Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
weaponsx

For the "mods"

A safe space is a place where you are free to speak your mind without fearing repercussions.

I like how you try and define something that actually has no definition.

Its social slang and means different things to different people.

Obviously your definition to this made up social construct is different then when other people are using it. Thats where your confusion is. 

Take it in context where they are using it, not in the context of how you define it.

They are not being ironically ignorant. They define it differently. 

Example:

You define is as above, many others do as well.

While myself and many others define it has a protected place that you cannot say things that could be 'triggers' to other peoples emotional frailties.

Do you understand the completely different definitions? 

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

I believe people are so nostalgic and passionate about the past MMORPG politics and drama and excitement that they think they have to recreate the exact same environment to recapture that fun, the problem is they will never be able to  create the exact same environment because the gaming climate has changed dramatically. 

I understand what kind of politics and trash talk they are talking about, I was there, and I've tried repeatedly to explain to them why it doesn't have to take place on an official forum, it can happen in any of dozens of social media hubs we have now to connect people to one another.  It also actually can hurt ACE to let it happen on official forums because they are trying to get people to buy into the game, not drive people away with trash talk and toxicity that are not relevant to the game, especially at this stage of development.

I agree, but I think it's almost inevitable. Not only did they make this game to try and recapture some - but not all - parts of that nostalgia, but they then opened up the pre-alpha testing to people who have never been on the inside of the game development process before. So they have to fight this battle against old trolls on two fronts: not only are they logging on to pre-alpha test modules expecting alpha- or beta-quality products, but they are also complaining in the forums both about how their expectations are not being met in-game and how the forums are not experiencing the same style and degree of moderation that they remember from back in the day.

If I knew what to do about it besides beat the irrational people with logic and hope it penetrated, I would do that instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

I like how you try and define something that actually has no definition.

Its social slang and means different things to different people.

Obviously your definition to this made up social construct is different then when other people are using it. Thats where your confusion is. 

Take it in context where they are using it, not in the context of how you define it.

They are not being ironically ignorant. They define it differently. 

..it's cute that you think the phrase has no set meaning, but that's wrong, and so are you.

"Safe spaces" are a concept that originated back in the 80s, and they have a very clear and well-defined form and function today.

I'm not going to debate this point with you, though, because if you cared enough for there to exist an argument that could change your mind, you would have googled it instead of posting that nonsense.

Edit: I am also not going to argue the point with you because there are like three logical fallacies in the rest of your post and ..I...I just can't even. Not a wall I have the energy to beat my head against.

Edited by goose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

..it's cute that you think the phrase has no set meaning, but that's wrong, and so are you.

"Safe spaces" are a concept that originated back in the 80s, and they have a very clear and well-defined form and function today.

I'm not going to debate this point with you, though, because if you cared enough for there to exist an argument that could change your mind, you would have googled it instead of posting that nonsense.

Edit: I am also not going to argue the point with you because there are like three logical fallacies in the rest of your post and ..I...I just can't even. Not a wall I have the energy to beat my head against.

People who don't know the history and/or meanings of things tend to hold them in contempt and liberally misuse them, especially on the internet. 

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

People who don't know the history and/or meanings of things tend to hold them in contempt and liberally misuse them, especially on the internet. 

I never knew that. :P

Poor goose got all sorts of riled up in this thread.

Apparently needed a trigger warning and a safe space on the forums to read.

Yeah, I'm downright apoplectic and there's no reason for it at all.

Edit: for the record, I am 99% sure that one of the people I responded to is trolling, and about 50% sure that another one is, but I've got the flu and a migraine, so everything is super serious. >:

Also, I think trolling is stupid, so I give people poorly made socks for it even if I like them.

Edited by goose

A safe space is a place where you are free to speak your mind without fearing repercussions.

Um no, that is not the currently popular understanding of a "safe space".

From Wiki.

"The term safe space has been extended to refer to a space for individuals who feel marginalized to come together to communicate regarding their experiences with marginalization, typically on a university campus."

That is literally the opposite of what you are describing. If your idea of speaking your mind happens to offend one of these special snowflake people who "feel marginalized", you should expect to be shouted down, berated, and attacked in a very ironically marginalizing way.

Basically it's a "place" where freedom of speech and opposing ideas are aggressively suppressed, the exact opposite of being able to "speak your mind".

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

That "extension" as described by Wikipedia fits what goose wrote provided you know what repercussions means and don't believe the phrase "please don't do that here" is the same as "[being] shouted down, berated, and attacked."

Y'all keep custard that chicken though. You're doing great.

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

That "extension" as described by Wikipedia fits what goose wrote provided you know what repercussions means and don't believe the phrase "please don't do that here" is the same as "[being] shouted down, berated, and attacked."

Y'all keep custard that chicken though. You're doing great.

It's not "please don't do that here", it's "If you say (or don't say), that word, or that phrase, or that idea here you will be sanctioned/belittled/characterized/charged/fired."

That is still literally the opposite of "speaking your mind", despite your claims to the contrary.

For a great example, just watch the "Free Speech Rally" and how willing they are to hear other opinions, or allow places "where you are free to speak your mind". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFcn775CqAg

It's not "please don't do that here", it's "If you say (or don't say), that word, or that phrase, or that idea here you will be sanctioned/belittled/characterized/charged/fired."

Your hyperbole is unconvincing.

Also, because you provided no evidence to the contrary, I'm gonna go ahead and presume that rally was not meant to be a safe space of any kind and say that video doesn't support your cause in the slightest.

I wonder what purpose this thread even serves now that ACE has weighed in.

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

Your hyperbole is unconvincing.

Also, because you provided no evidence to the contrary, I'm gonna go ahead and presume that rally was not meant to be a safe space of any kind and say that video doesn't support your cause in the slightest.

I wonder what purpose this thread even serves now that ACE has weighed in.

Well, obviously they're waiting for my enlightened responses. I didn't participate in the other threads on this matter so they're just giving credit where its due and allowing me the opportunity to formulate the appropriate responses.

Duh.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

That's all it is. Nothing more and nothing less.

People who complain about safe spaces almost always, in my experience, do so as a direct result of facing repercussions for speaking their mind. BECAUSE THIS IS A FORUM, NOT A SAFE SPACE.

Edit: but yes, clearly the people who need safe spaces are the ones ruining this forum. That logic totally stands up to scrutiny.

Re-edit: in other words, yes. That is exactly my point, coolwaters. This is NOT a safe space. This was NEVER a safe space. This place has moderators and rules. There are in-forum consequences for breaking those rules, and there will be in-game consequences for offending other people. That is the literal custard opposite of a safe space.

So all the people whining that all the special snowflakes who need a safe space are somehow ruining their moderated forum experience ARE BEING SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES WHO NEED A SAFE SPACE.

And they do not see why. Even though they are reasonable, intelligent human beings. And it makes my custard head hurt.

I believe that people are wanting repercussions in game sandbox style . Not from the unseen moderators. Also as was stated people were and are still concerned about bias from moderators as has happened in many games. 

This'll be the only post I put on here but: as far as I can tell so far...This isn't really about "politics" for the game. I don't think I've seen one post I'd constitute as "politics"...It's pretty much just name-calling, shouting, and general trolling. And it seems like that all a lot of players want is a place to do that in peace. And OK, I get it, you get a kick out of it but if that's what "politics" are going to be in this game...Idk man, pretty depressing.

In terms of favoritism, I'm pretty positive that both members of Sugoi and the other side got warning points.

Edit: and with that I'll be staying far far away from this useless thread

Edited by Jjohnsin

Um no, that is not the currently popular understanding of a "safe space".

From Wiki.

"The term safe space has been extended to refer to a space for individuals who feel marginalized to come together to communicate regarding their experiences with marginalization, typically on a university campus."

That is literally the opposite of what you are describing. If your idea of speaking your mind happens to offend one of these special snowflake people who "feel marginalized", you should expect to be shouted down, berated, and attacked in a very ironically marginalizing way.

Basically it's a "place" where freedom of speech and opposing ideas are aggressively suppressed, the exact opposite of being able to "speak your mind".

While obviously it gets used by everyone differently to suit their current argument or agenda, but the "proper" use of Safe Place pretty sure is for victims of hate speech, bigotry, sexism, homophobia to have a small place for themselves to get a break from it for a second. Why is that a bad thing? Why further degrade that person? So because they want to seek support with others like them, we call them snowflakes, weak, whiners whatever else is the popular meme of the week.

How about we just stop being jerks, grow up, mind your own business and move on with our lives.

Edited by pang

While obviously it gets used by everyone differently to suit their current argument or agenda, but the "proper" use of Safe Place pretty sure is for victims of hate speech, bigotry, sexism, homophobia to have a small place for themselves to get a break from it for a second. Why is that a bad thing? Why further degrade that person? So because they want to seek support with others like them, we call them snowflakes, weak, whiners whatever else is the popular meme of the week.

How about we just stop being jerks, grow up, mind your own business and move on with our lives.

Got em coach!

krevra.png

That's all it is. Nothing more and nothing less.

People who complain about safe spaces almost always, in my experience, do so as a direct result of facing repercussions for speaking their mind. BECAUSE THIS IS A FORUM, NOT A SAFE SPACE.

Edit: but yes, clearly the people who need safe spaces are the ones ruining this forum. That logic totally stands up to scrutiny.

Re-edit: in other words, yes. That is exactly my point, coolwaters. This is NOT a safe space. This was NEVER a safe space. This place has moderators and rules. There are in-forum consequences for breaking those rules, and there will be in-game consequences for offending other people. That is the literal custard opposite of a safe space.

So all the people whining that all the special snowflakes who need a safe space are somehow ruining their moderated forum experience ARE BEING SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES WHO NEED A SAFE SPACE.

And they do not see why. Even though they are reasonable, intelligent human beings. And it makes my custard head hurt.

I mean, the only player I see SHOUTING here is you. Everyone else seems to be pretty calmly going back and forth as to what the word safe means, for reasons that seem pretty silly to me.

Call it what you like. Some folks are asking, calmly, for a place with more freedom to engage in political disputes. It's early for that, so who cares. But shouting down the request as "crying" looks awfully funny when you're the one screaming.