Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

a question about harvesting

Buckly

I know in the BW test the idea is to jump to a gold tool asap.

But if you look at the harvesting skill tree's, once you get into specific resources i.e. iron, and after you train the "iron ore familiarity" skill, it leads into a skill that reduces the amount of decay an iron pickaxe will suffer.

Does this mean that certain resources are better farmed with a certain tool, like iron axe for birch, or iron pickaxe for iron. 

It would make sense...but if it isn't so then I really don't see the point in having to train "iron ore familiarity" before you can lower the durability loss an iron pickaxe takes when harvesting. It would make sense if it reduces the durability ANY tool took harvesting iron, but not the other way around...

Crazy ex-girlfriends are like a box of chocolates...

They'll kill your dog.

I know in the BW test the idea is to jump to a gold tool asap.

But if you look at the harvesting skill tree's, once you get into specific resources i.e. iron, and after you train the "iron ore familiarity" skill, it leads into a skill that reduces the amount of decay an iron pickaxe will suffer.

Does this mean that certain resources are better farmed with a certain tool, like iron axe for birch, or iron pickaxe for iron. 

It would make sense...but if it isn't so then I really don't see the point in having to train "iron ore familiarity" before you can lower the durability loss an iron pickaxe takes when harvesting. It would make sense if it reduces the durability ANY tool took harvesting iron, but not the other way around...

Perhaps you should give feedback in the Testing section if you think its important. The devs haven't got time to read all the forum posts.

Looking for a casual guild ...

Perhaps you should give feedback in the Testing section if you think its important. The devs haven't got time to read all the forum posts.

I first wanted to make sure that I was understanding the mechanics...and that using certain tool types does not increase the quantity of certain resource types.

I am not sure if this was stated by devs in past posts, or if anyone had any relevant information.  Chosen did mention in the post above yours that he didn't see any differences in BW but that is not to say that they don't have the mechanic in the works.

They'll kill your dog.

That's weird, I agree. But look, if you train Iron Ore harvesting branch then most likely you focus on harvesting Iron. So it makes sense to create harvesting tools from the ore you've got plenty of, right?

Edited by sedside

I don't think that is what it means. I think it is just a way to add in more skills and increase the time spent training. I think it is branched off of the specific type only because they haven't found another arbitrarily inflated place for it. It probably makes more sense under the exceptional picks category, since you can't even use anything beyond copper until you train those. It is just all around a really poorly designed skill tree and with any hope it is just a place holder.

Edited by Mytherceria

I mean, if they are moving towards the "you get more copper with an iron pick" direction the skills themselves swill be totally useful.

But the current way it's set up where you just move directly to a gold pick because it gives the most penetration vs every ore type, it is most definitely a useless skill to train.

They'll kill your dog.

That's weird, I agree. But look, if you train Iron Ore harvesting branch then most likely you focus on harvesting Iron. So it makes sense to create harvesting tools from the ore you've got plenty of, right?

That is a great point, but eventually it becomes a useless skill. So while yes having an abundance of iron and having iron picks with more penetration makes sense. Once you move on it becomes totally useless.

They'll kill your dog.

Right now the trees give you more penetration with *all* picks, not just the kind granted by that skill node.

I'm talking about the reduced decay skill that is in each particular branch of the ore familiarity tree.  

Going the route of iron, and training the "Harvest Tool Decay: Iron Pick Rune" gives reduced decay solely for iron pickaxes..but eventually you will not be using iron pickaxes so training it is only useful for a short duration, since it is a T3 skill that seems like a pretty big waste of a skill.

They'll kill your dog.

First, you can't mine certain resources without a certain "level" of rune pick material.  I got given gold to get to gold, but I believe you need to use tin to get silver, then silver to get gold. This will eventually be further gated by harvesting pick training line, as in until you train the right level you can't equip tin/silver/gold picks.

Second, the higher the material "level" of the pick, the faster the nodes are harvested as more damage is done with each swing.  Tried that with the basic ax, and gold ax was faster.

The level of the tool material does not appear to have any impact on the amount of resources generated, only on how much damage and how fast you break a particular node.

Hope that helps.

First, you can't mine certain resources without a certain "level" of rune pick material.  I got given gold to get to gold, but I believe you need to use tin to get silver, then silver to get gold. This will eventually be further gated by harvesting pick training line, as in until you train the right level you can't equip tin/silver/gold picks.

Second, the higher the material "level" of the pick, the faster the nodes are harvested as more damage is done with each swing.  Tried that with the basic ax, and gold ax was faster.

The level of the tool material does not appear to have any impact on the amount of resources generated, only on how much damage and how fast you break a particular node.

Hope that helps.

Related to this...

Doing more damage with each swing --> lose less stamina --> don't need as much food --> don't need to spend as much time getting apples

Edited by narsille

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

I'm talking about the reduced decay skill that is in each particular branch of the ore familiarity tree.  

Going the route of iron, and training the "Harvest Tool Decay: Iron Pick Rune" gives reduced decay solely for iron pickaxes..but eventually you will not be using iron pickaxes so training it is only useful for a short duration, since it is a T3 skill that seems like a pretty big waste of a skill.

I completely agree. I have suggested in the past that they change those skills to be based on the node you are harvesting, rather than the type of pick. So harvesting iron would cause less decay regardless of whether you are using a copper pick or a gold pick.