what you know," you will always be stupid about some things, and the longer scientific advances continue, the larger the number of things about which you are stupid will become.

Rationality is not subjective - it is the ability of a person to arrive at a conclusion using sound logic. But peoples' biases can absolutely prevent them from applying rational thought in certain situations for various reasons, regardless of how capable they are of applying it in other situations.

But when I see people who I know from firsthand experience CAN be rational actively refusing to even try to be rational, it gives me a headache. I don't want everyone to agree with me, per se, but if they DON'T agree with me, I want them to have a sound, logical reason for it. Circular logic is not sound logic.

Edited by goose

Yeah that's how it works, those that make fun of others for needing a "Safe Place" are generally the same ones responsible for them needing it to begin with.

"I set you on fire how dare you jump in the water to put it out!!"

100% accurate, yes. But it seems like the people who get their panties in a bunch over this specific issue always always ALWAYS exhibit the exact same variety of hypocrisy, and ...I have a finite amount of brain power to deal with that overwhelmingly common issue.

I believe people are so nostalgic and passionate about the past MMORPG politics and drama and excitement that they think they have to recreate the exact same environment to recapture that fun, the problem is they will never be able to  create the exact same environment because the gaming climate has changed dramatically. 

I understand what kind of politics and trash talk they are talking about, I was there, and I've tried repeatedly to explain to them why it doesn't have to take place on an official forum, it can happen in any of dozens of social media hubs we have now to connect people to one another.  It also actually can hurt ACE to let it happen on official forums because they are trying to get people to buy into the game, not drive people away with trash talk and toxicity that are not relevant to the game, especially at this stage of development.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Yeah that's how it works, those that make fun of others for needing a "Safe Place" are generally the same ones responsible for them needing it to begin with.

"I set you on fire how dare you jump in the water to put it out!!"

That isn't even what I mean.

To keep within your analogy, guy A sets guy B on fire. Guy B jumps in the water to stop being on fire. Police Officer C arrests guy A for arson and attempted murder. Guy A complains that Guy B and his need for a safe space is infringing on his right not to be arrested for arson and attempted murder.

THAT is the part that hurts my head.