Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fantastikon

Crowfall with Steam Controller

I love playing with a controller. Getting a Steam Controller was an awesome buy for me personally. It works gloriously with Star Wars the Old Republic, and it has to work great with Crowfall.

I tried setting it up last night but ran into a weird problem. Steam doesn't seem to recognize the Crowfall application when it is running, so the specific controller setup is missing.

I've tried pointing the Steam shortcut to both the launcher and the client. When I point it to the launcher, clicking Play in steam launces the launcher, as it should, and from there I can log in and play Crowfall as usual, but Steam doesn't recognize it, and the controller just goes with its desktop settings. 

When I point it to the client instead, clicking play launches the client directly, which brings me to the login screen in the client (which I've understood was used before the updater/launcher got into use), bypassing the updater/launcher.

At this point Steam recognizes the game, and my controller settings work as they should, but the game (predictably, since we should use the launcher/updater) doesn't let me log in. Nothing happens when I try to proceed after filling in my account and password. It's not frozen, clicking quit works as it should. It just doesn't let me log in.

Pointing the Steam shortcut to the launcher works fine with Swtor. Clicking play in steam launches the Swtor updater/launcher, and when in the actual game, Steam recognizes it and the controller settings work.

Anyone has any ideas of how to solve this?

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

well for an action oriented game a keyboard+mouse is objectively superior than any controller, you just have a much more accuracy and flexibility with keyboard+mouse. (granted the steam controller specifically is better than other "normal" controller, but still not near as good as keyboard+mouse)

That said is kinda common for launcher to mess up interfaces and such (which is what the steam controller relies on to work), and this game is even in pre-alpha so I wouldn't expect it to work anytime soon, if ever

well for an action oriented game a keyboard+mouse is objectively superior than any controller, you just have a much more accuracy and flexibility with keyboard+mouse. (granted the steam controller specifically is better than other "normal" controller, but still not near as good as keyboard+mouse)

That said is kinda common for launcher to mess up interfaces and such (which is what the steam controller relies on to work), and this game is even in pre-alpha so I wouldn't expect it to work anytime soon, if ever

Wouldn't dream of being snarky, but your first point is quite beside the point of how to make it work if one, as I do, wishes to, don't you agree? :)

Your second point, yeah, but I have had such good experiences before using the steam controller with M+KB games, so I was really hoping for it here as well.

o8WHnLc.png

now!

Thing is that the controller settings work when I let steam launch the actual client. The problem then is that I can't get past the old login screen. Logging in from the updater and launching the client from steam gives two running instances of the client, one that is logged in properly and one where I'm stuck at the old login screen but where the controller settings work.

o8WHnLc.png

now!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013P0HW7K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=VV48UD1PW6WH&coliid=I2MUQZ93FFORZP

this is what i am after... you get the joystick on the side that give you a one click menu type wheel to access skills... that way i should be able to keep strafing and cast/using at the same time. kinda spendy but...

I recommend you try it out first before you buy. I have rather small fingers or hands and I was not able to reach all keys in a comfortable way. Even after adjusting the size and shape of the palm rest.

Same for the Steam Controller. If you have to reach for the buttons you are not able to use it efficiently. It is not made for smaller hands. The Xbox 360 controller fits me like a glove.

Burned myself a few times now on hardware that didn't fit me. I'll test controllers and other game hardware out first in retail stores now a days.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I love the Steam Controller. Though I find that games on the Steam App, are the only games that work proper like. I got other games off Ubisoft's app, ported those game into Steam, though the controller works, the support is shabby and isn't worth playing. The game in Beta however I downloaded from the Steam and I must say, the controller worked awesomely. 

So to be honest they would most likely have to purchase a licence "For controller support", or make the game supported by Steam's app, with the expectation Steam will support the controller. 

I agree I think the controller will make the game better, if they put the time and effort into it. That means making a skill system, condensed into controller layout. I think like the current skill types, would work well with some rules. Abilities like Charged attacks, channeled attacks, could be made for soft pull triggers. Instant casts could be put on, normal trigger  buttons. Using the left bottom button like a ALT  button, would expand the trigger buttons from 4 buttons to 8 (I like to think, limiting the combat abilities is good. It'll be easier to learn each class and also, will be something of easier management. Also if there is like the Ranger multiprupose classes, this will limit each to ranged or melee fast swap). The right bottom button could be used as a shift for run and walk, then with the left bottom button help as a dodge or roll. (Also there's the option to, set the right bottom button as a second ALT. This will increase the trigger options, from 4, 8 to 12 even 16 buttons.). The game pads I think will be nice, at least compared to WASD. This isn't always true, in the sense of Ranged combat. There would have to be some aim helper, for the ranged classes. Though I think that could go well, when balancing Ranged vs Melee. This would make a option like, accuracy buffing to add the Ranged aim helper. (Also there is a option to use the pads with both, the Inner and outer ring radius. Using this option for, run and walk is interesting. And more on the pads, using the pad as a button could make the character roll or dodge. The left pad button press for aimed rolling, based of the direction you're pressing. The right pad aimed dodge, based on the camera and the direction you're pressing.) The 4 A, B, X and Y buttons used for menus, social and field functions would work. Select could be used, to toggle the Combat and Field modes. Start used for the main menu, finally the center button is open for suggestions. I could easily go into deeper detail, about how each layout could work best. Though at this point, I've only play Templar and Ranger so far. It'll be some time, before I will make my own post, detailing these things. I will try to update here, so you can be aware, when I make me detailed post.

I've thought about using the Steam controller for other games, as you maybe able to tell. It's just getting people to notice the controller, isn't going to be easy. Also getting the controller supported even harder, due to the fact not so many people own one. We'll see how they look at controller support. Package deal with the controller, could be away to sell things. 

Edited by CyberSam

On 12/19/2016 at 1:20 PM, ClockworkOrange said:

Stop trying to be a console gamer and embrace your PC. Hug it, cherish it, make love to it.

Half the point of being PC Master Race is not only doing things that console peasants can't do BUT also doing the things they can but BETTER and have then having choice between them to boot. Steam Controller in thoroughly in the PC master race circle.

Saying that, however, I don't think Crowfall is a good game to play with a controller and I'm pretty sure it'll never be.

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

On 12/19/2016 at 3:20 PM, ClockworkOrange said:

Stop trying to be a console gamer and embrace your PC. Hug it, cherish it, make love to it.

How dare you tell him how to play.

I play a ton of console but I am sorry Controller will not work for this game. Far too many buttons to press during combat, would be very annoying. Then again, Blizzard did an amazing job with the controls for consoles for Diablo 3 so who knows..

Edited by Leocarian

On 8/5/2017 at 0:43 AM, Leocarian said:

I play a ton of console but I am sorry Controller will not work for this game. Far too many buttons to press during combat, would be very annoying. Then again, Blizzard did an amazing job with the controls for consoles for Diablo 3 so who knows..

You don’t know what you are talking about. 

32 minutes ago, Tark said:

You don’t know what you are talking about. 

And since you do...how about you explain instead of being an ass? I like how people are so quick to call someone out or something or take a jab at somebody and yet they have nothing to show for it or explain themselves to try and prove a point. Funny, how the most snowflakes get around.

Edited by Leocarian

I am not at liberty to discuss.  They have talked about controller support in their videos and it is something they are keeping in mind.